Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Locate Battery in Trunk. What gauge?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wvenfield, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Might want to check on the “ Anti- gravity” battery. Right on the case is says max charge 12 amps! Never seen a 12 amp generator or alternator! When you charge a battery too fast it damages it!

Bones

Desoto291Hemi and BigChief like this.
  2. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

The only thing with Lithium batteries is that if they catch fire, they cant be put out unless you drown them in sand. Fire extinguisher will not touch them. A friend of mine designs and installs fire suppression systems, and had this come up with him. Solution for possible fire was battery's surrounded by concrete, basically a tomb, so that if they went, the hopper of sand above would bury them. Due to cost, the customer didnt do it. 6 months later, the shipping container they had them in was melted by the fire. The fire brigade attended only to make sure it didnt spread, as they couldn't put it out.

town sedan likes this.
  3. Arominus

Arominus

For smaller li-ion fires you use a class B extinguisher ,preferably a halotron as it doesn’t mess up electrical stuff like an ABC does. Those are also good for oil and gas so it’s a great one to have in the car. IMO everyone should have a quality fire extinguisher in their rod anyways. Too much time and money Involved to risk not having it.

These are small batteries vs what’s in an EV. 15lbs vs 1200lbs. You can get these under control.

https://resources.impactfireservices.com/how-do-you-put-out-lithium-ion-battery-fire

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A
    AND “that’s that “ .:oops::D

Flathead Dave likes this.
  5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

:cool:

6. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

The maximum output rating of an alternator has nothing to do with the charge rate of the battery. The voltage regulator does that. A 200 amp alternator will charge at half an amp if the voltage regulator tells it to. The amps going into the battery is dependent on the voltage applied to it.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Fire is a concern. I am quite certain that a lithium battery will not spontaniously combust when it is not being charged or discharged. So I always have my lithium battery disconnected when the car is parked in the shop. I have the NHRA mandated cutoff switch anyway. I never leave it with a charger on it unattended.

Kevin Ardinger likes this.
  8. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I know a guy that messes with lithium ion batteries on a regular basis. He says you never leave one unattended on a charger. Lead acid batteries are much safer so I guess there’s a trade off.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

town sedan likes this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Joel, I have a very good understanding of charging systems, having maintained a fleet of vehicles that were very demanding on the charging system for over 33 years.
    If, for some reason ,your battery gets somewhat discharged, say a flooded engine, you left your lights on or even if you don’t drive your vehicle for while, your automotive alternator will charge your battery at a rate near it’s capacity for a time. Then it will slowly cut back to just a few amps once the battery is close to 100% charged.
    One of the smallest, common, automotive alternator is the 37 amp General Motors alternator. Even that one will charge the “ Anti Gravity “ battery at nearly three times it’s maximum allowed charge. If you have a 100 amp alternator , not uncommon, on your car ,it could approach 8 times it’s maximum allowable charge rate. Like mentioned those batteries have been know to burn..... charging them at too high of rate, could be one of the causes.

Bones

10. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a 1 ga on my model A. Gotta be overkill.

11. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Bone, I consulted extensively with the staff at anti-gravity before purchasing the battery. They assured me that there would be no problem with my 105 amp GM alternator. I've had the anti gravity battery in there since 2017. So far no problem

Desoto291Hemi and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Some reading

Attached Files:

wvenfield likes this.
  13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

So you are actually going to believe a company that prints on there battery” 12 amps max charge” and then tells you 105 amps is “ ok”? Go for it man! Have fun!

Bones