Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What Model A front spring do I want?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PetesPonies, Apr 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

2. town sedan

town sedan

Careful there, don't bite the hand that's feeding you.

You've been a member here since 2007 and you sound like you joined yesterday.

Attitude? Yep and you've got one too. Relax times are tough right now on everybody.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, but these guys are being nice (for this group anyway) AND trying to help you.
    -Dave

3. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

I don't need anyone telling me what I have to think. I do take offense. If you want to help, then help. If you want me to do as you like, go fly a kite.

4. I’m going to have some tequila and get my kite tuned up. Unless someone wants to talk about dropped spindles

We aren’t going to be able to out smart the spring. Now we got smart springs too??? And you guys thought brake fluid was smart

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    town sedan, X38 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
    wraymen, X38 and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wow! Now we know why the HAMB line is drawn at 1965.

Bob

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reach out to these folks, via your preferred communication method.

http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/contact/

They will hook you up with everything you need in the spring department. It's literally their job.

8. And I've got a front row seat to this!! And we haven't even talked about the brakes yet!!! giphy.gif

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or shocks.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

iSprings: iCoils, iLeafs, and iTorsion bars!

Mmm, tequila.

11. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Not sure what fun you are having now? You started off helping, then changed lanes? I don't get it. I have helped all my life.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you keeping the stock mechanical (non-hydraulic) brakes? There are considerations of control rod geometry here, if you are. Same with shocks, if you still have the original style.

13. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Thank you to blue 49 for actually trying to help. Most of the rest here, I'm sure, were terrible students. Know it-alls, but couldn't do it. The teacher was always wrong, didn't understand. They do best in groups, gather all there strength from such. Seen you all time and time again. I laughed at you in school. of course when you were around. LOL Amazing the pile-on theory. It's low level, right above cave man. But hey, the world is made of many. But if you want to help someone, help. Otherwise, sit on your thumb.

14. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

No, I have '41 spindles. I have F1 backing plates and am using some '64 F100 drums. I upgraded a '64 to 3" wide drums and am using the left over 2" drums on this '30.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good choices.

16. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Thanks. Do you have any insight in regards to using a 2" drop cross member and some yet "unchosen" spring?

17. Looks like if you can restore mustangs, and teach thousands of students, you can handle one antiquated transverse leaf spring issue.

town sedan likes this.
  18. But after my 11th model A, if you're keeping the stock axle, the crossmember from speedway and reversed eyes are your only option.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lowering too much via spring, or crossmember, or both, puts the center of the beam axle ever closer to the frame, limiting your suspension travel. I am not a fan of this. Axles, springs, etc. hitting frames are bad, on all counts.

This where a drop-axle has advantages. The center of the beam axle stays in relationship to the frame, and the ends move up

It's the semi-prehistoric version of a drop spindle.

The one at the top is a stock 1928-1931 A beam axle:
    upload_2020-4-25_21-44-0.png
    The next two down from that have been heated and stretched. The bottom one is shown assembled, and the web of the i-beam has been drilled, for style.

You can see that the location of the kingpin has moved up, in relation to the rest of the axle, while the rest of the axle has remained in the same location.

A dropped spindle moves the spindle snout up, via a new steering knuckle, where it has been made higher up.

A dropped axle moves the spindle snout up, via moving the attachment point up.

town sedan likes this.
  20. lamaison

lamaison
    from Canada

Is this the same one you were putting a Pinto engine into in 2012??

X38 likes this.
  21. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

What about notching the frame slightly if axle to frame clearance is an issue?

22. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I guess it doesn't matter on a hot rod, but the Yogis crossmember looks more like the Ford crossmember. I have less than 2" clearance between my frame and spring and have never seen any evidence of my spring hitting the frame in over 30,000 miles. This is with a Speedway spring with 2 leaves removed, the shortest and the 2nd longest.

Gary

23. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

That's a bunch of miles. Congrats on that!! Thanks

24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Because of a exchange of attitudes, I'm going to close this one for a little bit so the original posted can calm down and the helpers with "suggestions" can relax as there appears to be some "Cool Hand Luke" going on here.
    ( Failure to communicate)

Seems appreciation and patience is thin on this one.

PetesPonies - if you wish to Private Message me - feel free to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.