Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Do you ever drink a beer , kick back and say one hot rod is enough?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Mar 17, 2020.

1. LOL I have always owned a bike since I bought my first when I was 14. I have owned a bike even when I did not own a car.

Which reminds me maybe I am being slightly dishonest here. One time in the '70s when I was rebuilding my bike I bought a '46 Ford coupe pretty cheap because it was not stylish (not a '70s style rod). I did have to put the engine and transmission back in it.

So the question becomes what is so dishonest about this? Well in 1985 I gave the car to my *Brother's wife, she had always driven the car more than I did. Well from what I have been told she has never changed the title to her name she just updates the tags when they need it. So to be entirely truthful I guess I do own more than one. :D :D :D

*not a biological relation.

High test 63, 41rodderz and lumpy 63 like this.
  2. I think about it, actually, I give it some hard thought when I write those insurance checks. Now, I haven't owned my '50 truck for all of the 70 years it's existed, but the fees for plates and registration it's cost over time would have paid for about $5250 worth of stop signs in my county. (Today's dollars.) And another $2450 of crosswalk stripes if it rang up extra fees for special vanity plates like it has now.
    But on another note, this thread has made me remember something my old dad used to say when he cracked open a cold one. Kicking back, after the first sip he would say, "At times like this, when I have a beer, I feel like a new man." Then he would quickly take a second sip and say, "Then the NEW man has to have a beer............".

INVISIBLEKID and 41rodderz like this.
  3. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

Just like beer,can't have just 1.

nunattax and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  4. Lowco

Lowco
    from Tulsa, OK

I don't know if 47 years old is considered older (I'm still 16 in my mind), but as I've gotten older I am down to 1 good solid all steel hot rod driver and a vintage motocross dirt bike project. I'll admit, I like this plateau however temporary it may be (you never know when a good deal may pop up).

I've learned for me that I have more good creative ideas than I have money to execute them, therefore I have decided to focus on my single hot rod and make what I've always wanted. Since money is limited, I could only dabble with my multiple projects before, so they never really came to my full vision.

My favorite thing to do is turn on some music, grab a beer (or 6) and focus on what I've got. Less has turned out to be more for me......but I still have a "vision" for every car I see!

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

As most teens, we did drink beer, but never at home. My brother and I did kick back many times and talked about other builds which eventually led to the 1940 Willys Coupe C/Gas build. At the time of teenage envy, there were opportunities to buy other hot rods. But, we had the 58 Chevy Impala and that was very satisfying if we kept it up in the stock car class and when that was over, start modifying it to go faster. If we had money back then, there probably would have been a couple of other hot rods sitting in our backyard to be modified or used as an alternate daily driver.
    upload_2020-3-28_4-53-14.png
    The 58 Impala took over the whole scene and effort from the brothers. Then when my brother’s life changed, he wandered away from hot rods and drag racing into the world of motorcycles and surfing. So, I was the new owner of two cars, a Flathead powered, 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery and the pristine 58 Impala. Each car had its place and sometimes it crossed over with a few chuckles. If I could have built the 40 Sedan Delivery as a powerful hot rod that it once was, then it would have been a one car teenage scene. But as all thing depended on money, it stayed a cool, reliable Flathead powered, beach cruiser and sometimes date mobile to the surf movies all over So Cal.
    upload_2020-3-28_4-54-27.png
    So, yes, if I only had the 58 Impala and no interest in surfing, it was plenty to have the fastest car in town, a great reliable daily driver to high school. Also, to be able to modify the car when money suddenly appeared. There was no envy for other hot rods or cruisers. It was all Impala and what I could do with it to keep the flame going.

One car was enough and we did kick back with our friends and have a Cherry Coke/gravy/fries combo as many times as we could in Bixby Knolls. Most of our teenage friends had enough to worry about with one car or hot rod. Upkeep, gas money, adding new paint, wheels, upholstery, were all part of teenage upgrades to the ordinary street car in our So Cal neighborhoods. So there was no one we knew that had more than one car…(except me, my Impala and the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery.) Each served a definite purpose and the upkeep was not that great that I could not handle.

Jnaki
    upload_2020-3-28_4-56-4.png
    If we did not have the accident, our lives would have been a little different. My brother and I have talked about it endlessly to many different scenarios. Multiple cars, hot rods, trucks, sedan deliveries, expanding our little speed shop business, all would have been a major part of our lives. His success with buying and selling cars and parts was a beginning and that could have been in our future. Then after high school, life intervened and it moved on in many interesting ways, all the way to today.

Ron Funkhouser and 41rodderz like this.
  6. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Yep

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

7. 11 years ago I came to the startling realization I can only afford one project at a time. Also, I only have room and time for 1 project. Felt like a weight had been lifted off me. Now, I'm free to spend what I like on my project and it's always stored in my [tiny] garage, not under a tarp in my driveway or back yard. Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, what a liberating feeling.
    It also meant I could go to to the very top of my car-bucket list. The end result is my avatar.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Tim, Desoto291Hemi and 41rodderz like this.
  8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. wvenfield

wvenfield

In the immortal words of Meatloaf (Jim Steinman actually). Two out of three aint bad.

10. If I only had one it'd be a hell of a good one, I could spend another 3 times the amount of money and time on it than I already do.
    After this little jaunt today I can think of one less I'd like to keep...ha ha ha

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not yet but one running and driving and going places 48 Chev pickup is starting to sound better than four unfinished projects.

41rodderz likes this.
  12. I quit drinking a while ago. I was setting to many records. So I guess the answer is no.

ffr1222k and mgtstumpy like this.
  13. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

Right now I'm down to one. Its a rust free car thats had a recent frame off restoration with all the goodies. The engine had less then 400 miles on it. It doesn't need a thing. Completely happy with the best driving car I've ever had. My last project. HYq2SbttQgeNAfh%02YAZQ.jpg

15. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Drink a beer...check. Kick back...check. One Hot Rod...no way.

16. 41woodie

41woodie

No, but my wife has said that exact thing several times

34andy likes this.
  17. A Boner

A Boner

The bare minimum for me would be one and a half.
    One to drive, and a project to be working on.

nunattax likes this.
  18. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

No. The more the merrier. For now.

19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Down to two-kinda on the hunt for another.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

21. v8flat44

v8flat44

One is enough TROUBLE....nuff said.....

41rodderz likes this.
  22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Once I finish my 46 Olds, that's it for me. Way too many other things in life that I want to do before I get too old.
    garage.jpg
    20170409_144708.jpg

nunattax and 41rodderz like this.
  23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Have three and one is my daily driver. 2nd one is finished and gets driven regularly if the weather cooperates. The 3rd was sold a year ago to fund the new 3rd that is getting close, and hopefully will be driving this summer.

41rodderz and mgtstumpy like this.
  24. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, I kick back in the garage, have a few beers and just keep planning on building more.

Papas32 likes this.
  25. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

One?! I can't imagine how. I was thinking recently about pairing it down to a dozen. But it would be so hard to decide what to get rid of.

Papas32 likes this.
  26. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Guess I' getting old, now down to one, but not as beer is concerned !

nunattax and 41rodderz like this.
  27. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

ONE BEER IS NOT ENOUGH THE MORE I DRINK THE MORE I WANT

ffr1222k likes this.
  28. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

@ 75 yo 1 is all I need. I have enjoyed it for the last 22 yrs. I thank the good Lord for all the fun miles I have had with it.....…….

41rodderz likes this.
  29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I need a 12 step program for buying parts:D

30. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Post # 97.....I thought enuff was enuff...then the buy bug bit and I bought again...man I need a brewski and time to think this over!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.