Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical DeSoto front shock question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Desototaildragger, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Desototaildragger

Desototaildragger
    from Corning Ca

Long term lurker who has learned a lot from the HAMB. I have a '48 DeSoto S11 four door I picked up after years of driving past it. I've been slowly (very slowly) been building it as a very mild custom. Just looking forward to a good solid driver to enjoy and learning as I go.
    Have a question regarding the front shocks. The front end is stock with a Scarebird disc brake kit. Looking at the original shock set up, the shocks mounted to the upper and lower A arms. I'm no genius but seems the compression as the suspension cycled would be very limited and therefore limited dampening.
    I'm not against modifying shock mounting points if it would improve the handling. But I also don't want to over think it and fix something they had figured out just fine.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. choptop40

choptop40

hey hey, make a upper shock mount to the frame instead..thats how its been done...dont have a pic...

3. j hansen

j hansen

Lots of help at p15-d24.com Skärmavbild 2020-04-25 kl. 19.50.56.png

4. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

5. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Rusty Hope sells a relocation kit
    upload_2020-4-25_13-50-17.png

town sedan and GeezersP15 like this.
  6. Desototaildragger

Desototaildragger
    from Corning Ca

Perfect.
    Loads of help fellas. I was considering doing a relocation similar to the rusty hope ones but a little hesitant to start moving shock points around if the originals worked ok. Even though they seemed a poor design.
    Much appreciated.

town sedan likes this.
  7. Desototaildragger

Desototaildragger
    from Corning Ca

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  8. After owning my car since 1971 I decided to update the front shocks, the car, an Oz 1940 Dodge uses Moog cast steel 41-56 upper A arms, stock 1940 lower A arms, 1940 spindle, 1941-56 stub axle, original 1940 shape 1" thick sway bar and heim joints and relocated upper shock mount.......the upper mounts were made of 3/16th plate and bolt to the frame, shocks used were Munro with a 8.5" compressed length and 13" extended length with these numbers stamped into them, 1009 and PK14HA........the car also uses 1955/56 Ford coil springs with 1 coil removed.........the car has a 318 poly & Cast iron Torqueflite so has a little bit extra weight but the shock relocation seems to be o/k........apart from the shock relocation the front end has been like this since the mid 70's............I had these shocks and we, a mate & me decided to try and use them..............the commercially available shock kits use Chev pickup truck front shocks from what I understand as these kits locate the upper shock mount much higher than what we did.............I have attached a couple of pics to give you an idea of the setup.........if you want any more info let me know......Andy Douglas.

Attached Files:

• 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      233.6 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      163.6 KB
      Views:
    • 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      201.3 KB
      Views:
    • 025.JPG
      025.JPG
      File size:
      223.5 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      159.6 KB
      Views:
    jetnow1, Hnstray and town sedan like this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Chrysler had a different idea back then. Their Oiriflow shocks were state of the art, adjusted themselves for smooth or rough roads, and worked well to give a soft ride which is what they were after. The shocks work in and out much less than on conventional setups. Have seen TV commercials for DeSoto of about 1951 or 52 and you can see the front end slowly bouncing up and down like a baby buggy.

If you want a more modern ride and handling relocate the upper mount to the frame and use modern gas shocks.

town sedan likes this.
  10. 41 C28

41 C28

I relocated the front shocks on my 48 Dodge club coupe with the Rusty Hole kit and it was no big deal. Running a 318 in it. Also I have an all stock 41 Chrysler Windsor 4 dr sedan with all original suspension the only exception is it has radial tires. It drives beautifully. Don't know if I would bother to relocate again knowing difference in the two.

town sedan likes this.
  11. Desototaildragger

Desototaildragger
    from Corning Ca

In need of another assist from Desoto guys out there.
    Finally got to the point of putting all the trim back together and remembered the one piece I'm missing.
    Here's hoping someone out there has a spare they will part with. It's the small piece of beltline stainless that spans the cowl from the door trim to the hood on the passenger side.
    I'll include photos of the drivers side piece I have.
    Much appreciated in advance. PXL_20210101_205226201.jpeg PXL_20210101_205219721.jpeg PXL_20201128_005718056.jpeg

Hnstray and Surfcityrocker like this.
  12. BJR

BJR

Get a swan mirror it goes in place of the chrome strip.

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Desototaildragger

With a little patience you could form that missing molding. I made a windshield center divider trim molding from stainless sheet stock. Experimented with a piece or two (or three ?) sheet metal to get my bends spaced correctly, then onto the stainless.

If you can get a another piece of side molding from a like car, it would greatly simplify duplicating what you have. Primarily shortening a piece and shaping the cut end(s) to match the original.

Cool car! One of my earliest childhood old car memories was a DeSoto. It had to have been a ‘42 because I remember the headlights were covered.

Ray

14. Desototaildragger

Desototaildragger
    from Corning Ca

Appreciate it fellas.
    I have a spare rear fender spear trim that's beat up. Profile is a little different but I should be able to adjust it.

15. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

Why dont you try koni special d or qa1 adjustable shocks? Would think they can adjust firm enough with original mounting.