Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone running a nailhead in a 53-56 F100?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OL 55, Apr 25, 2020.

1. I’ve got a 401 nailhead I’m thinking of putting in my 53 F100. I’d like to see some pictures and get some insight on how you did it. Make your own mounts, are they available aftermarket? How do they fit etc. Pictures?
    The engine pictured is not mine, the truck is. Thanks for your
    upload_2020-4-25_22-2-21.jpeg

CA4605F3-B483-4AD8-9F87-E5CAFDBF1F79.jpeg

2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Can’t help but will be watching. That green on your truck was the exact green I thought about using on my 53F100, as is usual for me I weenie out and went with my old standby maroon.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and OL 55 like this.
  3. studebaker46

studebaker46

Can't help but great looking truck and great idea,I would think somebody will have some information Tom

OL 55 and loudbang like this.
  4. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Love the Meadow Green!! I have a 300 6 in mine so really can't help with the nail head....

5. 2935ford

2935ford

Man great combo......have at it! :)

6. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

Love that truck. The color is outstanding. As to the swap do a lot of measuring width I don’t think would be an issue but those nailheads are long. Be mindful of radiator / fan position.
    I am sure that this has been done in the past to much good result.
    Good luck with your great looking truck.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. I know a guy in south Texas did one in a '51. Several years ago. Goes by old-tank on the AACA.org forums.

Ben

kidcampbell71, loudbang and OL 55 like this.
  8. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

had a 322 in my 56 adapted to the original trans. homemade mounts but plenty of room for it

9. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i just had a 401 rebuilt,may go in the T Bucket
    not sure yet

loudbang and OL 55 like this.
  10. I did this to a 55 back in 72 or 73. Photos didn't survive the Divorce but I do remember a few things about it. It was a 401 with a switch pitch Turbo. I've done and had many 53-56 F-100's. I currently still have 2. With these trucks I refuse to cut the stock Bellhousing crossmember out. It's very structural in the chassis and cab mounts. Remove it and you'll soon regret it. I found early on Kits generally only get you close, then you get to do the rest on your own. I found a Ford full size car trans crossmember works grate after trimming 1/2" off each end. It will then sit inside the frame rails flat on the bottom flange. You can set it where you need it and drill a 1/2" bolt hole on each side to lock it in. The rubber trans mount can go either way using the Ford unit and making it fit tranny at hand or Buick mount made to fit Ford crossmember. I know I hand built front mounts using a Trans Dapt front unit and making pads to the Buick motor mounts. I also remember the Stock 55 fan shroud worked without messing with it and I used a stock truck Ford-o-matic shift column. I remember starting the job on a Friday after work and driving it to work on following Monday. It took 1/2 a day to convert to 12 volts.

11. Thanks. Lots of good information. Did you have to cut the firewall to make it fit?

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

In the early 70's my friend put a 65 401 naillhead and matching 400 turbo in a 56 F-100. Him and his dad made the mounts and made up the driveshaft, they kept the stock rearend. It was a neat little truck and ran like a raped ape. He painted it Hugger orange and had a sign painter paint a donkey on the tail gate and lettered it DONKEY FREIGHT-HAULIN' ASS

13. Absolutely not. Lots of room. My current 53 runs a Dodge Hemi, lots of room. Should a guy need more length for a motor you can go the 6 cyl rad mount direction and gain another 3". I've never had to do that with any V-8. Check out the length of the Fan spacer to a stock mounted Rad. I could go measure it for ya. I think it's 3.5" long and the fact the back of the block isn't but flush to the firewall. It's not even back in the recess.
    53 F-100  3-19-10 004.jpg

14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A local has an early Ford pickup with a Buick nailhead. We call it BuFord!

15. I just noticed I didn't put what year Ford car trans crossmember I use. Full size 65-66 and 67 no matter what motor/trans is in the car. I understand they aren't as plentiful now as they were in the 70's but they are still out there.

OL 55, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. jaracer

jaracer

This is a Model A, but I used stock Buick mounts and fabricated brackets for them. 2014_11_18_0342.JPG

17. Thanks, I figure I may have to make my own mounts, but I haven’t looked at the aftermarket yet.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. This is a swap I plan to eventually do. I have a 56 truck and a nailhead with a stick lasalle thre speed trans adapted to it. Like mentioned earlier do not cut the rear crossmember. ngines 005.JPG bull & 56 truck 002.JPG

19. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

loudbang, OL 55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. LAROKE

LAROKE

Sometime back I snagged a set of vintage Hurst motor mounts for my nailhead engine. I then went looking for frame mounts to match and found a set of vintage Hurst Frame Adapters 1954-1964 Ford Pickup Truck.

[​IMG]

These items came thru eBay searches. My truck is a '37 Chevy so I'll have to adapt the frame mounts when I get to that build. The point is that something may be out there fitting your needs.

21. Something I found with both the Hurst and Speedway style Frame mounts on the F-100 frames. Also this seems to be more prevalent on Trucks with standard trans behind the Motors. Due to the total width of the truck frame and the length of the bolt/weld mount brackets they seem to fracture out of the frame side rails. For me on this style system I like a full tube across tying both sides together. Something like what Jeg's has as universal #4840 and make my own stands as needed. That eliminates the torque twist between the brackets.

22. Thanks guys. Good information. No one has a nailhead installed in a 53-56 that they can share a picture of? Hard to believe on the H.A.M.B. :)