Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Harbor Freight Tools for Schools

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51504bat, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know we all have our opinions about Harbor Freight, some good and some not so good. But I think most if not all of us agree that high school shop classes and tech schools are considered the red haired step children of our college or nothing educators/school boards. That said I got this in an email from Harbor Freight and I hope its OK to post here. If not and the mods delete it I understand.

Our team at Harbor Freight is hard at work making sure we continue to meet your essential needs for tools and equipment during these challenging times. We are committed to your safety and health, and to bringing you value when you need it the most.

We also want to bring the Harbor Freight community some joy and inspiration as we work together to get through this. Next time you visit HarborFreight.com or one of our stores, we hope you’ll take a moment to look for a poster of a smiling teacher holding a big check for $100,000.00.

In that photo, Wendy, a Florida high school agriculture teacher, just won the 2019 Harbor Freight Tools for Schools Prize for Teaching Excellence. She was one of 18 winners across America who, along with their public high schools, shared in the $1,000,000 Harbor Freight Tools for Schools awards each year to some of the best skilled trades teachers out there.

This year, please join us in helping to honor great teachers like Wendy. Think of teachers at the high school or career and tech center in your neighborhood...even though those schools may be closed during this crisis. Thank them. Then encourage them to apply for the 2020 Harbor Freight Tools for Schools Prize for Teaching Excellence at hftforschoolsprize.org. Tell them they deserve to be recognized for their incredible work and, even during this difficult time, they deserve to be celebrated.

Sincerely,

Eric Smidt
    Owner and Founder
    Harbor Freight Tools

Harbor Freight Tools for Schools is a program of The Smidt Foundation established by Harbor Freight Tools founder Eric Smidt. For more information about the program, please visit: https://harborfreighttoolsforschools.org/. Applications for the prize are open at hftforschoolsprize.org. Stay up to date on the latest prize news on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

That's awesome, its nice to see some companies give back... Sadly many don't

b-body-bob, loudbang and 51504bat like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Great thing to do

loudbang and 51504bat like this.
  4. I support Harbor Freight, I am not a professional, just an average guy watching where I spend my Social Security money.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks, 5150. I am a Snap-On 'lifer'...but in the last 20+ years, I've come to thank the Almighty for Harbor Freight. Kudos to Eric for backing the Trade Schools.
    When we need good mechanics, we won't be recruiting from Yale, Harvard, et al.
    I frequent Harbor Freight for various tools.

Motorcycle tire irons: ++++! Hammers are well made, respect them and they'll serve you well. I have bought some specialized sockets, 1/4" hex tools for my electric DeWalt drill drivers, rotating 5" vise, even some of my blacksmith tools came from there. (I bought some chisels & drifts, put 'em in my forge, did the routine. Now, they look great and are harder than a whore's heart.)
    Be selective. Most tools are good quality, but...be selective!

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

7. My local Harbor Fright has zero inventory of fascial masks and rubber gloves. NONE. When I inquired they told me the entire inventory of gloves and masks have been donated to many local hospitals in our surrounding communities. They stepped up big in a time of need.

8. 52HardTop

52HardTop

You know, you got to like that. After nearly 50 years in the electrical trade, I'm inside now and have become an Instructor at one of the smaller Tech schools in my area. I'm the guy who gets the 20s & 30s somethings into the shop and teach them the hands on practical way to become an electrician. When you see the lack of experience that most have with hand tools, you would think I should have run out the door! Yet, it doesn't take forever before they're actually putting in to practice what I've been teaching. It's heartwarming to see them learning and using their tools like the pros do. Just maybe they will spend the rest of their productive lives with tools in their hands. Just as I did. We so much need technically able young people out there in the real world. Us old dinosaurs have to get out of the way and let them take over. To have the support of the tool suppliers is definitely a good thing. Especially for the next generation of those who will make their living with their tools in their hands.

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I agree. Kudos , kudos and more kudos to Harbor Freight. They did the same with masks and gloves at our local store.

Truckdoctor Andy, 51504bat and Latigo like this.
  10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It great that Harbor Freight puts it's tools in the hands of students who can use them.

11. Good on them...and you know once they graduate and start earning the big bucks they'll be stepping into that Snap On voodoo van.......

loudbang likes this.
  12. I’m all in favor of getting any brand of tools into the kids hands. Hopefully at least a few of them will realize how great making a living using their hands and tools really is. Not ever kid is cut out for a four year college and more vocational training is needed. There is a critical shortage of auto and truck mechanics now. Good on Harbor Freight.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

51504bat and stillrunners like this.
  13. I hope this will urge other companies to donate tools as well.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.