Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help request, injected 426 Hemi dragster, model

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike-model, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost impossible to believe that’s 1/25th scale! I bet the weight is proportionately scaled too, right?

2. Mike-model

Mike-model

Appreciate this, thank you.

The weight is 9 times that of a styrene kit car. Not all that heavy altogether though, but the cars do have a nice heft to them. Especially the metal motors, they're quite a bit different than the plastic models.

Mike..

3. Deuces

Deuces

Way to go Mike!!!!!...... :)
    That's beautiful!...:cool:

4. loudbang

loudbang

Don't forget to scuff up the slicks tread to look like real slicks. :)

5. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I imagine they have a really solid feel in your hand.
    Thanks for sharing!

6. Mike-model

Mike-model

Difficult to get these to look right. They're crummy vinyl. The tire surface is scuffed up! Just the lousy material will not get duller, stays shiny. These tires really suck. This is a major problem for modelers.

I have some really nice slicks for my cars, but they're too tall for an injected car. Nice and soft, with a nice patina. My favorite tire for blown Hemi fuel cars. These here;

-IMG_2256.jpg

These are supposed to be 11.50 x 16 M&H tires, they're close to scale. I like them.

I'm going to try and bring some life into these vinyl slugs, if not, I'll just do the nice M&H tires, just the ride height will have to be adjusted out back as they are taller.

I'd rather have the car look good though and be without any funky and shiny vinyl tires.

I appreciate your thoughts, spot on.

Mike..

7. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Mike, incredible build. You sir are an automotive artist.

Deuces, Mike-model and loudbang like this.
  8. Mike-model

Mike-model

@Offset, I appreciate the comment, and the car model is good. This is not bragging, it's just a fact. I think to know what a small scale model has to have, and for the most part I believe reaching a "museum quality" is a goal that can be reached. At least for the overall view.

The world though is full of experts, especially when online. Some idiot would give me a negative because the tube stems in the slicks are not scale. Sure, the car in this realm is full of issues. I made scale valve stems sticking out of American Racing mags, on a fuel altered Hemi car, which is a whole 5" long, and not a single SOB even noticed. Heck, even with a good closeup lens, I still can hardly view them...but they are there.

But for these folks I'll just ask to kindly go and do it better.

I am not an automotive artist, you guys on the HAMB are true good guys, and artfully restore our asphalt heritage.

I can do small things fairly well, and like doing such.

Still the best, the HAMB.

Mike..

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  9. BigChief

BigChief

10. Mike-model

Mike-model

OK, just had a closer look at the vinyl slicks, they suck. Not only will they not get life like when scuffed, but they remain being a fake and shiny color. No good.

Just mounted the taller tires out back....YES! Now the rearmost zoomie pipes will have to be vertically chopped to make for the real 3" clearance to the tire.

I like!

Mike..

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I know the sidewalls wouldn't look right, but I used to love using foam slicks from 1/24th scale slot cars years ago, they just looked "right" back then. That is a killer model, keep on posting.

Deuces, Mike-model and loudbang like this.
  12. Mike-model

Mike-model

I don't know much about the slot car slicks. Some guys put them on the stand alone cars, they have a nice patina, I guess because they're soft and therefore give grip, but the scales are off fro drag cars. Slot cars need the rpm's, hence the lower profile. Even in drag racing modeling, the slicks are maybe the greatest issue, especially the side walls. Just difficult to get them right.

BUT....Oh yes, I've found something new. I sheet canned the vinyl things and added the tried and true nice and soft and smooth rubber slicks I like the best for 60's to early 70's drag cars.

What really looks nasty on a model car in my opinion, is the fitment of the rim to the tire when the rim sticks out past the wall of the tire. This looks funky and most of the model kits don't help the situation. This needs attention, ASAP.

Here the soft rubber slicks that will be on this car. Taller now, but OK. New though, I've found a way to squeeze the inner and outer tire rim more together, to let the wheel sit well inside of the rubber. Plus, before stuffing the wheel with the oversized back plate (this is what squeezes the tire together more...) I rolled up two surgical gauze pads ans stuffed them into the hollow tire, the soaked then in water, squeezed out the access water, then pressed the inner and outer wheel as a unit through the stuffed tire.

Guys, this is sensational. Look at the way the tire wall bloats out, letting the rim sit inside the tire. Also, a slight bulge around the tire circumference, just like the real thing. This is scale modeling, and I like it.

Here the new tires stuffed and squeezed;

-IMG_3036.jpg -IMG_3037.jpg -IMG_3039.jpg

The "American" wheels here are a nickel alloy which I cast a few years back. The drilled discs are an aftermarket photo etched kit including the calipers. The fellow makes nice parts.

OK. At this point I have to ask if the finished car should be posted here. My initial question has been solved, with many thanks to all for the input and especially @rudestude for his valuable photos which left nothing more to be solved.

I'd like to show the finished car here to make this a case closed. OK?

Mike..

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yes, that will be fine by me, let's see it!

14. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

You gotta show us (several) photos of the finished car! Great work!

mad mikey, Deuces, Mike-model and 2 others like this.
  15. Incredible work sir!

16. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Has anyone ever made a good wrinkle wall slick to show a car as it would sit in the pits or just before a burnout? That would be a cool look for some drag models in the post pie crust era.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can't get us all hot and bothered and then not show us the finished product. This thread is featured for a reason. Your posts so far have been truly amazing and you should be proud of what you've done. Please post some photos of the finished product.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  18. Mike-model

Mike-model

There are some good ones with the wrinkled up sidewall, just unfortunately they're modeled at the launch. Easy to tell the twisting of the rubber as the wheel turns, just looks stupid, my opinion, on a stand alone model. Funnier still, when some fellows mount these in the wrong direction and shows his model. Well, they come out of the woodwork knocking the fellow for this, kind of feel sorry for him. But I'll admit to grinning myself.

There is however a fellow, Guy Beaudette, who recently showed about the best looking fat and low pressure slicks of a parked car that I've ever seen. Maybe he's a member here, I don't know. But I'm going to show this photo of his model anyway, because it kicks butt.

slicks 2.jpg

Wonderful modeling here. The rubber tires are slit with a fine saw, then carefully filed out and smoothed up. This is just wonderful , my opinion. I hope Guy doesn't mind, he is kind of reserved, and I don't know his email.

Here a photo of the "launch tires"....from "Speed City Resins". Funny too, I do believe the shown tires on the car are doing a reverse gear launch....and this, without a driver.....

wrinkle wall slicks.jpg

Great thought, thanks for your interest.

Mike..

19. Mike-model

Mike-model

With great pleasure, I'd like to show the finished car that you fellows have so greatly supported through out the build. Starting with a help request, and after holding my breath for a possible whoopin' for nonsensical waste of time, I soon realized something I never expected from this forum. I'll also have to write, I'm still smiling with pride when I come over here and attend this topic.

150" exact scale wheelbase, 1:25 scale, vintage 1966 FED, with an injected GenII Hemi. No paint, no stickers, just bare bones and sitting low. Brass chassis, aluminum body, cast nickel rear wheels, 40 spoke wire wheel runners, rubber tires. Motor block, heads and valve covers are styrene from a model kit. All the rest is handmade brass, aluminum and stainless steel, and lead based solder wire.

-IMG_3041.jpg -IMG_3043.jpg -IMG_3044.jpg -IMG_3045.jpg -IMG_3046.jpg -IMG_3048.jpg -IMG_3049.jpg -IMG_3050.jpg -IMG_3051.jpg -IMG_3054.jpg

I ordered new seat belt hardware, a wonderful 5 point deal in PE aluminum, just it will take due to China virus until maybe middle May to be delivered....I'll do a short light box sequence after a few small flaws here and there are attended, and when the belts and chute hardware is attached.....more later on this.

Right now though, this car is finished and sitting nicely alongside The Old Master, what a treat!

Thank you sincerely fellows,
    Mike..

20. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us.

21. Mike-model

Mike-model

Here a few more using a light box. I cleaned up the bench and everything is back in it's place, with luckily some new improvements. Dang it, this one is hardly finished, already drawing up plans for the next one. Life is great when you enjoy your hobby, to hell with the rest of the nasty world, let them go crazy.

-IMG_3061.jpg -IMG_3062.jpg -IMG_3063.jpg -IMG_3064.jpg -IMG_3065.jpg -IMG_3066.jpg -IMG_3067.jpg -IMG_3069.jpg

Thank you for looking, this has been fun.

Mike..

22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, thanks for sharing and yes it was fun.

23. loudbang

loudbang

Great job thanks for posting your work. And yes we would welcome and more builds. :)

24. WOW! That is an amazing display of talent! Thanks for sharing with us who lack that. Bring on the next one please.

Deuces, mad mikey, Mike-model and 2 others like this.
  25. Mike-model

Mike-model

Fellows, in closing I'd love to relate my enthusiasm about this forum and all of the areas available.

I've been visiting here for years, looking for tips and history and photos of the real thing. All of this for my own personal benefit.

I've become kind of rich from what you guys do, and show. Rich being, able to replicate real cars, real hotrods, motors, and real drag racing cars back in time, from real live information. Just in a small scale.

Upon becoming a member here, I was expecting heat for my reasons of joining.

Nope. You have all been so kind, and I'm a proud and happy dude.

For the next project, already gathering information. I like this one...really something special. Plus, I have personal contact with the little boy, back then, who's Dad had this is in his garage!

Magwinder 1.jpg

This photo from the Don Garlits Museum, from another link.

I think to have most of the details and specs. Might look good sitting alongside these two, from the 60's...already on the shelf.

-IMG_3072.jpg -IMG_3073.jpg -IMG_3074.jpg

Yes, a Sidewinder.

Thank you guys,
    Mike..

26. I have to say thanks so much for all of this Mike. With the situation of the world like it is, this has put a big smile on my face. I really enjoy seeing your incredible work.:)

27. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Mike, I hope you will keep this thread going with your next project. Fascinating topic.

28. Mike-model

Mike-model

Well, I'm already collecting information and specs for the "Magwinder". With pleasure I also did a search here, and our @loudbang made a recent topic with sensational photos of this car. Here;

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/sidewinder-dragsters-some-history.1169136/

Excellent read. Also saw some photos of the car previously unseen. The admin on a model car forum is very familiar with the car from his family, and still has contact with the builder of the Kent Fuller Magwinder car, Chuck Jones. This is indeed something different, and should be great modeling material.

Just found out today, 113" wheelbase, 30.5" height overall. Still have no info on the track width though. The project is now concentrated on collecting enough info and photos to make a plan, so it can be printed out to a true scale, then the chassis can be started.

Here a few photos,

7h.jpg -23385391_3526082473052234381_n-vi.jpg Magwinder1-vi.jpg

I've seen a few variations of this one, especially noting the front axle, which is from a VW beetle. I'd rather go with a single dropped front chromed axle, with wishbone radius rods. Also the rear wheels as American 5 spokes would be my preference.

Mike..

29. Mike-model

Mike-model

UPDATE:

New information about the sidewinder car mentioned here.

First of all of course, the "sidewinder" label is only meant as an unofficial classification for the car/drivetrain design. The "Sidewinder" car in the Garlits Museum, and the white/red "Magwinder", are the same car. The yellow "Sidewinder" has the sanitized, cleaned up front suspension with a single dropped axle, I like this setup.

Interesting anecdote concerning the Garlits Museum. The fellow I have my info from, has 1st hand knowledge of the doings here. His father piloted the Magwinder later on. He pleaded with Mr. Garlits to not add the wing to the car in his museum, as this was added later on from another owner. He wished the car to have the original Magwinder setup, being without spoiler. I agree, I like it better without. He also stated, even though he likes Mr. Garlits and always got along well, he thinks Mr. Garlits just prefers a little "show" for his collection. Which seems a bit odd to me, as the Garlits cars were everything but show, they were just GO. No chrome.

Starting a new project is interesting, and one can be very grateful that fellows are still around with lots of valuable information. Getting things to be exact as possible, makes modeling fun.

One more about this Magwinder, here about the coolest Kent Fuller image I've seen. 1443 lbs, but he can lift the front....look;

Chuck Jones, Kent Fuller, Magwinder 1.jpg
    With the 392 Hemi tilted forward, the car only has 30.5" from ground to the highest point. Gosh, kind of like a bigger type go-kart on steroids. Hemi-roids.

Mike..

30. Mike-model

Mike-model

Today the bench cleaning ceremony is done. After every project, this has to be done...or else nothing can be found again.

Everything in a good place and available, even a lot better than it was, good stuff.

The handful of model cars got a wash and shine too. Here a few photos of my darlings, a Fuel Altered Trilogy from the 60's. These are entirely fabricated from metal, brass, nickel alloys, chrome/moly alloys, copper and aluminum. Only the bodies are resin aftermarket pieces. All wheels are nickel or steel alloys. High temp casting methods used here. This is my small world. I like this stuff. The motors have up to 400 single individual single parts.

Maybe some eye candy for real hot rod guys in these troubling days....soon to end. Let's get up and get going!

-IMG_3095.jpg -IMG_3096.jpg -IMG_3098.jpg -IMG_3099.jpg -IMG_3101.jpg

Slowly gathering good details for the next project, the "Magwinder". I would like to finish a "dragster trilogy" soon. Just a selection of cars that were built and raced and loved back in the day.

Mike..