Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Re-torque after 10 idle years?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KingofThings, Apr 27, 2020.

1. KingofThings

KingofThings

Re-torque after 10 idle years?
    -
    My 350 Chevy engine had an issue in that I actually had to hone out a cylinder by hand to bring it up to 40 over. ( the others are 30 )
    Then I put it all back together but due to family issues I never fired her up.
    So what are your opinions please?
    Leave the heads and intake alone and fire her up after careful pre-lubricating all cylinders and running up the oil pressure manually, or should I re-torque them?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  2. Arominus

Arominus

If they were properly torqued to start I don’t know that it would be an issue. That said, if your concerned about how long it’s sat you might just eat a set of gaskets and pull it apart to clean and relubricate everything before you fire up. Assembly lube does get hard and nasty after a while. Good call on the cylinder lube too!

Protect your investment!

KingofThings and squirrel like this.
  3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Depends if you used self-loosening bolts. If you used the perma-torque variety you should be golden.

Definitely give it a squirt and a tickle, things are always better when properly lubricated.

KingofThings and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  4. Heads are fine,,,,,,,you have the right game plan.
    Lube all cylinders,,,,,rotate assembly several revolutions,,,,,prelube the system.
    It should work out great .

Tommy

KingofThings likes this.

5. Boulderdash

Boulderdash

If you honed .010" by hand, I'd be more concerned about the bore being true top to bottom.

6. KingofThings

KingofThings

I’ve thought this too and I happen to have another set of gaskets anyway. Thank you for your opinion. :)

7. KingofThings

KingofThings

I don’t think I’ve known of that type of bolt. I probably used the original bolts though the intake bolts were replaced. I’ll see if I did replace the head bolts. If I decide to go with Arominus’ option I’ll replace them.
    Thank you! :)

8. KingofThings

KingofThings

Ok thank you! :)

9. KingofThings

KingofThings

I’m a fabricator of many decades and quite careful. This cylinder was tediously snap-gauged so it is pretty dang near as perfect as can be in this way. It’s crosshatched and there aren’t any divots anywhere. I was extremely lucky to be able to save it.
    Let this be a warning to you all to never leave the exhaust pipes open to the weather. :(
    It took weeks of soaking in various lubricants then about an hour or two a day of beating on the top of the piston with an 8 pound shortened sledge on a block of 2x4.. Then from underneath with a hickory axe handle and the sledge. I did this for at least 9 days! Finally it moved almost imperceptibly and I continued beating it until the piston moved and partially broke up.
    I weighed every piece on a gram scale I bought just for this and got Summit to send me a 40 over matching piston within 2 grams of the original. They also sent the ring set.

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks