Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Electric fan advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ken arms, Apr 27, 2020.

1. ken arms

ken arms

Hi folks, I want to install an electric fan on my 34ford, it has a walker radiator and I'm running a flathead. Is there some better than others? Some with better mounting? Any advice is welcome, I have never used one so I want to be sure to do it right. Thanks Ken

2. Spal makes good ones. Use a good relay and wire it properly. I run one on my coupe, blown 406. Has never over heated. I made my own mounts for the fan.

3. I am happy with the Cooling Components fan and shroud. I believe CC is a Walker company.

Phil

i.rant, rockable and olscrounger like this.
  4. Cooling components fit the Walker real well. Only needs four small sheet metal screws. My old coupe had one for years. As stated above you need a good battery, alternator and correct size wiring along with a relay. Don't forget a good ground.

cpd682, Truckdoctor Andy and rockable like this.

5. 42merc

42merc

I run a Cooling Components fan with a Walker radiator on my off topic car, works great.

rockable and olscrounger like this.
  6. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

If you use a thermostat sending switch to turn the fan on and off I would also wire in a manual on/off switch. If I am in heavy traffic I like to turn on the fan before the temp sensor turns on the fan to stay ahead of rising temp.

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

https://deltapag.com/

One of the best brands made.
    Well designed fan blades, well designed motors, what else is there ?
    Very low current drag also.

Mike

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have Cooling Componants on two of mine, good product. Don't think they are a Walker radiator company though.

olscrounger likes this.
  9. 4tford

4tford

I have a cooling components on my 40 ford it keeps my 392 hemi running cool on a walker becool aluminum radiator. The shroud and fan fit radiator very good. I believe the total depth was 4 1/2 inches with shroud.

olscrounger likes this.
  10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Is there such a thing as an electric fan that doesn't look like a plastic piece of crap?

I would try one of these if I thought it would fit..

shopping.jpeg

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

o_O Uh, me thinks that's worser.

I think a guy could build a nice fan shroud, bury the electric fan inside it, rig up a set of louvers that close when it is at the show so you cant see the fan and open when you are under way. Louvers can be electric opening or just blow open when the fan turns on. Of course if you have that much room why wouldn't you just run a belt driven fan?

nochop, Blue One, clem and 2 others like this.
  12. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I have gone to brushless fans since talking to spal at sema , not familiar with the delta brand above , but see they also offer brushless. Advantage of variable speed with less electrical system shock (amp draw).

mad mikey likes this.
  13. Spal is a good fan, if you need the installation kit, buy it with the fan and save some bucks and guess work.

mad mikey likes this.
  14. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Running Spal here. Changing this year from straight blade to curved blade, supposed to move the same amount of air with less fan noise.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nochop, bobss396 and mad mikey like this.
  15. Gman0046

Gman0046

Spal fans are OEM equipment on Ferrari's. They are not a POS. Ferrari doesn't use them for no reason.

Truckdoctor Andy and mad mikey like this.
  16. Using dual SPAL fans on an OT car. Been running them for 4 years, and no problems so far - they move a LOT of air. Downside is that they're pretty noisy (straight blades), but with a good radiator and a thermostat kit they don't run very often.

Make sure you use proper wire gauge, relays and fuses.

mad mikey likes this.
  17. chargin03

chargin03

Cooling Components

olscrounger likes this.
  18. Electric fans are noisy, this is why I like to run it as a back-up only. But OEM fans on newer cars seem to be a lot quieter. I'll have to listen to my OT ride to compare it to the Spal I have in my Ford.

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, I'm not a "fan" of electrics...:rolleyes:

20. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

What ever you do get a curved blade the straight blades one are loud. don’t ask me how I know but I should have spent a few more bucks and get the curved one, opps. I use it as a back up only when sitting in traffic.

21. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

Cooling Components. Can hardly hear it run.

olscrounger likes this.
  22. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

I have a Walker radiator and no mechanical fan. The Spal electric fan I have never gets used if the car is moving. If at a stop light for more than a few minutes I turn it on. Toggle switch and relay, no thermostat

Paul likes this.
  23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

You say you're running a flathead. hope it's on 12V. 6V fans are sorta scarce. I agree with the Spal if you gotta use one.

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't like them either but if you have to, you have to. Mine on my 34 Ford. Brassworks radiator/shroud/spal fan all courtesy of Lee.
    upload_2020-4-30_12-38-20.png
    And a shot of it installed
    upload_2020-4-30_12-41-29.png
    You cant see it, you cant hear it, it doesn't have cooling issues, on a 180 thermos switch and an override switch, works absolutely perfect.
    Never had one person walk up and say, "ah electric fan huh? Too bad." :cool:

25. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Spal is a great brand. Mount it to a shroud in a puller fashion. Doesn't need to be very deep, 1/2-inch or so from the core is fine. Don't use the cheap plastic zip-tie mounting deals. You can bury an electric fan in a deep shroud (stock style) and make it disappear fairly effectively. I like to wire them through a relay and a thermoswitch and call it a day. That way, the fan only runs when it needs to and you won't forget to switch it on when it gets hot and off when you park.

26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Just got my latest issue of Hot Rod (June 2020). Recommend anyone having electric fan cooling problems get a copy of the magazine. It points out that often the fans are not operating at correct speed because of low voltage.......like might occur at idle. Things like voltage drop due to wire size, alternator output at idle, pulley size etc. Then it goes into some good radiator selection explanation. I'd recommend a buying a copy.............