Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects High Heat Clear on Flat Head

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HuskerNation, Nov 9, 2019.

1. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

I’m looking for a high heat gloss clear rattle can paint I can use on the head of a flathead engine.

Originally I was going to paint it to match the rest of the engine and after putting a few coats I discovered the Hirsch paint I was using had a formula change & didn’t match in color or sheen. It wasn’t even remotely close so I had to strip it all off.

Once off I realized I really don’t want paint covering up the beautiful head. Thus I’ve been looking for a clear I can use on bare metal/cast iron that can take heat, not yellow or cloud over time.

Bare Head:
    Adjustments.JPG

Head painted (before stripping it off):
    Adjustments.JPG

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

3. v8flat44

v8flat44

You might try Bill Hirsch products ? They do rattle cans, not sure of clear.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Yes, if Bill Hirsch sells a clear coat, it would be great.
    His paints are top notch.

5. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

I’ve had the absolute worst experience with Hirsch paint products. I will never use them again & here is why:

Example of problems with their brush on 2000 degree silver paint:
    [​IMG]

Within a couple weeks of having this problem I ordered the spray can version of the exact same 2000 degree silver paint. I didn’t end up using the spray can until a few days ago which was completely the wrong color & the sheen went from high gloss to flat. When I called them to discuss what was going on they said “ we changed the formula”. It would have been nice of them to have told me because they knew I was working with the gloss formula to begin with. When I brought up the sheen was almost flat, his reply was, “all paint will dull with time”. Really... that’s his answer?!

[​IMG]

In addition to those issues, I was told that paint can handle 2000 degree temps which is why I also painted the exhaust manifold since it sits on top of the engine. It was properly prepped, blasted, cooked in the oven then lacquer thinner before paint. When I first ran the old car for 15-20 minutes, the paint on the exhaust manifold started to turn a burnt brown. I had my infrared thermometer on it & it only got to 325 degrees.

[​IMG]

Thanks, but I’ll never use their products again!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

7. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

I've used motor coater products most brush on ,on my 72 short bed ford with fe engine went on well , and seems to hold up but honestly haven't put many miles since paint was applied , I am pretty sure they have several clear products , wish you well,

8. Eastwood makes a product called "Diamond Clear". Crystal clear rattle can spray, withstands up to 600 degrees and is fuel, chemical, oil resistant. I've used it a few times, seems to be a good product.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Google's your friend
    upload_2019-11-13_11-18-56.png

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pros use catalyzed paint on engines. Specifically, hardened urethane, I think.
    Spray Max makes hardened urethane in spray cans. They have high gloss clear. I never used it. Might do the job.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

I've painted plenty of engines with automotive base/clear, candies and pearls. Never had an issue, doesn't need to be high heat. Prep is key.

12. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

Follow up: I finally got the engine together & have run it for a couple hours total now. The clear I painted the bare head was Duplicolor gloss clear 500 degree F engine paint. We’ll see how it holds up over the long haul...

IMG_0024.JPG

olscrounger likes this.
  13. banjorear

banjorear

I've been told this as well. Think about all those pastel engines in from the '80's/early '90's. Those were done with auto paint.