Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs finishing off my 38 chevee project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

well they cost more than an old penny anyway

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

got a nice surprise today.my auto electrician dropped in.we discussed what was left to do.1 bad connection easy fix and the horn,can u test the horn.we had discussed having the horn working on the button in the wheel and on the dimmer switch.told him the horn button was AWOL.i pushed the lever on the switch the horn worked real loud nice surprise it was .twin horns from a VW golf 03 ish.used pair for e5.ok not traditional looking but mounted high in front of the rad you would never know they are there mounted 1 either side with the mounting bracket drilled so as not to impede airflow ,black of course.need a list for the man for next week.(short list )

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  3. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

etzer art 006.JPG for the doggy people .couple of months back we commissioned some artwork for 2 dogs we had to put to sleep left a big space behind.yesterday we got the pastels framed.had to break curfew to get them done everywhere is closed here.SETZER the man

echo ed, Nicholas Coe, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

and GENIE an old dote was safe with anyones kids you could put her in a playpen.just one unplanned pregnancy they outlived their pups cause they had the good life.

Attached Files:

echo ed, Nicholas Coe, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

rooted this out today a helper spring to keep the door handle from drooping. all the 37-38 truck handles I see are hanging down.got them at JIM CARTER TRUCKS no instructions.anyone know anything about how to fit them.bought 3 years ago still have the one etzer art 003.JPG etzer art 005.JPG

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Leakie

Leakie

7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

it sure does that picture is up on jim carter trucks site now.39-46 door handle anti droop spring left and right
    #DP 146L and #DP146R $4.95 gotta get 2 .hope I have a drivers side 1

8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

current petrol gauge/dipstick petrol gauge stick 002.JPG badly need to connect up the fuel gauge,anyone familiar with the gauge wiring

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    chryslerfan55, Leakie and j hansen like this.
  9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

looking for some help to wire the fuel gauge.there are 2 terminals at the back of the gauge one bigger than the other.one 4.2 mm #6 ?and the larger one 4.8mm #8?.question is which way to wire it fuel gauge rear view 001.JPG

chryslerfan55 and TFoch like this.
  10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

small update .pictured is a 6v gauge.removed the nuts and inspected the insulating leather. the left terminal has TANK stamped into it on top and ac below .very hard to make out but shining a torch across it revealed this..right hand smaller terminal is just marked made in the usa.so I guess sender wire connects to the TANK terminal and power in goes on the smaller terminal.gauge recon was purchased from jim carter trucks.just sent another e mail (3rd) for instructions on wiring the gauge no reply yet.phoned today but I was caller no2 for ages at international rates.

chryslerfan55 and TFoch like this.
  11. So sweet. Dogs truly are man's best friend.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and nunattax like this.
  12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

small progress on the wiring,gauge wiring circuit connected,working well , not too bright.bit of a novelty to me.thanks BUBBA 55 for help with the gauges.the missing bulb fittings worked out perfect rewired of course.dim drivers side light diagnoised as poor earth.job to do tomorrow gauge lighting working at last 002.JPG

13. j hansen

j hansen

Looks good,love the design on the gauges(if that`s how you spell it?):D

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Jan me too,it was a pain in the butt shipping them to the states where they were misplaced ,then rebuilt the day they were found and shipped overnight to be collected and brought home by a neighbour..checked the spelling in the Collins dictionary looks like gauge is the way its spelt here.worth the effort now that they are back home looking lovely.because they are an unusual size nothing else would have looked right there imho.

15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

headlight issue fixed change the earth bolt in the headlight cleaned everything again and smeared dialectric grease .there was a poor earth between the headlight shell and the headlight stand and a bad connection.replaced the connection removed more paint from the mounting points on the shell and the stand dialectric grease on everything great lights well bright lights .lens are CIBIE so im expecting them to be good.

TFoch and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  16. if possible I run a separate dedicated ground wire to all lights so paint doesn't have to get scraped off of mounting areas to rely on a proper ground [earth]

nunattax, Bowtie Coupe and TFoch like this.
  17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

you are correct of course ,but the connection between the headlight and stand is a ball and socket affair.i didn't mind scraping a little off there and coating it with dialectric grease it allows smooth movement there to focus the lights.i connected plenty good quality earths from engine to chassis and battery to chassis.even though I put a rubber strip under rad frame I earthed the rad frame to the chassis as well.so I let the earths do their job just wasn't as thorough as I thought.still snagging ! . should do the other headlight tomorrow to be sure to be sure.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I was looking on the jim carter trucks site tonight this months truck of the month is a very nice 38 chevy 3/4 ton (may) and (jan ) truck of the month is a super stock 38 chevy 1/2 ton.both as nice as you will see.

chryslerfan55 and Leakie like this.
  19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

received the info I needed to wire the 12v fuel gauge I purchased from jim carter..received an email from jim carter .with a little help from another 38 chevy guy.thanks Mike O.there are 2 terminals on the back of the gauge one on the empty E side and one on the full F side.hot wire connects to the E side.ground (sender ) connects to the F side.thats the info I was looking for I don't have to remove the gauge to make the correct connections.great stuff

20. bubba55

bubba55

Cwiss ye ol Irish nut
    Yer welcome - good to see ya chippin away on the twuck - looking so good !

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

just had the fuel gauge wired as per instructions its working the finest,another novelty for me headlight flasher next on the list.

22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

not working the finest.reading reading full all the time with a half tank innit .will have to trouble shoot.

23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

went for my first spin in it on a main road since covid trying to evaluate how its shifting.1-2 fine 2-3shifting but youd hardly notice and 3-4 was surging in and out of lockup adjusted the vacuum switch as per instructions and changing into 4 and locking up fine.im probably driving too easy if anything.long time coming looking forward to much improved fuel economy now.

24. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

in most local driving the trans wasn't getting into top but I felt it was just about to change.so today I substuted the rear ttyres for a set of 235/60x15 I had lying around and went for the test drive the 235 s are 2inchs shorter around the circumference than the 255/60 s effectively gearing it down a little it changed into 4th a few times so its a gearing issue im happy with that so ill change back to the 255/60 s again soon offering longer legs on a long run. and improved economy.just need to press the pedal abit farther down.

25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

basil arrived to check on the fuel gauge the gauge is wired correct.the sender was earthing I had the tank earthed.i need another earth on the sender to the chassis..the sender needs to be adjusted to read accurately.for another day.happier now I know its just an adjustment issue.the man had to go, barbecue time .now we have broken the back in it an hour some other evening will sort it.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  26. Wow you got an email back from Jim Carter! I have emailed him twice about a shipping quote on some parts I want to order and have heard nothing back. :mad:

Nice work on the truck!

27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx man try them on the phone ,iva secret agent helping me out

28. If they can't be bothered to get back to me I don't need to do business with them. I despise companies that provide an email address and then never respond when you email them.

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  29. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

it probably depends on the age of the people running the show.if they were all computer whizz kids they probably would have interests other than old pick ups.i remember all those years back a teacher told me some day we would all have our own personal computer.i remember thinking what a dick.here we are 40 yrs later chatting on my own personal computers. I believe they are very busy at the moment.way back when I was starting on my 38 I got in touch by phone and explained it was not possible for me to order over the phone all the time it was too expensive and we had to allow for different accents and terms we called parts.i got this persons e mail address and dealt with that person only they kept my address and credit card details on file and everything went very well for years.a little give and take on both side works wonders.9 years later im still ordering from them.overall good people to deal with. nearly finished the project but are they ever done?chris

30. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

some bits arrived yesterday from summit.bosch retro tach new aluminum black adjustable timing pointer,and a tdc piston stop.i thought the tach would be a straight forward bolt on i should be so lucky.im using the stock small diameter column.the clamp wont tighten down that small.and t the gauge is too deep to mount on top of the column.so ill mount it on the side of the column flush with the dash.that will need a custom mounting bracket and two new clamps.some things never change.i have a plan

Last edited: May 23, 2020