Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. I'm sure I'm ok. I still don't have any symptoms. I'm more concerned about going back to work. It's a bug factory. A patient came into the er today and was dead 8 hrs later. Patients are coming in untested exposing everyone. They are now recommending not to bring your clothes or shoes that were worn to work into your house. I will have fresh clothes waiting in the shop each day when I get home.

2. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Wow! So many people do not know about things like this. Good luck to you and stay healthy!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

4. The shift lever between the seats is for reverse; neutral and forward. The air shift buttons on the steering wheel are for second and third gear. All shifting functions are manual all the time race or street.

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  5. Thanks Brian... Fuel is a different animal as everything is into the "Extreme" level! Then you run dual fuels to accommodate Gas for the street... Pretty insane!
    Sent from my LM-V405 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

racer-x likes this.
  6. Joe H

Joe H

When the time comes to run again, will you be able to run on alcohol if you can't get enough nitro? How much difference is an alcohol motor from a fuel motor?

Joe

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. My friend is a firefighter... Told me that they have two types of ambulances... Clean and Dirty and both respond and after the patient is determined + or - will determine which vehicle!

He told me a local hardware store donated masks and gloves to the EMT's!
    Sent from my LM-V405 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. The engines run very different compression; converters and cams. I have enough nitro to last me to drag week.
    Don't take this the wrong way guys I would sell the car before I would run it on alchohol. It's just not the same in so many ways.

9. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Once you have been atop the throttle on a nitro car everything else kinda.....Well just sucks.... lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I just was wondering about if air is needed to make the street shifts. I know how the Lenco works. Me and my buddy we’re this close to running one case on our drag boat(Penta powered of course) back in the 90s. We kept breaking a shaft in the outdrive(that was intended to break when you hit rocks or something I believe) on the larger nitrous pills. We lost interest, real shame cause the engine was a beast.

enloe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

he doesn't have levers, he has air pistons, so yeah, it needs air to shift it, street or strip.

enloe and mad mikey like this.
  12. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

How many times can you shift before recharge the air?
    Tony

Runnin shine likes this.
  13. I have a bottle in the car that holds 8.5lbs of co2. I was able to run the car all season on two bottles. It costs about five dollars to fill one. The pressure gauge shows pressure in the bottle not volume. A scale is needed to determine how full it is. The bottle is stamped with a weight. The place that fills them uses this to make sure they don't over fill them. They are filled on a scale. Staying on top of the weight is a big deal. I ran out at the fallout last year. There was not enough pressure on the clutch pack. That's what caused the burned up clutch pack. We have changed our servicing and race day preparations since then.

14. The pistons have a o ring on them. The bottles are stamped and dot approved. They need to be hydro tested on a regular basis. The bottle is attached behind the seats. They should be good for 1000 shifts. 20200326_101354.jpg 20200326_101550.jpg 20200326_101906.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thank you Brian. This is what I was confused about. I couldn’t answer how you could have adequate air supply to operate so long on the street.

16. rooman

rooman

Provided that there are no leaks in the system a bottle (especially a large one) last a long time because each shift uses a relatively small volume of gas and the only time that any is lost is when you "downshift".

Roo

enloe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. The co2 bottle also supplies the brunos air brake.

enloe, loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  18. It was a good weekend to tackle a big wiring job I have been putting off for a long time. The efi wiring harness comes as a universal fit. Several sensors wires were too long. I had a big ball of extra wire hidden under the car. It looked nasty and unprofessional. It also was extra weight. Each wire was cut to length; soldered then covered with harbor freight marine shrink wrap. The marine grade is twice as thick. A battery box was made then the new lithium ion battery was mounted. New battery cable was needed so I picked up a 50 foot spool of 3 gauge. A lot of time was spent cleaning up all the wiring issues. The moment of truth went great with no smoke. Everything works. I'm on emergency call right now for the next week. I would have started it up but then I can't here the pager if I'm called in. I will be ready to street drive it very soon. I can get around the stay at home order by driving it to the hospital. They don't have any limitations on what you drive to work. 20200329_173947.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That could provide a rapid response time if you're called in! :D

20. I have actually driven it in a few times on call. It adds some legitimacy to being a street car. I have enough confidence in the car to drive it in on emergencies. It can't break down.

21. My son told me about the marine grade. I went to my local harbor freight and they did not have it. Only the regular stuff. I had to go to the milwaukee location to get some. I will get a part number off the container. It says marine on it. I'm surprised how nice it is.

22. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

This one?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe, chryslerfan55, Chucky and 4 others like this.
  23. I used the marine grade with the glue already inside it and shrink's down to one third the original diameter. Once it's in place, it's staying there. Got mine on Amazon.

Chucky and loudbang like this.
  24. The good the bad and ugly.

Its 60 degrees today in Wisconsin. Warm enough to fire the car with heavy Lucas nitro oil. As is the case each year I start it on gas first. The car fired right up and sounded great.

The bad. The oil cooler has a crack in the fins. I couldn't run the car long. That big missle enterprises pump can really pump the oil.

The ugly. Seventy weight nitro oil is no fun to clean up. It's worse when it's cold.

The good news. Its covered under warranty saving me 130.00 dollars. I must have put it together right because it sounded soooooo good. I should get a replacement by the weekend. I'm thinking before I go racing that a spare may be good to have on hand. 20200408_140121.jpg

mad mikey, kiwijeff, enloe and 7 others like this.
  25. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Hopefully the floor got the worst of it and not the car! Do you have neighbor kids come watch when you fire it up? (Maybe not right now in the lock down) I grew up close to Jerry Ruth and we would ALWAYS go over to watch when he would fire up his nitro cars!

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

FinnishFireball and loudbang like this.
  26. I got lucky. It didn't spray out just oozed out onto the ground. The car is clean.

mad mikey, enloe, Woogeroo and 3 others like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dang, better the shop than the shoulder I suppose.

loudbang likes this.
  28. I really wanted to get some heat into it. I could have then re torqued the heads; reset the lash and inspected the filter. I guess the chevelle will get some needed attention now.

mad mikey, enloe, Woogeroo and 3 others like this.
  29. Ever have a idea that at first seemed to be good only to later on prove it was not?
    When I installed the fire system I put a bracket on the floor between the seats. I figured I could just reach down and pull them. It proved to be a poor idea because with five layer gloves on it wasn't easy to get at. I also couldn't remove the floor without disconnecting the cables as they ran through openings in the floor. I have been thinking about where they should go for a while.
    I have the fuel shutoff and mag kill within easy reach now. That was changed after the Byron incident. I thought i should put the fire pull handles close by so I'm not reaching around for them. Now I can push forward shutting off the mag and fuel in one easy motion then grab the fire handles and pull back in another easy motion. The fire handles are close enough together were I can grab both at the same time. I have been on fire before. The smoke is so instantly thick you can't see. Everything is done by feel. I made a bracket that would be welded to the kill switch/ fuel shut off pre existing bracket. I had my friend Howard Kaye tig weld it on so mig weld splatter wouldn't burn up the gauges and hurt the windshield. Howard is a very accomplished fabricator having worked at one of the countries best chassis shops R+B chassis during the 60s. He hasn't lost a thing. The car is much safer now. Time well spent. 20200418_094915.jpg 20200423_192914.jpg 20200423_192931.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  30. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

mad mikey, loudbang and racer-x like this.