Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Corvair box sector shaft up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by InDaShop, Apr 2, 2020.

1. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

I'm thinking of running a reversed Corvair steering box in a cross-steering configuration.

Rotating the sector shaft 90degrees from horizontal with the ground to vertical pointed up towards sky. That puts the sector shaft coming out the top of the box. And the Pitman arm horizontal to the ground and above the frame rail.

And check my thought process here. In non-crossover steering the Reversed Corvair pitman arm, if pointed down below the box, would pull the driverside tire back to make righthand turns via the draglink.

If I move the box forward of the engine and flip it on its side with the sector shaft now pointed toward the sky, and pitman towards the front of the car. When making a right hand turn, would swing the pitman towards the driverside and thus pull back on the passenger wheel via the draglink and accomplish the same right hand turn.

Does anyone see any issues to running the Corvair box in that orientation?
    Work would be accomplished correctly, right? What about the box itself, leaks, seals, any issues I'm not seeing for the 90 degree rotate up?

Like this?

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ground clearance comes to mind.

4. Will work fine. That's hot rodding at its finest!

InDaShop likes this.

5. X-cpe

X-cpe

Lack of lube on the sector shaft bushing. Maybe install a grease fitting. Why not run a non-reversed box and have the sector pointed down?

6. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Need the tierod & drag link above the frame. ;-)

Have discussed the sector shaft bearing with a couple folks as possible issue or non-issue.

Basically gotten 4 answers:
    1. It will be fine.
    2. It will fail and start leaking. (ok the oil would then have to go up against gravity to do so, but come on we've all seen it happen)
    3. Overfill it. I see this more a number two issue.
    4. Add about half the volume of the gearbox in grease.

I think it will be fine. going to run the grease though. We'll see, I'll get back to everyone once the thing is built and driving.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do what now?

Johnny Gee likes this.
  8. I have pulled alot of these boxes apart. I have never opened one up and found oil in them. What I have found is foul smelling grease. They have a unique nasty smell. Its turning low speed with a caged bearing on one end to set the pre load. I grease the parts then put alot of grease in the housing. Put it together. I have alot of street miles on mine. In the worst case scenario it would need to come apart and replace a three dollar bushing in a few years.

InDaShop likes this.
  9. I ran that very same box (Flaming River?) in my Model A, and it was packed with some red grease from the factory, no oil.

10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

My biggest confusion is how do you intend to connect the colum to the box with all that?

Why not a vega box in cross steer, more or less aligned as you were trying to in its natural state, and cheaper

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Boring sex life?

12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Theres a caged bearing on both ends and 20 odd ball bearings on the worm gear . J-D or similar " corn head grease" is the agreed best lubricant for these boxes , most Ag. implement retailers will have it or a farm store...( fleet farm , farm and fleet, tractor supply etc)

InDaShop likes this.
  13. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Steering shaft is in the exact same location/orientation (pointed at the firewall). Just imagine looking at the steering input where traditionally the sector shaft would be sticking out the side at the 9 o'clock orientation, but now it sticks out at the 12 o'clock orientation.
    I'm just clocking the output 90 degrees.

I'm okay with those that don't get what I'm doing or the application, but some of the old rodders know exactly what I'm up too, and that's cool as hell right there.

14. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I get the pointed at firewall and turning it, but youll have quite the severe angle going from your column into your box. or your arm will be going on a diagonal as it moves