Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Front suspension - '28 Dodge Brothers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by danritz, Dec 18, 2019.

1. danritz

danritz
    from Wisconsin

I'm 70 years old, retired, and ready to start on my latest project: '28 Dodge Brothers / '53 Chrysler hemi full-fendered hot rod. I've "restored" a number of cars over the years, but they've all been 60's vintage; I've never tackled anything like this. Particularly new and challenging to me is the issue of front suspension. Based on my limited knowledge, I had been leaning toward Mustang II, as I felt that I'd need power steering with the 700+ pound hemi up front. A lot of folks have recently recommended a straight axle setup. As I researched over the last few weeks, I came to like the straight axle option. At the top of my list right now are the pictured pieces - The first 3 pics from Speedway, the last from Pete & Jakes. My concerns:
    1. Steering - Will the steering at low speeds (parking and the like) be extremely difficult?
    2. Handling - Driving down the highway, will the car tend to "wander"?
    3. What about bump steer? I've read a bit about cross steering setups, but can find little info on them.
    Other options?

I plan on racking up serious road miles on this car (no racing), and decent braking and handling are extremely important to me. Your thoughts, please... Thanks!

_coupe-hemi.jpg
    20191130_03.JPG

Speedway straight axle kit.jpg

Speedway steering-brake kit for straight axle.jpg

Speedway Vega power steering box.jpg

Pete and Jakes Front Suspension #5049 HOT.jpg

Nailhead A-V8 and Okie Pete like this.
  2. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Very cool little coupe!
    www.Rustyhope.com is another option if you wanted to keep some of the stock front suspension. He offers disc brake conversions for early Mopars.

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I had a pinto / bobcat front suspension on a homemade frame in the '33 fiver... was fine... but, bad back/neck, I swapped bodies, '30 coupe, the rack and pinion bolts didn't matter with a tilted grill... but the flat '31 shell can only slide back till its lower pan hits the r+p bolts... pushes the grill about 3.5" too far forward...
    my new project will run a stock A axle...
    your mopar has the grill in a similar spot... get your tape measure and notepad out.... mustang II, pinto and bobcat may force your grill too far forward... my $0.02.

4. BJR

BJR

Use the stock front axle and add disc brakes. Also loose the wood wheels, they will not be safe at freeway speeds and will not take the torque of the hemi.

5. Budget36

Budget36

Narrow tire up front will help. I wonder if the Vega box is good for the weight of the Hemi?

Edit:

I think the "gasser" setup you have listed above may put you too high in the front, are you planning on fenders, or not?

I've a similar vintage Dodge PU, notice how's there;s not a lot of room above your axle to the frame. But can give you an idea on where to start, maybe think about Mopars with steel wheels (mine had wood originally too). I picked up a '32 Chrysler or Plymouth front axle with 5x 5.5 BP on it, fit just right for mine. If needed I can get measurements for you.

I'm thinking aftermarket might put you "nose up", so might want to think about dropping your axle, I'm pretty sure the hubs off wooden spoked wheels and steel wheels will interchange-but never tried it. Would just seem odd they'd make two different setups.

As far as how it'll drive, heck, I'm sure you've driven a straight axle set up before. If everything is tight and right she'll run down the road just fine. That said, as we get on in years, it might be best to think about a power steering set up, and dare I say a different front end as you mentioned before.

These old things aren't fun if you can't drive and enjoy them.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  6. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

IMG_2752.JPG IMG_2804.jpg I did not like the look of the parallel leaf suspension.I used a dropped 36 ford straight axle with split wishbones on my 28 DB.I had to build a custom crossmember to make it work with the stock radiator shell.Car handles like a slot car.Really fun to drive.Bias ply firestones and drum brakes all around.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  7. x2 on using the axle/ springs you already have. Way better than that aftermarket stuff. I think Borgeson(sp?) makes a power side steer box that would work with your axle.

8. What kinda shape is the front suspension in. If the shackles and spring hangers are good, maybe consider keeping it and having the spring "tuned" up to carry the added weight. Check the disc brake kits to see where the tread width will end up and how that will work with the your wheel choice. If that ends up wide you could have a custom width (and drop) tube axle made. If a new axle is needed, probably a good time to convert to Ford spindles and easier found brake kits along with better priced kingpin sets. If you think a Vega box light, a 525 works good and you could always get the power version if you are concerned with slow speed turning.

9. 6inarow

6inarow

The nice thing about Pete and Jakes and places like that is you can talk to real people who will help you sort that stuff out. Same thing with a local rod shop who is a dealer for said parts.

RICH B likes this.
  10. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I had a reversed Corvair manual box on my A and steering wasn't a problem. Only time it was a little rough parking but I only had a 14 in steering wheel.

11. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Forgot to mention that I had a 427 BBC with steel heads.

12. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I would keep the original straight axle and parallel leaf suspension. Beef up the springs and upgrade the brakes if you are keeping it full fendered. 525 steering box or power equivalent.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  13. 53 hemi

53 hemi

Cool car!

Ok, I've got a '33 Plymouth with a 354 Hemi - this is my setup:

Original front axle, but flipped on top of the spring packs to lower the front end.

Original style springs.

The axle has been fitted with Ford spindles (mine are '37 style) so I could use the Speedway disc brake setup.

I have a Vega steering box.

The car rides and drives fantastic; zero problems. 20191002_173918.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since your ride is for long distance trips, make it comfortable for you and the Mrs. I would use the next size up for the Vega steering, a 525 I believe with power. The traditional builds are just not as friendly on long jaunts as rides with some comfort engineered into them. The old body shouldn't necessarily reflect how the car rode in '28. For an example, my wife and I cruise to El Mirage from San Antonio in our '32 highboy roadster in relative comfort with Vintage Air ac/heat, Sirius XM, and a top with side curtains, getting 22 mpg with overdirive backing a 350. This setup isn't exactly a shoe-in for HAMB, but I think Ryan, our Leader, humors me a bit. We have put over 30,000 miles on our roadster only because it is as dependable as our Chrysler. Build that neat little coupe for the purpose intended. It will make a super fine rod, ride, and highway car.

15. jimvette59

jimvette59

Wow is that pitman arm that low to the ground or is that the angle of the camera ?

16. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great looking design. That's what a Model A 3 window would have looked like if Edsel could have talked old Henry into it.

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'd look more at a model A transverse spring style than those gasser setups. All depends on the stance you want.
    Well done straight axle wont be hard to drive or wander at all. Steering from a slow/non moving position will be harder, because its a non power steering car. But not bad.

18. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Its the angle of the camera its a stock arm on the stock box fall.jpg

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Another vote for solid axle and non power steering with skinny front tires.

set up properly it will do everything you want it to do and look good doing it

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Dodge Brothers ran the chrome vanadium forging operation for Henry Ford's axles, spindles, and various other 'hard parts' since the 'teens...
    When they commenced with 'Dodge Bros' (their own auto company) they forged their axles and hard parts from the same material. Only Ford and Dodge Bros. had this hard steel, nobody else. (Henry Ford shared the formula with Dr. Ferdinand Porsche in the late '30s, when they contrived design ideas.)
    The original Dodge axle (and spindles) are superior to any aftermarket welded tube, and the original springs can be 'tuned' by disassembly, tapering, and addition of leaves, (say 2 per side) The Borgeson 525 steering box is a great suggestion.

dwollam and mad mikey like this.
  21. danritz

danritz
    from Wisconsin

Well, here's where I ended up...

Per a number of recommendations, I contacted Pete & Jakes and talked with their tech (Jason). I sent them many photos and diagrams/specs. This was Jason's recommendation:

# 3095 The complete front end with disc brakes, I-beam axle (undrilled), 4-BAR all plain
    # 2024 Front crossmember
    # 8000 Vega box
    # 1019 Vega steering mount
    #1020 Vega pitman arm
    P&J 3095 Front End Kit.jpg

I can't say enough good things about the support Jason has provided. No question is too large or too small, he's very responsive, and he told me outright that he's with me all the way to project completion. I can sure use the help... :)

22. danritz

danritz
    from Wisconsin

A sincere THANK YOU to all who posted here; I really appreciate the input. I'll post updates here as the project progresses.

23. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I wish you were closer, I would like to have the axle and springs. Nice looking project.

RMR&C likes this.
  24. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

The early Ford setup works quite well. I would opt for power steering tho. Its sooooo nice,especially if you have arthritis like me. Just sayin.

25. I use Speedway parts, however I'm careful which ones I use. I have not had good luck with metric calipers. Spend the extra money and buy Wilwood disc setup. Also you can't go wrong with
    Pete & Jakes. Your asking the right questions just make a plan.
    Good luck with your project.

26. The half rack is what I used on my 30 pickup, It's like having power steering. That's with stock steering wheel.

27. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

My avatar is exactly the same as what you have. If I had to do it over again I would do a Mustang 2. I adapted a dropped tube axle, special built, adapted Ford spindles, GM brakes etc etc etc. For the time and $$$ I would rather have an independent set up. I would question if the cross member you are planning to use is wide enough. Th DB is much larger than a Ford I believe.

28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

What the hell is with all the street rod crap in this thread!
    Mustang II really? Power rack?

That dodge suspension is super easy to deal with. The frame is heavier than a ford and none of it needs to be replaced with Chinese crap!

Some of you need to go back and reread the focus of this forum.

29. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I've had a 34 coupe with a Vega steering box and another 34 coupe with Unisteer.
    Both worked well and have a similar feel, but I like the look of the Vega box better. On the OP's car, I like the suggestion of using the original axle with a brake upgrade. The parallel spring suspension will work well once refurbished.

30. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yeah I would have used the oem axle, springs. Used aftermarket oem disc brakes and been way ahead of the game.

Your adding a bunch of weight with the hemi, you would have 2 springs to handle that weight. It would handle better because spring load was the same side to side.

You would be money waayyy ahead do to no need of buying most of the front suspension. No money or time spent making all of the aftermarket crap fit, no altering the frame and altering suspension mounts.

You lost the ability to build the front springs to make the car handle and hold the weight as you want it. I rebuild springs for a living so I know how springs can be used.

Of course using mostly stock stuff you can't sit at the car show or local drive in and brag about all the cool Pete and Jake's crap under the car....

Nailhead A-V8, RMR&C and 53 hemi like this.