Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cold Welding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Dave, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

So good for sheetmetal repairs if really tightly fitted?

2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

And seriously, does anybody have a clue what language was being spoken?

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

One disadvantage of autogenous welding is that you lose the advantages that can come into the weld and improve the physical and mechanical properties of the weld.

Alloying elements can be added to the weld via the filler rod to make up for losses as some will vaporize into the plume as metal vapours during welding.

Along with that there are arc stabilizers and deoxidizing elements added to filler rods that you don’t get with autogenous welds.

Bottom line, an autogenous weld can be lesser in physical and mechanical properties than a weld on the same material using a proper filler rod.

4. Korean?

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I did something similar about 30 years ago on a Model A sedan rear fender. The fender was stored outdoors, upside down and it became a trap for water. Because it filled with rainwater and snow there were about two dozen pinholes in it when I rescued the fender. It was a beautiful fender except for the holes. I media blasted it and used silicon bronze TIG wire for the repair. I held the TIG torch and the filler wire next to a hole and stepped on the foot pedal for a second. After the first hole I couldn't believe how nice it worked and flowed into the holes and filled them. It came out great and is still on the car today. I certainly wouldn't use a so called, "cold weld" for anything structurally though.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

As Ray mentioned, and my (at the time FIL) told me when I put the boxing plates up front on a 35-40 Ford chassis, I didn't use filler at all.,. He told me I didn't weld it, but fused it together. He did underwater welding and stuff for the Navy, so I kinda think he knew what he was saying.

loudbang likes this.
  7. There is a process known as cold welding.
    No heat , zero. The atoms of one piece grab onto atoms of another and that’s not that video. No liquified metal or puddles. It’s non ferrous stuff, very clean and in a vacuum. Then there’s the pressure welders that don’t use heat but Intense pressure and again non ferrous stuff.

Then there’s marketing strategists who call shit ice cream so you’ll be intrigued and like it.
    Google “cold welding” and you’ll find Chinese inverter tig machines named “laser cold welding machines”. I guess if you named your kid Harley Davidson he would be a motorcycle? No but those machines are not laser welders nor cold welding. They may have the latest wiz bang button and current manipulation mother boards but still not laser or “cold welding”

loudbang, Desoto291Hemi and Blue One like this.
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And you can bet your ass that if the Chinese made them they’re most likely using stolen technology.

9. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

I said, pardon?

Flathead Dave, loudbang and Blue One like this.
  10. I’ll put your retired ass on the line. im keeping mine for now
    That technology was handed to them, here make this for me please.
    And them make one for themselves.

jiminey Christmas cruise around on Alibaba and look at the stuff.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes make this for me on the day shift and then run a night shift making a bunch more in a different color with a different name for them.
    Just stealing in a different form.

I’m fond of my retired ass thank you :D:D

12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Cold Welding , where I’m from is the drilling a series of holes and threading pins overlapping each other and cutting or grinding the pins off until there is no more crack . Believe me a cold weld in my business spelled disaster , it really defines the meaning of total force applied to an object .,

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes. It works just fine for non-structural pieces, but they must have no gaps.

loudbang likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's not TIG welding. If silicon bronze was used, that is TIG brazing.

That is its own thing, but it ain't welding, because it does not melt the base material.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I worked in a torque convertor shop for a while and TIG brazed fins in convertors, and that's what we called it. Yes, it's a very nice process, but after brazing up the fins, those things were hot.

Desoto291Hemi and loudbang like this.
  16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thank you.

loudbang likes this.
  17. NoelC

NoelC

Taiwanese...you speak that you might understand what's being said.
    I don't but...I also think you fella's are muddying the water in tig talk and missing the key ingredients. How's it being accomplished. Heat, pressure and time.

https://coldpressurewelding.com/home/what-is-cold-pressure-welding

Throwing things and hoping they stick is not much different then pushing them together and getting them to stick.

Something was melted in the video by an arc created in an electrical circuit by what appears to be contact between a non consumable tungsten electrode and the work piece. The coincidence of it being in a hand held GTAW torch...could have been simply one of convenience IMHO.

As for the heat being generated, fluorescent lights are a charge across a cap. How hot do they get? Just saying, the duration of time is a factor and judging by the video, response while intense was quick. Something was discharging. Electronic control with invertor technology allows for such responsive arcing to occur.

At some point when you ask how...did you wonder if he was he using a shielding gas? What type? Polarity? Frequency? How much of a sec was the arc on? I don't think one should be quick to discount what they don't understand.

I have no doubts it, a weld, done by suitable equipment would be strong, strong enough and as with any welding process, out put equals capacity. Truth be told, most over heat, over weld and if the stuff wasn't so forgiving we'd all be in trouble.

Metallurgy... just the simple recombining and flow will typically make for a change in metallic structure, that redirection typically increases what was a laminar grain structure into a course irregular granular structure. Add in a degree of contractual stress and you have stiffness.
    Point I'm trying to offer is your joining two pieces together, don't over think it. If they got hot enough to flow together they have become one.

While there were a few things I'd find fault in that approach to welding body panels, I can also see where it would have major benefits in the right hands.

That's my two cents. But if I was going to add two cents more, the next time I buy a welding machine, if it can't do that, I'd have to think I bought the wrong machine.

Flathead Dave and lostone like this.
  18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Hey, thanks for the clarification.

19. I'm not a professional welder.
    In fact, I'm very new to TIG,
    but when I watched, I could easily understand that the word "cold" was referring to the fact that the metal-melting heat being poured in hot and fast was not allowed to spread far, and the hit-and-run approach was keeping the rest of the part safe from the usual heat damage and heat warping.
    Isn't this almost the same thing that everyone is telling the mig guys to do on body panel work while moving all around?
    If you've ever looked at someones arc weld, or mig weld, and thought they were running "cold", surely you can apply that language here also even tho you are aware that metal is being melted in all those cases.
    Cold is relative.
    And for welding, that hot burst and quick cooldown, hot burst, cool, hot burst, sure is on the cold side no doubt.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Flathead Dave and lostone like this.
  20. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Gimpy, you can call it what ever you want, but the company that I buy my supplies from, Harris, makes silicon bronze TIG wire and silicone bronze MIG wire and they call it Braze Welding.

21. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

I don't know jack about TIG welding but read about this fusion welding thing years ago as related to Ti bicycle frames.

22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.