Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Saving Dominique - Now with (slow) build thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Barn Hunter, Nov 24, 2019.

1. cfmvw

cfmvw

Have you tried to track down the original builder of the car? Not sure if he is around anymore, but if he is, he might be able to provide you with some insight and information on the build.

loudbang, Thor1, Barn Hunter and 2 others like this.
  2. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I think I might have tracked down his sons. Fingers crossed. I'm going to send an email to them tomorrow.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  4. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

So...internet research pays off. I did find that Les had 3 sons. Unfortunately Les passed many years ago. 2 of his sons have also passed. I found an old facebook page from one of the sons who passed in 2016 and he had been posting in 2013 and 2014 looking for the car. I wish I had found Dominique while he was still here as he seemed to be most knowledgeable about the car. I am now in touch with the 3rd son and have asked if he has any memories or old pics...anything that he can share. He told me that the car was built at Anchor Yacht Basin in Miami (which his dad owned). His dad was getting pulled over too often, sometimes for tickets, sometimes just to look at the car. After a while he sold it to the then president of Allied Van Lines. Keeping my fingers crossed for lots more info.:)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  6. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Anchor Yacht Basin built custom wooden cabin cruisers in the early 60's. He confirmed that the dash rail was mahogany and was built in the shop. The grille was also built in the shop. He said the paint was white with real pearl. Was that really a thing at that time? He might have some old black and white photos...I hope he can find them.

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

End of 50s n early 1960s,cool paints were very new ! Metallic's,flakes of def size,candy's,pearls,dayglos were a big deal.
    The way they were described*,was a thing of making impression. Not always out right fact,but not misleading ether but only away of description of colors look.
    Point is,I painted show card signs in the early 60s,and played the game.
    My full custom"J" was "Ox Blood with real Gold Flake". Hope that's some help about finding paint for restore.

Just things; In the early 70s Bob at Anchor Marine had got a SW Engine Balancer,same kind as I used at my speed shop,needed to ask some Qs about how to balance some types parts. I show how for him,but he didn't do many engines. There were back then only three engine Balancer's in south Florida. Billy Ore,me and then Bob at Anchor. Southeast Machine got one in the 80s. I'm not sure,but thought it was the machine from Anchor.

8. It was probably Murano Pearl that was used. It was banned due to it not being very safe. Very hard to find the original stuff. PPG now has a Pearl they call Murano Pearl and I have heard a few people say it's the closest anyone has come to reproducing the original but I have never seen either so can't comment on the veracity of that.

CCC-Mureno-Mearl-Comp-Paint-Jars.jpg

9. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

IIRC back in the day the "pearl" was actually fish scales, the health issues were from lead in the paint.

Stogy, SS327, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  10. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Thanks for that info...that's cool. If it has the same look, that's what I'll be after. Coves were metalflake gold.

Stogy, dana barlow, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  11. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Found another pic of Dominique. Feb. 1964 Custom Craft. This is the latest pic I have found in a magazine. 6th magazine so far....hope to find more. 20200420_164256 (2).jpg

12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good find on the photo. Can't help saying the Ford with those headlights made it look like a Cornbinder pick-up truck...Dominique is much classier

13. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Thanks! The devil is in the details. This is a good picture to demonstrate that when Les built the car, he put the light housings so that the horizontal lines were parallel with the ground. I've seen quite a few other customs that have '58 Lincoln headlights and the housings were put at different angles so the lines are cockeyed. That always bothered me.

14. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Parallel to ground lines on the lights is way better. Any Angle would drive me nuts every time I look at it. But then again I always find myself doing little things that no one sees on some aspects of a build.

Can't wait to watch your progress

15. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Update....The original builders son sent me a couple of snapshots that he found. These were during the build. dom1.jpg dom2.jpg

16. Cool. Don't suppose he had any idea on the grill emblem?

loudbang and Barn Hunter like this.
  17. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Unfortunately, no. And I did ask him. Hopefully he'll come up with some more pics.

18. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Hi guys....we're back. I sold the engine and got a down payment just about the time the covid mess hit. Soooo fast forward to Jan.1. The guy came to finish the transaction....pics included. 20220101_115745 (2).jpg 20220101_123652 (2).jpg 20220101_135339 (2).jpg

19. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I hope you kept the chrome engine mount.

Stogy, loudbang, Barn Hunter and 2 others like this.
  20. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I kept it.

Okie Pete, dana barlow, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  21. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Glad to see a fresh report on this gem. Keep 'em comin'!

scotty t, Thor1, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  22. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The custom version of this car is gorgeous. Would be amazing to see that out and about again.

Stogy, dana barlow, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  23. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It'll just be nice to see this gem out and about, no matter what iteration he decide's to go with. ;):cool:

Thor1, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Good News that is...Whew...:D

Seriously that middle pic with the hood off looks like it's ready to jump up and bite you...

...as said good to see this back to the top...

Thor1, loudbang, Barn Hunter and 2 others like this.
  25. SS327

SS327

That board you described the builder used was probably (Masonite) and I think they still make it. Probably covered with fiberglass resin.

Joe Travers, Stogy and Barn Hunter like this.
  26. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I've decided to put Dominique up for sale (classifieds) and hope she goes to someone who can do what she deserves. I just don't have the space or means and I want to see her get done!

Okie Pete, Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope it stays within the walls so to speak and you did an admirable job to date of getting the ball rolling...sorry it wasn't in your cards as you really connected with it in so many ways...;)

Thanks for sharing this part in its journey @Barn Hunter

Thor1 and Barn Hunter like this.
  28. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

Not sure how I missed this the first time around but man that car is awesome. Sorry to see you have to let it go.

I suppose on a car like this you cant just getting it running and driving and enjoy it as you build it back to it's former glory? Having a historically modified early Corvette in project state would be awesome and buy you loads of leeway from the purists. That would be living the dream.

I'm sure it has been a tough decision, but I really hope the car stays "here" and out of the hands of someone who does not appreciate what it is. My wife already told me "no" so I am out of the running sadly.

Thor1, Barn Hunter and Stogy like this.
  29. Hate to see you let it go; but at the very least you reconnected the car with it's history. Hopefully the right guy gets it and carries forward.

30. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Bumping this to the top so more like-minded people might see that it's for sale. It deserves a renovation/restoration that embraces uts amazing history. Please post an update when it sells... especially if the new owner starts their own thread. I don't want to miss a minute of it!