Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What were you thinking?..you can't do that!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Apr 24, 2020.

1. jaracer

jaracer

I've also heard that many times, but my race car idled well and had fantastic response in all rpm ranges. I don't know why it wouldn't do the same on the street.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Probably not the first, but as a real young kid, helped my Dad in '71 put a LS5/TH 400 in his '57 Chevy PU.

My job was holding things in place as he welded them.

He took the Vette column, and started cutting it to shorten to line up with the streering box,,,cue Meat Loaf...I remember it was like yesterday...as he cut the shaft, it fell out. How we learned about collapsible columns;)

Still moved the steering box back about 4-5 inches, turns great to the right, little work turning to the left.

Love this truck.

alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Like Homer said to Bart, "Give up son, don't try"

alanp561 likes this.
  4. primed34

primed34

I think Ak Miller's '32 Ford roadster is about as traditional as you can get. Ugly as a mud fence but it does have IFS.

5. If you want people to tell you "it can't be done" after you have had "done" it successfully for many years, just put it up on Farcebook. All the experts on doing nothing are there.

Desoto291Hemi and partsdawg like this.
  6. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Hey, at least there weren't pictures.

7. Works great. Just not here. Thank you, goodbye.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

just to be clear

chryslerfan55 and cfmvw like this.
  9. LOL I shoved a small block in a mini truck and later found out by reading an acclaimed magazine that it was difficult and while it could be done it would not be legal. LOL

I was gonna bolt a 5 speed to a small block and was told that I could not do that because that transmission is "geared into that thang." That was by a guy who owned a shop. LOL

OK onto more HAMB friendly when I was 19 I was told that you could not put a nailhead a 401 into a '57 Ford. Damn I wish that had been my car. :D

I was once told that a 394" Olds would not fit in a '49 F1. Fit like it was made for it.

10. atomickustom

atomickustom

When I dragged my '53 Chevy out of a field I called my car-guy dad excited, told him I was going to chop it and build a kustom. His response was "What makes you think you are capable of that?"
    I don't remember the details 20 years later, but i know a couple times there were very specific things I did that he told me could not work. I think one was "You can't chop the top, it has a curved windshield." (I guess that explains why his cars always had stock bodies.)
    My response was always "Why not?"
    Ironically, he was quite proud when I got it on the road. 20190504_093800.jpeg

11. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

There is a Micro as well

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

just because someone did something once does not a tradition make....

13. @Moriarity ?

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

good question... again though if one or 2 guys did something back then does that make it traditional? think about the definition of the word tradition.....

15. 7B9010E6-E05B-4DAE-9FBC-3839ADCFC8F4.jpeg Lol,,,,I always think about Tevye in Fiddler on the roof.

TRADITION !

Tommy

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Just Gary and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. primed34

primed34

He wasn't the only one. There is enough photographic history of our hobby or sport that makes it hard sometimes to put what's traditional in a nice tidy little box. Four bar front suspensions comes to mind.

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

nothing wrong with 4 bars here... Roth used em on the outlaw in 59 and there were a bunch of others

Desoto291Hemi and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. olds vroom

olds vroom

[​IMG][​IMG]back when I was building my roadster for the backyard build off ( a $5000 limit build off) I made my own body from the cowl back . I used a 4” electrical conduit 90 that I quartered lengthwise and 1/2 pipe I bent and then split to recreate the belt line for the doors and rear quarters . I think it came out alright [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. gene-koning

gene-koning

I put a modern (late 60s, early 70s) Dodge drive train into a 35 Dodge sedan once. Many told me that couldn't be done.

Its probably not traditional by the HAMB standards either, but putting modern stuff into old cars is what started the hot rod thing in the 1st place. Gene

alanp561, grumpy65 and BamaMav like this.
  20. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

You know? That's what I thought when I started my car's makeover. That was before I found this place. I understand the "exclusivity", and I don't have a problem with it. I've read the things like "... the way a guy would build a car in 19 whatever." I just did mine like the way it should be in 2020.
    Also, I used to think that only DIY stuff was real hot rodding. I would see cars in magazines where they went from shop to shop. I thought they were just "richrods".
    But having barely room to squeeze around my car in the garage, and wanting to get it on the road changed my perspective about letting someone else do the heavy lifting.
    Anyway, that's what I was thinking.

alanp561 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  21. clem

clem

With Parents, sometimes I wonder if this is their way of encouraging you, - makes you more determined to prove them wrong.....

juan motime likes this.
  22. 6sally6

6sally6

Not sure if this counts but I remember (I think) early to mid 60's Hot Rod magazine published an article by some math wiz.
    He said it was mathamatically impossible to exceed 170 MPH in a 1/4 mile.
    Certainly a engine making over 1000HP could not be streetable. (another "experts" statement)
    Ha!!!
    6sally6

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep... and the guy was right.:rolleyes:

24. Back in our focus time period,,, 1000 hp on the street was impossible. Today it’s pretty damn easy

clem and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  25. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

26. atomickustom

atomickustom

Dad wasn't that clever. He was stubborn and argumentative and aggravating. To everyone, not just me. And I miss him terribly...

27. fordor41

fordor41

We went to a car show in southern Ohio and a couple older gents were looking at our car ('41 Ford Fordor) and one says"you have a SBF engine, I was told they don't fit".
    It fit like ole Henry wanted it to !

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  28. saltracer219

saltracer219

Yup, Ivo's T had a 4 bar set up

Moriarity likes this.
  29. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Great topic.
    Mated an 8ba to a stock '36 trans after about 24 people told me it wouldn't work.
    Jetted my own carbs using lead solder and tiny drillbits.
    Juice brakes on '32 spindles.
    Scratch built a V8 K member out of the rear crossmember from a model a chassis.
    Put a 302 in a Rambler.

But now that I have to think about it I realize all of that stuff was born out of necessity and a lack of resources. But lots of time. Now with Kids and two jobs sometimes buying the parts to expedite the end product is the way to go...I think I understand some of street rodders now...better go get some Tommy Bahama shirts.

42merc likes this.
  30. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

TIG welding was invented during World War 2, it seems that it falls into the traditional era.