Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Catalysed Primer Pot Life

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Apr 24, 2020.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

When it comes to paint, there are no dumb questions...I hope.

I have been priming till the cup runneth out. Waiting a day before sanding. Now I'm doing a few small areas and wondering if any remaining catalysed primer will last until I can sand and then reprime? If so, take it out of the gun and clean while waiting? I would read the can if there wasn't paint all over the directions..

2. Pretty much every product will have a TDS online somewhere that will give you the pot life. It won't be long enough to paint, let it dry, sand and repaint.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

john worden likes this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably less than an hour.

4. Guessing every catalyzed primer has a little different dry time, but none of them will get you the kind of time you are asking about or you likely wouldn't be able to do the sanding you mention.

5. i usually mix half of what I think I’m gonna need. After I shoot that I kind of see if I was close on my guess and then readjust the second half up or down to finish.
    With the Catalyzed stuff once you mix it you got to shoot it or throw it out

pitman and squirrel like this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

OK thanks guys. Guess I better go shoot the rest..

Lacquer sure was easy...

warhorseracing and guthriesmith like this.
  7. Slopok

Slopok

Whatever you do, Don't let set up in your gun!:eek:

loudbang likes this.
  8. Yea...I only did that once... Paint remover became my friend, but that was a major mistake.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ha, yeah I went back out to spray the rest, already getting thick in the gun. Was a small load, maybe 1/4 cup to start with.

10. oldolds

oldolds

You can slow it down by putting it in the fridge. It might give you an hour or two. A paint rep taught me that trick.

loudbang, belair and s55mercury66 like this.
  11. And I'm told that $9.95 Harbor Freight guns are no good. Clean the gun first, mix paint, squirt it and through it away. Experts will argue that the finish won't be good, but you sand all the primer anyway. So I have 4 in the cabinet and nothing to paint yet.
    RB

49ratfink, seb fontana and 40FORDPU like this.
  12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

A "bachelor" paint rep? My wife would have my ass if I had 2k primer next to her lasagna...

13. redo32

redo32

You don't have a fridge in your shop?

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

" I would read the can if there wasn't paint all over the directions""

I can relate to that! I'd bet that I pour from the directions side of the can at least 90% of the time. Got no clue what makes me do that. I read the directions before I open the can but don't remember for vary long.:(

loudbang likes this.
  15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I prepared myself to have issues, used gun three times over 6 month period and never had issue, two part primer or finish Acrylic Enamel. Never had to throw away, so I got 5 or 6. IMG_0511.JPG

loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well I finally, finally after 40 years of doing this off and on, got a couple of those rubbery bibs that hook on the lip of the can. Unfortunately I didn't get them until I bought the gallon of color, long after the primer. They work great.

Nice little loader btw.

If my wife ever baked a lasagna I'd paint the whole friggin' kitchen.

Algoma56, loudbang, wraymen and 3 others like this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take a picture of the can label, before you open it.

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

It wouldn't probably work at the paint is going through a chemical reaction but I wonder if you shot some mig gas into the pot if it would slow down the processs...

19. Put some parts in the dishwasher to distract her.

alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  20. Plus if you do that,,,, usually you can zoom in so you can actually read it.

21. rusty valley

rusty valley

epoxy does not cure when less than 50 degrees. i never throw away that last little bit in the gun, it goes in the fridge for little touch up stuff. and, even a 1/2 a gun's worth will last in the fridge for two weeks, maybe longer, i havnt tried it. it looks normal after stirring, never know it was 2 weeks old. i like to add some new mix to it if i have enough parts to spray, but not necessary.

loudbang likes this.
  22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

In four languages, spaced two paragraphs apart, in six columns, with italics and bold intermixed.

Finding one bit of forgotten info can be a daunting task through a magnifying glass.

loudbang likes this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

I always cut the label off the can before I open it and put it away. Then mark the can so I know which label goes with which paint. I mark it on the side and on the bottom.

john worden likes this.
  24. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i just shot some SPI 2 part primer today . tech sheet says have all of it done in 30 minutes. it does set up pretty quick , i've never tried the fridge method.

25. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I dont think drinking that much beer to make room before painting would result in a good paint job.
    Good thing you sand most of it off.

alanp561 likes this.