Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 FORD floorboards

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seabeecmc, Apr 19, 2020.

1. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a '32 five window. It's powered by a 8BA with a '39 box. I want to use stock style wooden floorboards. Is anyone aware of a supplier of hot rod compatible floorboards? The HAMBer who was making them no longer does. Any help is appreciated, Ron

2. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Ron, I just looked in the Mac's V8 catalog and they have wooden passenger car floorboards that are available. These floorboards would fit original 1932 Fords. Kind of pricey though, $220 for a pair of floorboards that are made out of plywood. You may just end up fabricating your own floorboards.

WB69 likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Hot rod compatible? You mean cut up different than stock? How about you go to the lumber yard, buy some plywood, and make them to your own pattern? A skill saw and a jig saw, a couple drill bits, maybe some T nuts for the tin cover screws if you want to get fancy. Should be an afternoon job.

4. town sedan

town sedan

If I'm remembering right the board that dlw1932 made were "relieved" on the underside. Think this was for clearance for the top of the transmission case? Wish I'd bought a set when he was making them.
    -Dave

seabeecmc likes this.

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Can't you apply some chalk to the trans cover, lay th floorboard over th trans while applying a little pressure, remove the floorboard and see which area needs relieving. Take a router and go to it...

6. town sedan

town sedan

I was thinking something more like Dykem blue and a hand chisel since I don't own a table saw. Also think dlw1932 used marine grade plywood on the one's he use to sell.
    -Dave

seabeecmc likes this.
  7. The dimensions are out there somewhere. Try asking on fordbarn.

Charlie Stephens

Flathead Dave and town sedan like this.
  8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plywood could be ok if you are going to carpet it. If not you really need to stick to some traditional timber like oak. We can only get an ugly new looking plywood down under.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    cadillacoffin likes this.
  9. The stocker repros are relieved on the bottom to fit down in the recesses of the body sills and cross members. I filled the battery hole and cut it out on the passenger side.
    But I'm running early Ford trans, so had to trim out a little to clear the shifter tower.
    Probably easier to make your own for any other setup.

seabeecmc and town sedan like this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

Traditional IS plywood. Henry used plywood.

11. hightower611

hightower611

I have the plans as published many years ago. It is in a PDF format. If you need the plans please PM me and I can email them to you.

town sedan likes this.
  12. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I certainly appreciate the offer. I have the plans that I got off FORD BARN.
    DLW1932 used to sell hot rod specific wooden floorboards here on the HAMB.
    I was hoping to find a set of his or perhaps find if someone else had continued with his design. Ron

13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 32 pickup still has the flat ply floor we inherited .It keeps our feet off the road.
    Slight tunnel in our green 32 coupe to clear the T5 and the F1 pedals . Not fancy but functional AFA01059-2241-4A28-86B1-7B0CD1417625.jpeg C04A80A3-A18D-4517-9974-3C30994EE240.jpeg

ramblin dan and town sedan like this.
  14. dlw1932

dlw1932
    from Nebraska

The boards I was making were made exactly like original except I deleted the oiler door hole required for an original 32 transmission and the original style carpet snap barrels (really hard to find). I had a friend CNC them so they were really precise and made from 13-ply marine Baltic birch plywood. They are actually quite complex and would be rather difficult to reproduce with hand tools, as they have several recesses on the underside for rivets, subrail laps, and the bellhousing. We quit doing them because they were a ton of work, and we had guys trying to negotiate our $185/set price. Maybe we'll do another run sometime if there is enough interest. Attached are some photos of the boards in my coupe. They are stout! IMG_2193.JPG IMG_2196.JPG

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I like how you have a right hand drive as well as a left hand drive. One for when you're a good boy and one for when you're a rebel!

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  16. Here are the plans to make your own:

Attached Files:

Beanscoot and Ed Angel like this.
  17. Fred Staal

Fred Staal

I made my own and they are a complete pain, as is even locating good plywood! $185 for a set is/was a DEAL. If Dlw1932 decides to make more, even at a higher price, I think he will have plenty of customers...

dlw1932 likes this.
  18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Wood is for boats 5DFBADFC-CBFF-43C0-A572-1DA6046B1384.jpeg

19. Fogger

Fogger

And real hot rods have three pedals, lol

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

And no stereos

V8-m, Fogger and Fordors like this.
  21. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

I made a set out of plywood for my Deuce 5w ,but they squeaked terribly. No matter what I did i couldnt get them to stop. Then I bought a steel set made by United Pacific. Ahh! peace and quiet.

22. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Made a set out of plywood years ago and they're still going strong. Didn't seem too difficult at the time. But, I like working with wood.

23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've made several sets of 32 plywood floors. Not as nice as dlwl's but they turned out good and are still going in several cars after years. Always started with a cardboard pattern.

24. If try and get some pictures taken and posted. Can anyone tell me if the roadster floor boards, trans cover, pedal covers and seal I have are original '32, please?
    Everything looks too worn, pitted, and too many layers of paint to be recent re-productions.
    Thanks

25. Here are the floor board pictures

Attached Files:

26. Here are the floor board pictures

Attached Files:

dlw1932 likes this.
  27. RockyMtnWay

RockyMtnWay

I’ve only made a few sets of plywood floorboards for 32s and although the general shape was easy enough, using a router (cause that’s what I have) to make all the relief areas was a royal PITA. The piece under the seat is really easy, but the front floor and kick up took lotsa time. $185 a set is cheap once you break down materials and labor in todays world.
    Note: I used marine grade plywood once, but the last two sets I just used regular plywood and treated it before some liberal coats of sealant/paint. I actually prefer the wood over steel for look and insulation (heat and sound).

dlw1932 likes this.
  28. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks for sharing the plans. Now I’ll have to decide to make my own or buy a set if they are going to be made again.