Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 olds rear end offset?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcclellandb, Apr 22, 2020.

1. mcclellandb

mcclellandb

I installed new tires on my 55. The left rear barely clears the quarter panel but the right rear has 3.5 inches between rubber and sheet metal. Is that normal or is my rear end off?

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Could be body offset on frame or suspension problems, put the car up on stands and start measuring.

3. rtp

rtp

Does the 55olds have coil spring rear suspension?
    If so check the panard bar mounts and bushings.
    Also check the offset of the wheels .

Sent from my 100005207 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I put a rear end in a '41 Chevy coupe. When I put wheels/tires on it, passenger side had 1/4" clearance! Driver side had 5/8". Re-measured, removed wheels, measured again.
    Freshly painted car, everything nice. Finally measured from frame rail to fender, both sides.
    Passenger side (or was it drivers?) fender was a later year, and wider. Otherwise same-same. Owner refused to change fender, had the wheel guy offset one reversed steel wheel an extra 3/8" to make up the difference!
    Some people...

5. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

55 Olds is leaf spring, unlike a chevy the springs sit in line with the frame rails, so either the bushes are badly worn or the frame has damage (crash or rot). Shocks are mounted to a crossmember in the frame (not in the floor like a chevy). Some models (possibly all, not sure) also had a rear sway bar.

The other thing is if the qarter panel has been replaced/see damage and are not the same shape ?

6. BJR

BJR

Measure from the outside of the frame rail to the fender lip on both sides. If different you have found your problem.

mad mikey likes this.