Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rescued an HO model train layout...

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by NoSurf, Apr 13, 2020.

1. NoSurf

NoSurf

My neighbor sent me a link off of FB marketplace. A guy in NH had bought a house and was getting rid of an HO model train layout that was in the basement. It is 15 ft by 7 ft.

HO-2.jpg

It unbolts into 4 pieces. I bought it.

I am going to try and set it up in my basement- I need to move some things around first.

Here are the pieces as stowed in my barn for now.

And a couple detail shots:

All I have is the track. No locomotives or rolling stock. No transformers etc.

I think it was started in the late 1960s, and I don't think the guy who built it ever finished it.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That is cool as shit!

biggeorge, Sancho and NoSurf like this.
  3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of time went into that bridge work!

biggeorge, VANDENPLAS and NoSurf like this.
  4. Yes very cool. I used to have trains long ago. Something soothing about sitting in the middle a d watching them go by. I had one that made smoke.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

NoSurf likes this.

5. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I can see you in your overalls and engineer's cap now! Angie will never get you out of the barn if you get that going!! This thing is amazing!!!

biggeorge and NoSurf like this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

really bitchin man.....

Sancho and NoSurf like this.
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Cool as can be! One of my cousins was big into HO trains, he had a 4x8 plywood setup on cables hanging from the ceiling, he could raise it to the ceiling out of the way or drop it down to table height. His was detailed, but nothing like that one!

I tried to set up one for my boys with some stuff my cousin gave me and some stuff we bought. Never did get far with it, finally took it all apart and put it in boxes. I need to drag it out for the Grandson, he’ll get a kick out of it.

NoSurf likes this.
  8. It looks as if it has hand laid track. Does it? If so that is a lot of work but the best overall appearance and reliability when done right.

NoSurf likes this.
  9. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Man thats cool, I'd like to build a setup like that for my son one day.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

NoSurf likes this.
  10. NoSurf

NoSurf

Thanks guys. It is pretty cool. I did find a name and address on it, so I might be able to find out about the guy that built it.

It is remarkable the whole world of model trains and HO in particular.

Yes- I believe all the track is hand-laid.

My youngest daughter said I am a hoarder....

biggeorge likes this.
  11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

nice find! Lots of thinking went into that layout. Post pics when you get it running.

12. Tell her the proper term is,"Indiscriminate Accumulator of All Things" lol Great train set up by the way.

13. philo426

philo426

Looks like hand laid track and the trestles look hand built.When you set it up I will send you this.. 20200414_194353.jpg

14. That is one nice model train setup! NoSurf always has cool stuff.

NoSurf likes this.
  15. Road Racer

Road Racer

good job, I am attempting an G Gauge layout in the yard but still have my Lionel!

NoSurf likes this.
  16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Besides the handlaid track, another sign of quality is that it isn't simply laid down on a piece of plywood, the roadbed is separately constructed and supported.

NoSurf likes this.
  17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Good luck. It looks well designed.

NoSurf likes this.
  18. NoSurf

NoSurf

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Cool. Hate to say it, but this is also time to hang new lights, add power outlets, paint the walls and floor, add a dropped ceiling, etc.. Once you start doing the modeling / scenery you will wish you had done all that first as it is a lot harder to do later. Good luck.

Hotdoggin DaddyO and NoSurf like this.
  20. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Years ago as a member of the National Woodie Club we were invited to view a model train set up in Denver, his collection could only be described as massive. I asked if he had ever considered painting graffiti on his train sets to add modern realism, he gave me a horrified look and a stern NO!!!!

21. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I'm amazed how you have a basement that's more or less empty to set up the layout! Or "Pike" as they used to say.

I pretty much filled up my basement with crap as I moved in.

echo ed and NoSurf like this.
  22. That's Damn COOL! The 4x6 layout my dad and I started when I was 10 is still in his basement like we left it. Never did get it done. I like how you moved the joist supports.

NoSurf likes this.
  23. DJ Bill

DJ Bill

Wow....a setup that was removable without destroying it. Try to keep it modular as you build it up. And power it up before going any further to check out the trackwork....

You wouldn't believe how many beautiful layouts get destroyed as houses get sold, folks pass on, divorces happen, etc. Thousands get spent on the hobby, but the widows end up paying to remove the white elephant in the basement. All because nobody planned on it going back out of the basement.

Beautiful layout so far! Have fun with it!

NoSurf likes this.
  24. NoSurf

NoSurf

Thanks guys. The weather has been better for outdoor and workshop activities, but I have managed to get some temp power to one part of the track. I had to clean/buff the tracks to get good contact. I scrounged around and found a box of HO stuff I had bought several years ago and now I have 4 power packs to try and get each section powered up. I have alot of repairs to do where each track section meets up, as some damage has occurred in those areas. It looks like there are a bunch of remote solenoids underneath for the switches that are gummed up that all need to be cleaned also.

25. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Memories...

Mt dad was big into HO trains when I was a kid. We had a bedroom dedicated to his layout and a whole wall with narrow shelves that stored his engines and cars. He and his dad both worked for Frisco Lines so he had an attachment to the RR.

I got into N scale for a bit, bit the car bug just would not let go.

Yours looks like a very well thought out setup!

NoSurf likes this.
  26. Mike-model

Mike-model

I like the setup, seems a great foundation. Lots of trains can run at the same time on it. Great is my opinion the way the track feeds into the yard, plus some extra passing possibilities on the other side. This entry coming from a tunnel would be a great view. The radius turns look to handle longer engines and cars, but I'd think this size would be more of smaller car type, freight trains! Stand alone in the middle ....Yep, I like it. Good luck with it, you did good.

NoSurf likes this.
  27. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

The locomotive pictured is an Emd SD-9 circa 50's

NoSurf likes this.
  28. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

29. philo426

philo426

Yep and it runs great!