Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is the easiest way to get a title?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratfink, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Slopok

Slopok

Yeah...and whatever you do, DONT drop the soap!:eek:

dirty old man likes this.
  2. gene-koning

gene-koning

There may be other states that will issue a title for your car, but that doesn't mean WI will accept the title without an inspection and a bond.

The WI bond process doesn't sound too hard, but I would send current pictures along with the "request for a bond".

I would rather buy a car with a bonded title then buy a car without a title. Gene

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. ratfink

ratfink

It is just an old car that has not been driven since the 60s.

4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I just went thru this for my single seat project. in the state of South Dakota you can get a bill of sale and a general affidavit. It took me quite some time but it worked out.

warhorseracing likes this.
  5. States have been getting wise to the paperwork shuffle from non-title states. Best to follow the rules. Wisconsin has made the process as easy as possible.

dirty old man, alanp561 and Thor1 like this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally, the local voice of reason.

7. 1pickup

1pickup

Common sense. It's my gift. Or, curse. Plus, I know how to use Google! ;)

alanp561 and winduptoy like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, either way. Jokers getting caught doing this the wrong way WILL reflect poorly on everyone.

alanp561, Hnstray and saltracer219 like this.
  9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also wondered about this because I built my roadster from a Brookeville body and had nothing other than a hand written bill of sale for the body. I did the research in my state, NC, and followed their process. Had to get a notarized statement of facts as to how I came into possession of the body and show documents for purchases for everything else I bought to assemble the car. I got 2 appraisals to establish it's value as a complete car for tax purposes. Had the DOT loss prevention guy from our county inspect it (no stolen parts) and assign a number to it. I then applied for title when I registered it. It did have to be a bonded title (to protect the state) but to me that is no big thing if you consider the alternative is not being able to do anything with your car. The bond stays in place for three years. Then you get a clear title. The states want your tax dollars. Figure out what their process is and follow it. Trying to save a few dollars here and there to work around their system is a waste of time and effort in my opinion.

10. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Some have mentioned applying for a lost title, or more accurately a duplicate or replacement title. Only the owner of record can apply for a "lost" title, not just any guy who happens to be in possession of the vehicle. Think about it, if you didn't lose the title, you can't get a replacement.

11. Oh that kind of title. I was gonna say in England you just pay the queen of you don't believe me just ask Sir Elton John. :rolleyes: :D

If you look on the SEAM sight there is a PDF that shows the titling requirements by state. You may find that getting a title is easier than you think.

12. Irvan

Irvan

depending on what whoever is going to trade for the car wants to do with it maybe you could take less for it and trade it without a title, Parts? Race car?

13. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Wisconsin rules are similar to Iowa's. That is how I got a title for my 38 Chevy, not all that expensive at the time (1970's) and didn't take more than a couple of months.

14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Wisconsins method is nothing but overdone bueracratic bullsh**. Another way to make things overly difficult.
    First thing I would do is go to a DMV office that is not the one you will be dealing with later. Take the VIN # and ask them if they show any record of ownership. You need to know if someone actually shows up on record as the owner, cause it is sure going to show up later after you go through the actual application process. Then you are on the hook for the fees and you can't do anything without that persons agreement. I'd want to know before I started the actual process. Then if you find an owner who is unco-operative, bill them for storage and put a lien against the car.
    Hopefully they would be co-operative and just sign the title over.

hotrodjack33 and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done a bonded title on 3 vehicles in NC, which is a picky state. It really wasn't that big of a deal and the inspector was pretty helpful. If you cut a corner, prepare yourself for the consequences.

dirty old man, alanp561 and GordonC like this.
  16. indyjps

indyjps

Ratfink, do you know the history on the car?
    Been off the road since 60's
    - in your family on your property?
    - bought it from someone you know?
    - you bought it from random person?

I dont know WI process, filing for lost or duplicate title is different than new/lost title. Bill of sale from someone/ somewhere goes a long way as well.

17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I did a lost title in California, easy. Had a cop look at the frame # done.

18. Here in Texas we don't have a DMV, per se. We have the Department of Public Safety, the DPS. It's mostly all about where driver's license business is handled but some paper shuffling is also done there and it tends to be fairly bureaucratic. We also have the county tax offices which are also agents for the state. This is where you go for annual registration stickers and license plates. They also do anything and everything needed regarding title transfers, etc. It's so much less bureaucratic because you are dealing with a county employee who thinks of themselves as a clerk whereas the state employees at the DPS are convinced that they are the next thing to a Texas Ranger.
    So, for my 'classic' truck title deal, someone dyslexic had entered mistakes on the out of state title I received with the vehicle. I merely explained the correction needed to the county clerk and received a new, corrected Texas title when it came in the mail. There were no VINs when the truck was originally built but it seems the "I.D." on the out of state title was some made up gobblygook that resembled no code numbers the manufacturer ever used. The clerk didn't blink an eye or question, or check any databases or hot sheets. It was only a 5-minute ordeal including paying Texas sales tax. I later sold the truck to yet another out of state buyer and he had to do the inspection process at his end but it went without a hitch, I was told. Oh yea, the truck had Chevy trim and a GMC title with no problems for anybody.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  19. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

michigan used to be friendly, if you know someone there willing to help you

20. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All this time I thought you were a Knight....pardon me Sir

Stogy likes this.
  21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Here in Oklahoma anyone can apply for lost title on a vehicle. It doesn’t mean that you will get it once it gets here! But you can usually find out who the last registered owner was or is. Sometimes that will help in getting a current title. Sometimes not.
    I just bought and sold an older vehicle last month that had an odd event associated with it and could be a loop hole that could help in some circumstances. The vehicle I bough actually belonged to my friends deceased father and the title was in his name. But the my friend has the same name as his father! So he produced his drivers license to the notary , it’s was the same name that what was on the title..... the title got transferred..... no problem!

Oklahoma titles have no other identities on the title other than name and address. I have never had a notary ask for address! And address can change.

Bones

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    ekimneirbo likes this.
  22. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

It Looks Like The Easiest Way To Get A Title Was Not Easy At All...Great Advice From This Group... 147.png

23. Boneyard51 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  24. Can you tell me what the SEAM site is?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. I think it's a typo, should be SEMA

dirty old man and 5window like this.
  26. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Wis bonded title sounds a lot like Minnesota’s if so it’s not a big deal to do it right. The cost of the bond goes by the value of the car, mine was a 100$

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This process is detailed and exact, for a reason.

If it were quick, and easy, many of your cars would go through an involuntary ownership change, never to return.

Trust me, as someone who has had his property go through an involuntary ownership change, you will not enjoy it.

Thor1 likes this.
  28. Nothing easy about it where I live, South Carolina is a PITA to get a title if you don't have one.

I have passed up a couple of cars that lacked a title. HRP

LOU WELLS and thecj3man like this.
  29. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The really easy way to get a title is to ask the soon-to-be previous owner for said title before the cash changes hands.

If that doesn't work, then one should keep walking and looking.

LOU WELLS, irishsteve, Thor1 and 2 others like this.