Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical citric acid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msgt tank, Apr 22, 2020.

1. msgt tank

msgt tank

we tried the citric acid solution on some parts after reading hambers success. it works very well. we put a very rusty crankshaft and some 8ba manifolds in 3 gallons of water to 1 cup of citric acid. 2 days everything was clean. the residue brushes off with a paint brush. thank you for posting this. we don't have to buy expensive solution at the hardware store when we can make the stuff for pennies. we won't be passing on rusty parts at the swap meet anymore. i mean, when we get to go to a swap meet.

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

Available at Lowe's or Home Depot?

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah we buy the dried flakes and mix it up, works great!

kidcampbell71 likes this.

4. Sporty45

Sporty45

VANDENPLAS and stillrunners like this.
  5. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I like the stuff too.

6. great testimonial.....can't wait to try it.........

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

It's magic that's for sure. I love the stuff.

8. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I ordered some of the food grade citric acid after reading about it here on the H.A.M.B. It is working very well for me so far. How long does the solution stay active or does it ever ware out?

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

My batch is 3 years old. The water looks a bit more crusty. Scan0488.jpg IMG_20200611_0001.jpg

VANDENPLAS, vtx1800 and Lil'Alb like this.
  10. fordpatina

fordpatina

White vinager works great as well

seb fontana likes this.
  11. RMONTY

RMONTY

How many pounds of citric acid for a 250 gallon tank do you reckon?

12. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Assume you fill your 250 gallon tank with 225 gallons of water and use the suggested 1 cup to 3 gallons of water, you would need 25 pounds. It's about 3 cups per pound.

pitman and bobss396 like this.
  13. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thanks for the quick reply.....wasnt sure what the weight would be....I'm off to order some....

Tim likes this.
  14. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you get the specific stuff that you will use, weight out a cup or two. The powders vary some depending on how course.

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I tried it and I'm impressed but some parts were coat in a yellowish/white residue when laying on the bottom which was a little difficult to remove. I'm a big fan of reverse hydrolysis.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I usually stick to white vinegar as most of the stuff I do is small.

seb fontana likes this.
  17. RMONTY

RMONTY

25 lbs ought to be about right but I'll weigh it up before dumping it all in. 20200528_142652.jpg

pitman likes this.
  18. ^^^^ This is what I used. Cut the top out and attached back on with hinges and a handle.
    The top helps to stop evaporation.
    I run a couple of bars side to side and hang the parts off wires so they are off the bottom.
    It does a great job.

kadillackid likes this.
  19. indyjps

indyjps

I use citric acid a lot. For chrome I prefer oxalic acid ( wood bleach). Quick jobs I reach for phosphoric after wire wheeling. I stay complete away from muratic- nasty.

Neutralize any of it with baking soda and dish soap. Dish soap by itself is mildly basic on PH scale.

Ive set up electrolysis tanks, the need for line of sight to electrode is a pain for many parts.

Molasses, works, the smell gags me when it goes sour, gave up and using the rest of my molasses to fertilize the yard.

20. 62SY4

62SY4
    from Irwin, Pa

I'm not sure what that crud is, but if your experience was like mine it takes a chipping hammer to remove it. Stronger acids don't touch it, nor do strong bases ???

21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Here is what I have been cobbling up to derust parts as a couple of posters have mentioned above. Should be able to put some large stuff in as well as the smaller stuff. I have a couple of engines that I want to insure I get all the rust build-up out of the water jacket before moving on to a final clean-up. I attached a battery tray from a 90s (?) Ford pick-up because it was the right shape and size. That allows me to either switch to electrolysis later if I want, but also to power a small trolling motor. I figure since the water jackets may have pockets of rust inside, I want to be able to create a flowing motion in the tank occasionally to insure the removed rust floats out of any pockets.
    I'm making a companion to it to degrease parts (like the engine block) before introducing them to the citric acid bath. Hopefully that will keep the acid bath a little cleaner. For the degreasing tank, I picked up a "job box" or "gang box" off Marketplace. They are large and strong and have a fold down lid to keep stuff out while the object of my affliction soaks for an extended period. I found a small "agitator" on Marketplace for $20 that I'm going to mount in the degreasing tank to also create some flow on occasion. Its a small motor with about a 2" propellor and a speed control. Haven't finished the degreaser yet, or finished disassembling the first motor......The basic idea is to pressure wash the motor (and myself) and get the initial crud off it (thats done). Soak the block and heads in the degreasing tank for several days while working on other projects. Remove the block and pressure wash again. Then put it in the citric acid bath for a few days and then hose it off again. Cadillac engines tend to run hot so I want to insure there are no rust buildups inside before I drop a bunch more money into it.

Added note 7/7/20 : Don't want anyone else to make the same mistake I did with the "job box". Turns out that the one I bought looks one piece and water tight.....but it ain't. The bottom leaks like a sieve. I could line the bottom edges of the tank with Por 15 tank sealer, but I decided to flip it over and weld the seam. It will still make a great cleaning tank when done, but I wanted everyone to know before they try to make a similiar one. Not sure if all brands do that, so check the way its made before buying. I'd still do it again because its what I want and holds larger stuff than most tanks.;)
    DSCN2252.JPG
    DSCN2253.JPG
    DSCN2258.JPG DSCN2259.JPG
    DSCN2263.JPG

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  22. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Its so damn easy and works great, glad to see folks catching on .

Sent from my SM-A205U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

stanlow69 likes this.
  23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you use a plastic tank a good agitator is a jitterbug sander strapped to the outside with bungee cords.
    I used to run the Certo line at General Foods. Where Certo spilled on the machinery it took the paint off then when it rusted, took the rust off too. Certo contains citric acid.
    Not suggesting you use Certo, just a side light on the citric acid effectiveness.

razoo lew and ekimneirbo like this.
  24. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Question after your done using the citric acid how are you disposing of it?

Jimbo

25. I'm using 1 pound per 5 gallons, but the mix is flexible and if it works at 3, go with it. It will probably work a lot faster.

26. I dump it down the storm drain in front of my house or in the drain in my driveway. I dump my rinse bucket of baking soda solution right after it. But I work in 5-6 gallons if it at a time.

27. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As to the mix ratio, when trying to answer RMONTY's question I used the 1 cup to 3 gallons that the original poster claimed to work well for him to ballpark how much he would need for his 250 gallon tank. Filling it to 225 just made the math easy. I imagine that different powders work a bit different and some minor adjusting would be needed to tweak the juice. Kind of "your mileage my vary" kind of thing.

28. RMONTY

RMONTY

I will report back what 25 lbs does in 225 gallons. I have several pieces ready to go in as soon as the product arrives. Ill be working on the tank this weekend to get it ready to go. Shouldn't take long to cut the top out and hinge it back on.

pitman and raven like this.
  29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I just use an electric leaf blower. Put it in the solution and turn it on. Scan0488.jpg

vtx1800 and ekimneirbo like this.