Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The time has come... 327 in a '40 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pinstriper40, Mar 6, 2020.

1. RmK57

RmK57

Two out three ain't bad.;)

loudbang likes this.
  2. I put a gold SBC in a 40 sedan once! Go man Go!

Zora.jpg IMG_4733.jpg IMG_4732.jpg

Tickety Boo, Baumi, slug and 18 others like this.
  3. old skoool

old skoool

Most popular accessory in an early Ford!

E21EFC8E-2D91-4553-A6B7-0F122E111E13.jpeg

Blues4U, slug, The 39 guy and 13 others like this.
  4. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two out of Three??? Shit... And here I thought I hit the Tri-Fecta. :confused:

enloe, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And here I thought facebook was getting weird.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

like I said ,yet to put a fomoco in anything . even a ford ! but after all my big,little ,mouse, rat , and buicks when I really wanted torque . I m now getting so old or bored? im really starting to like 6s . what else can ya do to be novel. everything old is new again!!

7. nexxussian

nexxussian

Soooo, what you putting your 500 Cadillac in? (you said Torque ;) ).

loudbang likes this.
  8. nexxussian

nexxussian

Just out of curiosity, why take the stroke out? If you have a good crank for the 350 already, it would be somewhat less expensive to use that, and the extra CID than the aftermarket crank. Not knocking it, just curious, as on the street it seems unlikely to notice, unless you want to kill the small amount of torque the longer stroke would give (damn small at that with both properly built).

Not a problem if you're taking stoke out of a 350, unless you've come up with a small journal 350, which you should be able to sell for the date code, for enough to build a large journal equivalent.

Dangit, too quick on the "post button"

9. nexxussian

nexxussian

That looks Bitchin!

I especially like the High Carb Diet. :D

FWIW, I've got a stroked 302 (331) "Windsor" in my avatar (it's lower to the ground now, that's the "before" picture) I still get flak from random numb nuts for putting a "chevy" in it. :confused:

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  10. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I've got a sbc in my '40 now, was put in almost 40 years ago in the early 80s. My first hotrod in 1962 was a '47 Tudor that I put a '57 283 into. Local NASCAR guy who owned a welding shop helped me rebuild the motor I got from local junk yard (Volce Bros on 9G near Poughkeepsie, NY for the local guys). Hell that was 58 years ago, old days as far as I am concerned.

11. The Reaper

The Reaper
    from Visalia CA

It's a natural choice to put a Chevrolet in a Ford ! After all, Louis Chevrolet , founded the Frontenac Motor Corporation in 1916 , to make racing part's for Ford car's !

Sent from my moto e5 plus using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Baumi and Pinstriper40 like this.
  12. pitman

pitman

13. RmK57

RmK57

Just like shopping at Walmart or eating at McDonald's, it's easy.............

warbird1 and loudbang like this.
  14. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

my pinstriped firewall on my 40 sedan 2018-06-29 01.31.18.jpg 2017-12-03 04.54.19.jpg

Tickety Boo, pitman, slug and 5 others like this.
  15. TaterTots

TaterTots

Pinstriper40, sorry to be posting on here but I just cant figure out how to reply to classifieds or even start a conversation (even from my PC) what's the best way to get a hold of you for some of your classified parts?

Thanks,
    Alex from Greeley

16. Place your cursor over his avatar pic, click onto "start a conversation".

loudbang likes this.
  17. TaterTots

TaterTots

18. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

loudbang likes this.
  19. TaterTots

TaterTots

Alright thanks, that isn’t on the FAQ page so I guess I missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  20. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Prepare To Have Fun And Meet Some Folks With Opinions.. 19560201.jpg

Stogy, Baumi, enloe and 6 others like this.
  21. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Quick update... I bought a Walker radiator the day I found out they went out of business, and I am trying to find a good Muncie 4 speed... I'm getting the 6 cylinder rebuilt in my van, then after that I'll be focusing on getting the 327 for the 40 looked at. I'm really looking forward to getting it back on the road and driving it all summer! IMG_20201215_191212_01.jpg

22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

very cool

loudbang likes this.
  23. Just seeing this thread. DANG...2020 really screwed up a lot of stuff!

(I dig 327s)

24. BTW...is the Muncie reference above indicating a change in direction from using the 5 speed to going to a 4 speed? I don't remember what ya got out back, and I will advise ya that if you are going with a floor shifter, it may wind up being REALLY tight at the front of the seat.

guthriesmith, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I love to read some of the replies and indignation of some over another old Ford getting a SBC! Nothing is more traditional than a SBC in an old Ford! People can poo poo it, and get disgusted with "yet another SBC" in a early Ford; but I like it. Especially so with the 4 carb intake, and old Corvette style valve covers.
    When it comes to building a dependable, quick, and inexpensive hotrod, it's always my choice to do a boring SBC install. Both of mine have boring SBC engines!

Stogy, LOU WELLS, Baumi and 5 others like this.
  26. mvee33

mvee33

So going to a Muncie.
    The 327 and 4 speed is a great classic combo but as bchrismer has mentioned will have challenges.
    Shifter mechanism clearance for both the seat and chassis will be an issue, a T and F front mounted shifter will solve both problems but hard to find, otherwise chassis or shifter mods will be needed.
    To operate the clutch, one method is to use a 39 type pedal with shaft rotated 180 degrees and the linkage extended, this is joined to a pull rod/cable/chain linked to a shortened Chev clutch lever, (for pedal clearance) then into a bellhousing with the clutch lever opening at 8 o clock, there are other options.
    Shifter rod clearance, adjustability, enough clutch travel and straight alignment to the clutch fork all need to be considered, but that is what Hot Rodding is all about.
    See the very useful thread here on the HAMB, hydraulic v mechanical v cable.
    Good luck with a very worthwhile project

loudbang and Pinstriper40 like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Something to consider when choosing a Muncie are the rear gear ratio/tire diameter.
    The M-20 has the lower first gear (higher numerically) at 2.52 where the M-21 is a 2.20.
    This plays a big roll in getting a car rolling from a dead stop, especially important with heavier cars, add in a rear gear in the 3.08 range and the need to regularly slip the clutch will play a roll in clutch longevity.
    Issues with shifter location will depend on the tailhousing chosen and type of shifter used.
    Tailhousings with the speedometer exiting on the passenger side will have a forward set of shifter mounting bosses gaining some forward shifter positioning options, there are many replacement shifter handles offered from Hurst to help in shifter positioning.
    This is the M-20 for my 67 Nova, it uses the shortest shifter rods, note the short reverse rod.
    20180529_061436.jpg

pitman, enloe, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  28. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I know you want a Muncie but I wouldn't be afraid of a well built Saginaw 4 speed especially with only 7"? of rubber on the ground in the rear. With a Saginaw you can gain an inch or 2 on shifter placement by making your own shifter plate and moving it as far forward as possible. The Saginaw reverse lever being up with the others make it a snap!

29. Yeah, I'm a fan of the 3 groove Saginaw 4 speeds. I'm running one in my coupe using the column shifter to avoid all the floor shifter issues, and I've got one in my panel truck behind the flatty.

loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  30. Times sure have changed; either Saginaw 4 spds have grown balls or the driver's have shrunken. Those things blew up quite regularly in olden times.