Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP ... Dick Smith

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Apr 23, 2020.

1. richard-smith-phoenix-az-obituary.jpg
    Richard "Dick" Lee Smith
    October 3, 1929 – March 14, 2020

2. Richard Lee “Dick” Smith at 90 years young went to the great Machine Shop in the Sky on Saturday, March 14, 2020. Dick was born in Kinsley, Kansas on October 3, 1929 to proud parents Leoma May Trotter Smith and Clayborne Thomas Smith. In 1939, at the age of ten, Dick’s wheat farming father drove the family to Phoenix, Arizona to better the health of his younger brother, 7 year old Wendell who struggled with Asthma.

Dick’s hobbies as a kid were model airplanes and kites. His FIRST friend here in Phoenix, at the age of ten was Raymond Kingston, now 90. Dick attended Balsz Elementary School & Graduated Phoenix Union High School. He went on to attend Phoenix Technical School from 1946 through 1947, and in 1948 received his Aircraft Engine Mechanic Diploma.

Dick’s first job was in 1946 as an usher at the first Phoenix Drive-In Movie Theatre, right down the street from his home. It was a family affair as his Mother helped the owner, Mr. Anderson, run the ticket office and his Dad handled property repairs to keep the theatre running like a well oiled machine. Dick also worked as a painter & later did construction work on earliest Sky Harbor runway, before joining the Army in 1951. He was a Pfc in the Infantry, Company “D”, stationed in Germany and served until 1953. Dick took full advantage of the GI Bill when he got back home! He attended ASC , AZ State College (NOW ASU) in 1954 and graduated in 1958. He completed his Masters of Art in Education in 1961 after logging 260 credit hours. He was an assistant teacher of Aeronautics & Ceramics at ASU. But Dick’s true calling was as an Industrial Arts instructor at Sunnyslope and Central High Schools. His fun personality, interesting teaching skills and everyday hands-on instructional Metal Shop classes attracted students from all over the Valley. He was well respected & adored by his many students over the years, like a father to some. Many have said that a library of knowledge burned down upon his death.

Dick met his future wife, Judith Ann Fernyhough in a ceramics class at ASU. They married in 1965. Together they rescued and loved many doggies over the years and truly thought of them as their “kids”. Dick & Judy were true artists, who shared a common love for pottery and started their own business known as The Mud-Dauber. Dick’s large pottery pieces took many awards at the Arizona State Fair over the years.

But Dick’s true PASSION was fulfilled when he was building antique Ford cars on a shoe string budget, which made it even more satisfying. He was a Hot Rodder at heart! Dick made many cars throughout his lifetime. A 1927 Model T Ford Coupe for his wife, a 1932 Ford Tudor Sedan, along with his famous 1932 Highboy Roadster, which he built & drove for 38 years. The Henry Ford Museum was seeking a true period correct 32 and persuaded Dick to sell his Roadster in 1987. It’s a true example of a typical home built street rod. Dick’s 32 is displayed in the HF museum “Driving for Fun” section and enjoyed by all to this day.

Dick was a Jack-of-all-trades, a wealth of knowledge & creativity. He could make absolutely anything and he took great personal pride in making it without having to buy any materials or spend much money on his projects. Dick designed & meticulously made many antique ‘32 Ford dashboards along with many other custom car parts. He was always the first to offer help to anyone, he never had an enemy, and he never met a stranger. Dick will be remembered with a smile on his face and a funny story or joke to share with anyone that would listen.

At this time the family would like to request that everyone abide by recommendations from the government & health officials to stay safe. We look forward to a Celebration of Life Memorial in the very near future to celebrate Dick Smith’s amazing life and the impact he had on so many lives. In Lieu of flowers donations may be made in Dick’s honor to Canyon Animal Hospital 15411 N. 31st ST, Phoenix, AZ 85032 (canyonanimalhospitalphoenix.com).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  3. Dick's Deuce Roadster is still on display at the thfLogo.png :

The classic proportions of the 1932 Ford roadster make it a hot rod favorite. Rodders modified these inexpensive vehicles with more modern and powerful engines and parts. Dick Smith of Arizona purchased this hot rod in 1949. From 1954 to 1963, Smith dropped in a 1951 Chrysler 331ci V-8 engine, Packard transmission, and parts from Studebaker, Chevrolet, & Dodge automobiles making this home-built hot rod his own.
    Dick Smith Deuce Roadster @ The Henry Ford Museum (1).JPG
    Dick Smith Deuce Roadster @ The Henry Ford Museum (2).JPG
    Dick Smith Deuce Roadster @ The Henry Ford Museum (3).JPG
    Dick Smith Deuce Roadster @ The Henry Ford Museum (4).JPG
    Dick Smith Deuce Roadster @ The Henry Ford Museum (5).JPG
    Dick Smith Deuce Roadster @ The Henry Ford Museum (6).JPG
    Dick Smith Deuce Roadster @ The Henry Ford Museum (7).JPG
    Dick Smith Deuce Roadster @ The Henry Ford Museum (8).JPG
    Dick Smith Deuce Roadster @ The Henry Ford Museum (9).JPG
    all images from the Henry Ford museum website​

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Smith Family and Friends in the passing of this passionate Hotrodder, Dick...One look at that Hotrod showcases his passion for getting it right. Quality takes time...and yeah that's a Beauty...that Cutout in the Side Hood Panel is quite an interesting standout in amongst so much to admire...

He lived a huge life as evidenced by accomplishment...May he Rest in Peace...

Thanks @HEMI32 for sharing this loss to the Community.

HEMI32, pitman, HemiDeuce and 3 others like this.

5. Deuces

Deuces

6. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

That 'ol Hemi oozing out the sides. Nice touch. RIP old man.

7. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

8. Fordors

Fordors

What a timeless, beautifully built ‘32 Roadster, Mr. Smith had an eye for a clean hot rod. RIP Richard.

HEMI32 and Stogy like this.
  9. RIP...I’ve spent hours looking at that Roadster....

HEMI32 and Stogy like this.
  10. Dick Smith's Deuce Roadster was the inspiration for at least two HAMBers HEMI-powered Deuce Hiboy Roadsters:

Dick Smith with Andy's Deuce Hiboy.jpg
    Dick Smith with @Andy's HEMI-powered Deuce Hiboy

HemiDeuce's Deuce Hiboy.jpg
    HemiDeuce's Deuce Hiboy - hood.jpg
    @HemiDeuce's HEMI-powered Deuce Hiboy​

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  11. rust&patina

rust&patina

. . . R I P . . .

Stogy likes this.
  12. A circa 1950s photo of Dick Smith & friends with their motorcycles at the "Apache Junction Inn":

Bikers Dick Smith & Morris Richardson at Apache Junction Inn.jpg
    image from the Morris Richardson archives

13. In the '60s, Dick built this Flathead-powered '27 Model T Coupe for his wife Judy:

Central Phoenix Hot Rodders in the 1960s - Judy Smith's T Coupe.jpg
    Judy Smith's T Coupe in the '60s

Judy Smith's Model T Coupe - 2012 (by Chip Quinn).jpg
    circa 2012 image by Chip @need louvers ? Quinn

Judy Smith's Model T Coupe - 2015 (by landseaandair).jpg
    circa 2015 image by @landseaandair

Dick Smith with wife Judy's Model T Coupe.jpg
    image from the Smith family archives​

14. A vintage photo of Dick's Deuce Roadster (with the fiberglass top he fabricated):

Dick Smith Deuce Roadster (with wife Judy).jpg

15. Dick holding a photo of his Deuce Roadster in thfLogo.png :

Dick Smith holding a photo of his roadster in the Henry Ford museum.jpg

16. Yes, Dick Smith was very instrumental in my version of my 32 Ford Roadster, after reading the article in the October 1988 issue of American Rodder.
    He did the hood cutouts with style, like no others I have seen.
    Rest in Peace Dick Smith, you were a true craftsman and pioneer

17. Great tribute to a friend.....and what a simply nice roadster ! Hope he's having fun upstairs.....

Stogy and HEMI32 like this.
  18. Great family with an amazing Hotrod history. Thank you sir. Rest in peace.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

We stopped at The Henry Ford after Autorama and saw the Roadster.
    IMG_8237.JPG IMG_8238.JPG IMG_8242.JPG

deuceman32, Stogy, stanlow69 and 3 others like this.
  20. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember his car with the hemi trying to break out through the hood. In looking at the pictures I don't see a shifter. Is that it on the left side of the steering column? If so have never seen that before. Sounds like one of the good ones. RIP.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Andy

Andy

Smith was the nicest man I have ever known. Not a mean bone is his body. Always polite and wanting to help in any way he could.
    Incredible metal man. He could and did build the nicest parts out of scrap. The patch panels he made for my roadster were made from scrap body panels give to him from body shops. They still had original paint on them but they were perfect. I am proud to have them. I watched him make me a 32 3W ashtray from while sitting cross legged on his driveway. The roadster was in his one star garage and he did not want to move it. He cut it out, formed it, and welded it up using really no rod. He was mad at himself when he had to use the smallest bit. He said there was no need for rod in he had cut the part out right.
    He made all his forms and presses. They were simple looking but cost him almost nothing and worked incredibly well.
    He made some patch panels for me for the Tweety Bird car. I hope they were used.
    It is a big secret but a lot of big name builders would bring him stuff from CA to fix.
    It was an honor to have known him.
    P1040624.JPG P1040625.JPG fullsizeoutput_2b6e.jpeg

22. Andy

Andy

Another little odd bit. If you look closely at the interior shot of his roadster, you will see the 40 column shift rotated 180*. It shifted backward. He said it was for clearance with the hemi and also came in handy when he was dating Judy.
    The car never had a fan and never overheated in Phoenix. Less traffic then.

23. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Cool car, and excellent story...……..RIP and God's Speed!

Stogy likes this.
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sincere sympathy goes out to his Family, and friends

25. alchemy

alchemy

Some day I will have a 32 roadster with a top like his.

Stogy, stanlow69 and HEMI32 like this.
  26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ingenious.
    Nice tribute. RIP

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm pretty sure that Dicks' roadster is the first hemi powered car I ever saw with those scalloped out hood sides, so well executed.

Rickybop, Stogy and HEMI32 like this.
  28. In 1956, Dick played an integral part in the building of the "Valley Auto Special" belly tank lakester that put Ermie Immerso into the prestigious "Bonneville 200 MPH Club" (with a two-way average speed of 213.190 mph).

Here's a pic of the "Valley Auto Special" crew on the salt in ‘56:

Dick Smith with Ermie Immerso's Valley Auto Special at B'ville '56 (photo by Bob D'Olivo) .jpg
    Bonneville National Speed Trials - September 5, 1956
    photo by Bob D'Olivo (for HOT ROD Magazine)​

deuceman32, Stogy, Fordors and 4 others like this.
  29. Saw this car a number of years ago,never forgot it . Awesome car ,and sounds like a awesome guy.

30. Deescott

Deescott

He was a hero to many of us in Phoenix, as well as a shop teacher and mentor to a few awesome hot rodders here. I’ve heard so many neat stories about him from them. It’s also said he was the first to make(among other things), lower shock mounts that bolted to a front axle perch pin, which are so prevalent today. Rest In Peace.