Register now to get rid of these ads!

Golden Sands Salvage in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31aBoy, Jan 1, 2009.

1. 31aBoy

31aBoy

Pretty sure its a 58 Dodge, but not 100%

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

55 or 56 Dodge - definitely not newer or older

With all the nuts in my family, how come I aint' got some wacked-out uncle sitting on the porch whittlin' hisself some new teeth with these kind of cars in the 'south 40' ?????

I'd be his new best friend.

dj

3. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

Again, Keith is a true car guy. He sells scrap every couple of years but hasn't scapped any old cars even when steel was so high last year. I'm gonna try to remember some of the better vehicles at the yard and at his house. Early Corvair with factory AC, several shoebox Fords, split window VW, 60 Pontiac bubbletop, 63 Galaxie conv, 54 Merc wagon, Model A 2dr with top cut off on a 59 chev chassis, stock Model A 2dr, 64 T-bird, severel Opel GT's, 30's Plymouth pickup, Renault Dolphine, 63 or 64 Grand Prix, 62 Corvair coupe, 66 Impala 4dr and many more that escape me right now. He also has the entire left side ( 12 inches or so)of a 49 Ford coupe that was used as a theater prop that I've been trying to buy.

blackandgold likes this.
  4. 31aBoy

31aBoy

Just want to make sure all the tri-state guys get a chance to see this..

5. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Pretty old photos but has anyone been there recently? A friend called the owner today but he has health trouble and is hard to communicate with. :(

6. 5window

5window

It sounds like he was a lot to deal with way back when. Ten year old thread=it must be wild goose season in Wisconsin. Never hurts to ask, I expect. Drink a couple of Spotted Cows first

7. 78 Grand Lemans

78 Grand Lemans

Golden sands is up for sale, and the owners family is trying to liquidate what is in there. They are only open from 9-5 on fridays and 9-noon Saturday. I've been told there's still a good amount of vehicles in there, and they've taken bids from scrap companies recently. I'm taking the 2 hour trip there tomorrow morning, if I get a contact number I'll post it.

8. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Please post your findings. I would be interested in visiting the yard if they allow a potential customer to wander the yard to see what they have. Hopefully there are some save able vehicles and parts.

9. 5window

5window

It will be interesting to see what you can find, or can get, Found this over on F***book, interesting story:

Anne Borchardt Boron reviewed Golden Sands Salvage1 star
    November 8, 2014 ·
    s, and not only did the owner not honor us the prices he quoted us AS WE PICKED PARTS, he also didn't honor the prices we discussed beforehand. When we were done, he nearly tripled his prices! He even threatened to call the police if we didn't give us what he demanded. He then told us to go back into the yard and re-install the parts we removed. I was ready to drive the four hours to our home empty handed, but In the end we agreed upon a price FAR higher than we normally pay. This visit was definitely two visits for me - the first and the last. If you need parts for old cars, check out Elmer's in Fountain City. They don't play games and their yard is far nicer.

Haven't been there, but the stories are weird. Junkyard folk are often kinda strange IMHO

Max Gearhead likes this.
  10. blackandgold

blackandgold
    from Wisconsin

I used to go out there in high school at least twice a week with a buddy and talk hot rods with Keith. From what I’ve realized, he didn’t deal unless he knew you. We would get free parts on occasion. He has Parkinson’s and sold the place last year along with an auction of his personal collection. I’m not sure if they are still selling parts this time of year, but they were earlier this summer.

ras likes this.
  11. 78 Grand Lemans

78 Grand Lemans

Golden sands was sold and is now reopened as J&J salvage and recycling.
    The new owners are cleaning up the yard, but from what I've been told not crushing out.

Chucky likes this.
  12. Slopok

Slopok

Even if you walked it shouldn't take you 9 months for a 2 hour trip, what happened???:eek:

13. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The Dodge is a 56

14. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Did you notice the Model A coupe had a 10 bolt Chevy, or GM rear end with stock four link and coil springs and wide tires.. an old hot rod.

Thor1 likes this.

15. anyone got a phone number?

16. 5window

5window

Very old thread, no listing for J&J in Boscobel. In fact, no junkyards listed at all there. I'm thinking it's done.

17. Guess no one does road trips on the east coast.

18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Wi. is quite a way from the east coast for a road trip !

Thor1 likes this.
  19. 5window

5window

I'd want some assurance the place is still there although Wisconsin is a nice road trip-except for driving through Chicago to turn northwest.

Thor1 likes this.
  20. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Spent a full day there yesterday. Spent a ton on money too.
    2 brothers bought the place & their moto is "If it's here, it's for sale"
    It was a little hard to pin them down on prices but they are open to negotiating, fortunately.
    They are cleaning up all the crap like lawn mowers & swing sets & the old stuff seems mostly like '59-
    '65 ish but there is good pickings. Leans towards GM.
    608-375- 5353
    Don't visit or call on a Sat, this is amateur hour and they are only open 'till Noon!

21. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

I pod photos 304.JPG Pulled the 9.3 from this bad boy.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Google maps show a lot of old cars still at the Golden Sands location on Airport Road.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Do you have an address for the yard? Did you happen to notice if there were any 60’s Fords or better yet Mercury’s?
    Thanks!

24. 501

Hard to tell car details in Google aerial.

25. Thanks for the up date !

26. Photobucket sucks

27. 5window

5window

?

28. BJR

BJR

29. uncle buck

uncle buck

Photo bucket use to be a free picture host site and and then started charging . My understanding is later the changed and you had to start paying them if you wanted to continue to see your pictures

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. Olds/Pont rear end 9.3 dia ring gear.

BJR likes this.