Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone Weld A Steering Shaft?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thegearhead, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Gearhead posted --

On another note attached a few pics of my project car from when i first got it till now.[/QUOTE]

Gearhead --

Love the Crosley. I have a similar car, in queue for a future project. (Just found an original propeller for my grille, which someone stole from mine years ago.) Looks like you've boxed the Crosley frame. What are you planning to use for engine, transmission, and rear end? For the street? If for drag racing, can you get through tech inspection with short wheelbase? Would like to see you start a "build" thread.

If you find you need any Crosley parts, let me know; I have tons (exaggeration) of spares.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  2. I'm a double sinner; welded and chrome plated! Borgeson Corvair adaptor, intended to be welded, been this way for 25 yrs, good as new.
    IMG_0678.JPG

3. And is my Partsheimer's advanced and I am all wet or didn't they lower cars back in the day by cutting off the hub shaft on a spindle and re-weld it to the swivel portion a couple inches higher?

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?........":D

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Sure glad there's no welds on these. And we always drove slow and cautious like and never abused them. :D

Attached Files:

• 28.jpg
      28.jpg
      File size:
      102.7 KB
      Views:
    Piewagn and gary terhaar like this.
  6. Piewagn

Piewagn

I know....right? Geezus.....
    Spend 60 bucks to buy a shaft some other guy welded......
    I'll weld my own thank you.....

7. Piewagn

Piewagn

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

My vote is that the STP on the valve cover stands for.
    Shit The Pants

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. thegearhead

thegearhead

Gearhead --

Love the Crosley. I have a similar car, in queue for a future project. (Just found an original propeller for my grille, which someone stole from mine years ago.) Looks like you've boxed the Crosley frame. What are you planning to use for engine, transmission, and rear end? For the street? If for drag racing, can you get through tech inspection with short wheelbase? Would like to see you start a "build" thread.

If you find you need any Crosley parts, let me know; I have tons (exaggeration) of spares.[/QUOTE]
    Nice and actually there are a few parts I'm in need of! Also yes I've boxed the frame added heavier leafs up front and full leafs in the rear. Rear diff is a narrowed vega 6.5 ( got a lot of grief about it already) but it was cheap and still an upgrade over the original. Engine is a 99 s10 2.2 efi with the 5 spd manual trans. It's just going to be my run around street cruiser. I'd post a build thread but rules wise my drive-train to new for here to bad cause i got all the pics haha.

Attached Files:

10. There is not a lot of tension or compression on a steering shaft. There is a bit of torque when you are turning the wheel, but that is highest when you are not moving or just starting to move and making a sharp turn. A failure would seem to most likely occur at very low speed. Vibration might cause a crack that starts at a welding flaw, but it would, in my marginally educated view, expand only if there was significant torsional stress on the shaft.

I did not worry about the possibility of a failure and welded my steering shaft. I mated a Studebaker tapered shaft to my F100 column in my 29 cabriolet. Because the tubular shaft sections had different inner diameters (wall thicknesses), I had a thick wall tubular shaft section machined down a bit so it would slip fit inside the two pieces. I welded the slip fit section to one piece and then did a butt weld and rosette weld of the other piece to make the new shaft at the correct length and get a solid connection. Hot rodding frequently requires blending of parts from different sources, and welding may be required. Certainly a made up driveshaft undergoes orders of magnitude more stress than a steering shaft will ever encounter.

Anyhow, I got the most beautiful, unique custom made steering wheel (my opinion) for my car, and that is what all the effort is about, making something that gives you the owner/builder happiness
    [​IMG]

11. banditomerc

banditomerc

Weld it and pin it...

thintin likes this.