Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Easy, cheap engine test stand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintage44, Apr 6, 2015.

1. I have started them just hanging from a chain from an overhead crane, not an engine hoist. But I'm sure you could make a quick stand from some 2X8s standing on edge and a couple laying flat under them. drywall screws holding them together. just have the ones standing on edge just far enough for the pan to sit between so the edge will support the engine on the flange of the oil pan.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  2. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

<edit> A while back, I made a run stand from the front section of a Studebaker Lark frame. I figured that way I could hook it all up with stock radiator, support and hoses. It cost me the price of a set of casters. The pics are shortly after I built it.

P1020729.JPG P1020730.JPG

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Snicklefritz65 and Atwater Mike like this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Any radiator that will fit usable hoses, etc. A fan would be necessary for elongated running time, if there's no fan on the engine just use a home box fan in front.

I recall in Sacramento there was a guy that lived a block away from neighbors, had a big oak tree in the front yard. I had talked with him about some Model A parts, when I pulled up there was an engine hanging from the main branch of the tree...RUNNING!
    O.K., I've run 'em on the ground before, but this 318 Dodge was hanging there, idling. Nobody around, 'til he came outside... LOL

cactus1 likes this.
  4. Tdesoto276

Tdesoto276
    from Des Moines

I started with an craigslist-find industrial cart ($40) and cut up afacebook marketplace engine stand ($30). Used angle iron for the radiator supports and old sheetcake pans for the fan shroud and control panel/battery cart. Radiator and fuel tank are from another project.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      116.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      112.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      114.2 KB
      Views:
    Tri-power37 and triumph 1 like this.
  5. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I had some self isolation time , craigslist 283 , some scrap steel and a old engine stand. When I first compressed the engine it had around 75 pounds compression after getting it running and fiddling with it to get it running pretty good I am now getting about 165 pounds compression and about 35 psi oil pressure.

I couldn’t be happier with this engine stand it made it really helpful and easy to figure out what this used engine was like. The future plans are to have the 283 rebuilt and then I can break it in on the stand. Old engine stands are cheap but I think the ones that have the bottom platform with the wider footprint like the one in my pictures is more stable than the other type of engine stands.

The engine stand and new pieces added to make it a run stand can still be broken down and stashed away.
    174578ED-83CB-4E69-BE6B-4E6FB56A19D3.jpeg
    211D53C5-E542-4867-B293-DF5F04B8F216.jpeg
    8A254CC0-8FC3-4303-9549-146D8D6F6872.jpeg
    0F087A14-1507-41F0-B359-A0974E0C5729.jpeg
    1D5C5C33-7E57-4A11-89B2-29201D68E4A5.jpeg

Snicklefritz65, fiftyv8 and stanlow69 like this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Years ago, when we were playing with flatheads, I took a front half of a rusty 37 Ford frame, and built this one. Shown here retrofitted for a 354 Chrysler. Handy tool ! IMG_3098.JPG

7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I like an engine stand to have large enough wheels to be able to roll it around freely when loaded and the chassis/frame high enough off the floor for a leg of my garage crane to be able to clear underneath from any angle.
    My personal engine stand is no perfect by any means, but I do have an attachment that allows me to carry both engine an tranny if required.
    I need to review it one day to make into a folding up arrangement as these stands do consume a lot of floor space.

Website for Northern Tool Co says those engine stands are no longer available.
    Kinder surprising unless they were too expensive, as no price shown now...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  8. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

whipped this one together out of scraps, put the radiator in the back so I could do a cam change and then break it in. 95 camaro radiator and dual electric fans.

091.JPG
    098.JPG
    099.JPG

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

This was posted once before, and it seems like a pretty darn good idea to me! A couple/few extra supports, and since you're only going to fire it up, then shut it down, you're basically covered. Add a radiator, or even just a garden hose to supply water, a simple wiring circuit, a battery and box, and throw some paint on it if you want; done. Well done Tri-power37. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. that northern tool stand is available through Summit. Said stand does not get great reviews... rated as flimsy construction, lousy instruction manual....The usual bitches.....I suspect a buyer with a skill set could overcome that stuff, but could probably build their own thing anyway.

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

LAROKE likes this.
  12. yeah that second one is the one with the negative reviews......

13. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Wish there was an easy way to start and do a cam break in on a 440 mopar. But the great idea of putting the starter ring gear on the damn torque converter kinda screws things up.