Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1955 Olds 98 CONVERTIBLE TOP INTERCHANGE QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sunnybob68, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Sunnybob68

Sunnybob68
    from Milano

Hi Folks, we have found a 1955 Olds 98 convertible here in Italy. Car needs to be restore and many parts went lost. Top frame and windshield mouldings are missing. We are looking for a part car, but they seems very rare. Would 55 Buick or Caddy frames and mouldings fit the Olds?
    Thank you.

2. Ahhh - Milano.....do you know any Brocchini's.....that's the city my great granpa left from to come to the USA.

The Olds 98 is on the big car chassis but not sure were the size comes in vrs the Buick or Caddy - there will someone on here that knows for sure - good luck !

3. Sunnybob68

Sunnybob68
    from Milano

Hi, sorry but I don't know any Brocchini.... :-(

4. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Does it look like this? 1955-oldsmobile-98-starfire-convertible-and-1955-olds-88-2-dr-hardtop-parts-car-1.jpg

5. scotts52

scotts52

Is that your car? I may be interested in some parts if it is and if you're parting it out

6. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Sorry, No...Found the pic online..I wondered what one looked like.

7. Holiday coupes - sedans and coverts are together on the windshield which Hollander is saying it is the only convertible series offered for 54-56. The Buick is the only exchange so I would think the Caddy is not an option. Pic of the interchange coming....

8. It's # 1016 - I used the windshield as a guess to the right top frame - no Hollander exchange for those
    20200421_140316.jpg

9. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Sunnybob, First off I have no definite answer but a suggestion, keep searching for the Olds 98 parts but also I think that the Buick and Caddy should fit so don't discount that if you run across one. You may have to get a little creative fabrication wise if you have the ability. Also I have a friend that has a 56 Olds 98 hdtp and I will ask him if he knows of any parts or similarities. I also have a friend that had 53 Buick Skylarks and is very knowledgeable I will ask him if he knows the answer to your question. Post a picture of what you have.

Ciao Pat

10. dan griffin

dan griffin

Buick special and century are the same body as a Olds 88-98. Dan

Hnstray likes this.
  11. Squablow

Squablow

Special and 88 share some panels with Buick 40/60 series, but I believe 98 is closer related to Buick 50/70 series, such as Super and Roadmaster. I would be very surprised to find out that any windshield or top mechanism parts from a Buick Special or Olds 88 would fit the 98.

belair and 1934coupe like this.
  12. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I believe Squablow is right on the money, Special and Century are a smaller size much akin to the 88. A 98 is a bigger car like Roadmaster.

Pat

13. Rckt98

Rckt98

I have a 56 98 convert (long term project) and a few years ago sold my 56 98 sport coupe.
    To the best of my knowledge the only interchangeable part with Buick is the actual windscreen. Cadillac are different.
    Good luck with it. I believe I have the only 98 convert in New Zealand so I imagine your parts finding dilemma won't be much different to mine.
    Russell.

14. duh.......

15. Actually ran a wrecking yard for years with about a 1000 cars - most from 1970 back. The old man liked to keep the big cars - as when it was all said and done - with the parts - they still weighted a ton !

16. Sunnybob68

Sunnybob68
    from Milano

Thank you for your answers and help, I really appreciate. I enclose some pics of the car we found, It is in very bad condition but the engine still runs. Many parts are missing because the previous owner decided to take it apart to paint it. He lost interest and lost most of the parts too . The best thing would be to find another '55 98 convertible as part car, but we can't find it till now. I had several people saying 98 olds should have similar body to bigger buicks. I was wondering if caddy parts would fit as they were all C body. I also found some ebay sales for caddy/buick parts, but as the price are quite high we would like to be sure they will fit. Here they are:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/54-55-56-C...:Buick&hash=item541aaa9266:g:tHoAAOSwrklU64wA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-55-56...onvertible-Windshield-Frame-Trim/114143988012

Ciao. Roberto

Attached Files:

17. dan griffin

dan griffin

Having been playing with Oldsmobiles since 1953 I have a passing knowledge of whats what about Oldsmobiles. Starting in 52 the long tail 98s had 4 inch longer wheelbase.This was done by moving the rear axle back 4 inches and different sheet matel.

ol

Sunnybob68, Hnstray and stillrunners like this.
  18. Rckt98

Rckt98

As I said in my previous post nothing much is interchangeable with Buick and Caddy.
    I think you will be very sorry if you start ordering those parts hoping they might fit.

stillrunners likes this.
  19. goldenidolcustoms

goldenidolcustoms
    from Pa.

I have a 54 cadillac top frame but the front header bow is missing.I beleive someone reproduces them.The rest of the frame is in very good condition since it's been stored away for 40 some years
    If you can use it let me know.I beleive the cad and the buick roadmaster are the same
    Thanks,Jack

Sunnybob68 and stillrunners like this.
  20. You might put a post over on the AACA forum in the Olds wanted section. Lots of Olds guys there. Have you tried PMing Owens Salvage? Bob is a long time H.A.M.B.er and has been a huge supporter of ours for a number of years. His salvage yard is literally 65 acres of heaven. Call him up at 800-798-2581. He has a listing in the Alliance Vendor section on the home page.

stillrunners likes this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

stillrunners likes this.
  22. Sunnybob68

Sunnybob68
    from Milano

Thank you for your support. The caddy top frame seller told me it doesn't fit Olds :( As the windshield is the same for both 88 and 98 (and buick special/century) could the top frame be the same too? I know the 98 is longer, but do you know where is the difference? Ciao. Roberto

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, the Buick Special (Series 40) and Century (Series 60) tops/roof are the same as Olds 88 & 98 1954 thru 1956. The difference in Olds 88 & 98 size is in their overall length.....not width and height. Passenger compartments are the same. Wheelbase is longer on 98 and the rear quarter panels as well. Top structures are shared.

GM had basically three body size series ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’. Typically general dimensions and inner structure , roof and some exterior parts were shared among the GM brands with the body series. The Buick Special/Century are ‘B’ bodies as are the Olds 88/98 in the period (1954/55/56).

Buick Super and Roadmaster and all Cadillac of that era were ‘C’ body vehicles.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Sunnybob68 and stillrunners like this.
  24. oldolds

oldolds

As there is no listing for convertible tops in Hollander I used 2dr hardtop roof for this information.It is # 373 Buick 54-46 model numbers 46r, 66r. Oldsmobile 54-56 2dr hardtop all. I would suspect the conv. top falls inline.

Sunnybob68, stillrunners and Hnstray like this.
  25. Squablow

Squablow

So '55 Olds 98 is an extended wheelbase B body shell? That's news to me. I recant my earlier (apparently incorrect) statement.

Hnstray likes this.
  26. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Just a quick note here, the "Holiday Sdn" is not a standard sedan. Holiday was the Oldsmobile term for hardtop in this case, so it means the #1016 windscreen is common across convertible, coupe, and four-door hardtop bodystyles.

Hnstray likes this.
  27. Correct - much like most 4 door hard tops - most front windshields are like - on two and four door hardtops along with the convertibles - the back glass on most all - is different - excluding the converts........don't get started on Chrysler's 1955/56........I will stop adding to this thread as there are more educated GM guys about.

Gotgas likes this.
  28. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

It's a 'C' body like Cadillac Series 62, Buick Roadmaster and Buick Super

29. Sunnybob68

Sunnybob68
    from Milano

Hi Ray, what about front fenders? Are they longer? And is trunk lid the same? Thank you so much. Roberto

30. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If by “It’s “ you are referring to the 1955 Olds 98 the OP is dealing with, you are mistaken. Over the decades, GM used all three body architecture in some brands, in other years only two, or even one. Around 1941/42 for example, Pontiac ,Olds and Buick were built on A, B and C body shells, depending on Series and body style. Post War Buick did not use A body, but Pontiac and Olds did as well as B body. The 1948/49/50 Olds 98 was a C body (‘50 C body was new design shell). In 1949/50/51 Olds built the 76 & 88 series on the A body shell but 1951 also introduced the Super 88, a B body car.

For 1954/55/56 Olds was limited to B body with a ‘stretch’ for the 98. If you look at the cowl/windshield and side body lines and compare it to Buick Super, Roadmaster and Cadillac (all series), the differences in B vs C body is apparent.

I read many of your posts and know you are very knowledgeable, but on this specific issue, I believe you are incorrect.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Sunnybob68 likes this.