Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 five window projects

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Budweiser, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Picked up this f1 gear box today for the coupe. I lucked out searching on offer up for hot rod parts. This gem came up had to snatch it up. B[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Sweet wasn’t sure what to put on it ,thanks .

3. Matlack

Matlack

great start. looking forward in watching the build.

Budweiser likes this.
  4. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Big block mounts out !! Will mock up my flathead this weekend hopefully. Also made a hole where the stock steering gear box went so I can mock up the gearbox[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Andy

Andy

FYI You have a F100 box not a F-1

alfin32 likes this.
  6. clem

clem

Gibbs is the only thing to use, every where, chassis also, seems expensive but you actually use very little. - have you done it yet ?.......

dwollam likes this.
  7. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Yeah used it looks good .

8. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Just finished making my trans mounts for the coupe. Also made a frame for my body to place on top of. IMG_5461.JPG IMG_5462.JPG IMG_5453.JPG IMG_5459.JPG IMG_5460.JPG

9. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Motor and transmission are in, next is to figure out steering . Add my 32 spindles and throw some heat on them bad boys.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Fern 54, Budweiser and koolbeans like this.
  11. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

You're doing excellent fab work. Great looking Ford! This Buds for you!

Budweiser likes this.
  12. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Damn that looks sweet man, love it can’t wait to get mine on the road .

RustyDogg likes this.
  13. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Got my 32 spindles reamed with new bushings and had some time to paint my 32 plates as well.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

alfin32, uncleandy 65 and Fern 54 like this.
  14. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Before I painted them.[​IMG]

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

So glad you got that surface rust off!

Budweiser and loudbang like this.
  16. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Quick update on the coupe. So I came across a problem with my f1 pedals,apparently the shaft is so worn out and there’s no reproduction part for it. So I went down to early ford store in San Dimas out here in Cali to see if their might be a shaft similar in diameter. After looking through some I found one that’s a few inches longer but will work. Part number taaa-7506 . If you guys come across this problem this is what I used for my pedal assembly. I cut the shaft to the same size in length and added a washer at the end so the clutch pedal won’t slip out. Welded that baby up probably could have done a better job but it was my first attempt lol. Let me know if you guys have any better suggestions thanks.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

17. Pete

Pete

Love the build

loudbang likes this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy

Should have put the weld on the outside of the washer. Your pedal is gonna scrape against that fillet weld now.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  19. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Yeah eventually the pedal will wear down , I’ve decided to try something else. Same concept but make a washer that will fit around the diameter then weld up on the outside like you said. This way I get more meat on the weld then I can cut to size.

Desoto291Hemi, Fern 54 and loudbang like this.
  20. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Had some time to mock up my radiator, drilled some holes and got my headlight bar up as well. IMG_5546.JPG IMG_5543.JPG

21. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Looks great!! I love that you are going with a Flathead and 3spd with open drive, I put a 5 speed behind my Flathead in my 3W and love it!!.............Also the F100 column you have will work great in a 32 frame with a Flathead, the F1 is the best one for a AV8.

Budweiser, Fern 54 and loudbang like this.
  22. Mattsbidnuz

Mattsbidnuz

That 32 looks great. Nice find. Looks like the progress is coming nicely as well. Just posted an album on my page, but here is the most recent picture of my build. Not a 32, but it is a 1928 Closed cab pickup.
    Slide63.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  23. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Here's mine. Very basic early post war hot rod. 59ab,39 trans and 40 rear. 40 ford brakes all around with orig paint steelies.Real mor-drop big beam axle. I envisioned it this way for years before i actually built it. The bottom picture is from it's last resting place.It had been a hot rod forever.

Attached Files:

rod1, alfin32, redoxide and 7 others like this.
  24. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@jailhousebob coupe looks awesome see you at the next swap?:( Cruise? :mad::D

loudbang likes this.
  25. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Thanks John, hope we get to have some activity this year !

loudbang likes this.
  26. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Had some time this past week to mock up my f1-pedals. Tacked everything in place , still need to heat up the arms, to clear but everything is in position. I will place the body on the frame soon so I can mock up my seat and build a base for it as well. Once I do that I can also put my gear box in and set up where the placement for that will be. So much to do but I’m doing it little at a time. By the way I will add some support to the frame from the piece that I had cut off. IMG_5595.JPG IMG_5594.JPG IMG_5589.JPG IMG_5596.JPG

27. This thing is wicked cool

Fern 54, loudbang and Budweiser like this.
  28. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Made some more progress on the seat frame today. I will trim it up A bit once I drill my holes so I can bolt it down. Found this seat at a junkyard out of a minivan. I can’t afford an original so this will have to do.Hopefully this weekend I can heat up the clutch and brake pedals so I can mount my column and start cutting that down to fit. IMG_5603.JPG IMG_5598.JPG IMG_5604.JPG

29. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Got my 33 wishbones in today and set them at 7 degrees. I couldn’t run my hairpins I had due to the f1-gear box set up I’m going with. Clearance issues, this should make it easier for me. Also the frame came with a straight front cross member so this was an issue for me to get the right angle on the axel. Had to place the wishbones in the middle of the frame. [​IMG] IMG_5613.JPG IMG_5614.JPG IMG_5615.JPG

30. redoxide

redoxide

Great project, Looked a milliontimes better after the rust treatment .

Looking at the pics I was wondering if you maybee had positioned your F1 pedal assembly a bit to far to the right . The anchor pivot for the clutch actuator is usually attached or as near as damit to the chassis directly, That would position the pedals more to the left and allow your colum to pas between the clutch and brake pedal .. Im not picking holes in your work, Im hopeing to maybee point out a small glitch before you button stuff up only to find you have to shift it again..

On issue I had with the F100 "style" steering box inthe 32 frame was the resulting angle of the steering colum. I found that the colum was to far to the left and fitting a 17 inch steering wheel resulted in the wheel almost hitting the inside of the door .. Mind you, that was a 1930 model A body on the 32 rails the 32 might be a little wider as it sits over the rails rather than ontop of them like the A..

Changing the mount angle with a wedge plate didnt work well as the thickness of the wedge plate ( speedway) didnt allow for enough of the sterring box pinion shaft to pass through the chassis for full fitting of the pitman arm.

The pitman arm would not go on far enough to fit the pinch bolt . The angle also created a problem when the steering wheel was turned to the right . As the ptman pulled back it was restricted in its movement by fowling onthe chassis..

I machined the spacer plate down by around 4mm overall thickness which at least gave the pitman the clearance to fit the pinion properly and fit the pinch bolt and give the pitman ( at the pinion) clearance with the chassis when the steering was turned right.

Just a couple of issues I run into with the F100 steering box. Im not exactly sure whatyear my box is but there are several different versions as all Gemmer boxes that look like F1 / F100 are not actually what they might appear to be . Gemmer made similar looking boxes for other auto manufacturers ..

My box was probably one of those alternatives and looking at your box, in the pictures at least, the pinion casting from the main body to the mounting face looks pretty short ... ( that could just be the angle of the box in the photographs )

No negatives here , Just sharing the wee glitches I found. Just things to look out for and consider :) Keep up the great progress:)