Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What Do Guys Use for Long Term Overhead Car Storage Structure?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by verno30, Feb 8, 2020.

1. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm missing something. Project is done. Its a little late for plans.

I see you were a Maintenance Supervisor. I am too.

This is professionally built and engineered pallet racking so I am confident in the application.

As for architect's, my professional experience is limited with little to none of it being good. Not meant to offend anyone, just what I have learned in my 21 years in the industry.

I have no insurance concerns.

Sent from my SM-G981U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray and 1934coupe like this.
  2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

There's always someone who will mention "permit, insurance" etc. Like Ray said in the beginning pallet rack is the way to go. I have it, Big Al's Toybox uses is and every shop I know use it. The beautiful thing about it is it's adjustability and being able to be underneath it with your tools or lathe like you suggest.

Pat

Posted before I read 2nd page. Looks good

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    The37Kid, Hnstray and verno30 like this.
  3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Verno, Looks good.
    Marcus...

verno30 likes this.
  4. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  5. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just re-read this thread.

The other common theme was cost.

I have $150 total ($75/ea) in both sets of pallet racking.

Thanks to our friends at OSHA, any damage means this pallet racking is only worth scrap.

My only cost was the wooden filler used to create the shelf.

Sent from my SM-G981U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lewk likes this.
  6. clem

clem

My trade was Archtectural designer, with structural and civil engineering back ground.
    None of my work has ever failed and all has survived severe ( sometimes 7+) earthquakes.
    Whilst not being offended, it is up to you whether you choose to listen or not to the advice that you asked for.
    For me - cost never comes into question when safety, ie, human life is involved.

There are a lot of similar threads on here , where everyone has an opinion, yet all too often , are actually not qualified to make an informed decision.

I won’t start on about why our insurance premiums are so high......

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  7. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Without getting into a pissing match, allow me to retort.

First off, we don't have earthquakes in Iowa. Nothing here is designed for them. If we had an earthquake of any consequence, everything would be rubble. My Chevy, tools, building, etc would be the least of anyone's concern. Building the world's strongest car storage system in Dubuque, IA will only prove I have too much time, too much money, and WAYYYY TOO MUCH FEAR of something that will not happen.

You can build a bookcase out of concrete. It doesn't make it better, it just makes it heavier. Period.

I am more than qualified to make decisions on facilities, structures, and equipment. My career has lead me down a very interesting path where I deal with, among other things, Punch presses up to 800 ton capacity on a daily basis. Rigging those machines, where the crown may weight in excess of 80,000# alone, allows me to have a very confident, yet defined, mindset that an 1,800# car is really not a concern.

Truthfully, the original question was what people use to store these cars, not who to get involved.

Safety is paramount in all aspects of my life so I don't want anyone to take the opposite from this thread. In actuality, I was hoping for this thread to showcase some alternative methods of overhead storage. For those who did, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Insurance premiums are high because of lawyers and lawsuit happy people, not hot-rodders working in their garage. I agree, we do live in a world where everything has to be dummy-proof. I, however, believe that is for the 1% and not the other 99%.

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very well put, Verno30 !

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

If we knew you had that staircase the Chevy could sit on the floor and the machinery could go upstairs on the new dance floor:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Bob

10. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Mezzanines are your space saving friend if you have the height

Attached Files:

verno30 likes this.
  11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

How about storing cars the way they used to ship Vegas on railroad cars, standing on end, nose down? They called it Vert-E-Pac, and it was effective at cramming a lot of them on the railroad cars. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

tractorguy likes this.
  12. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Looks good to me, but I am curious how you got the car up onto the rack? My first thought was you used the four post lift, but the rack is taller than that.

13. Yep!! 79A9ABA0-1DE5-401A-874B-8A282A78D559.jpeg F759D2B6-9653-4078-80FA-0A2E6EFEB311.jpeg 9B224EBD-B54A-4410-8617-5ED3D86CF4E6.jpeg A0FA5576-822E-43F2-A976-0C5295192D57.jpeg 12EC9966-B1F1-4147-A54A-8BB0C846F22E.jpeg

Attached Files:

verno30 and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  14. The premise is correct and without question , but that ratio ,,,

ahhhhh I think it’s more towards 50/50 and getting worse daily. It’s different

15. When I moved into my building 15 years ago it was just a shell, but did have a mezzanine above the center section. It measures 40x26x12 high approx. I moved the staircase to the center when I added the inner walls & also sealed it off from the main part of the building, so it is not heated, just storage. All my extra engines, trans, body parts, wheels/tires, etc are up there. In the picture, the small section that is still drywall (upper right center of pic) is a sliding door. When ever I want something big in or out I run the forks of the forklift in that opening.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

IMG_20200328_091217840 (800x450).jpg

Hnstray and verno30 like this.
  16. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was only a 4 1/2" to 5" difference in height with the rack being taller. We made some ramps out of 2x12. 4 guys plus me running the steering moved it in 1 shot.

Hoist has casters so I was able to push it right up to the racking.

Hnstray likes this.
  17. jimvette59

jimvette59

That's really good to hear. I didn't mean to offend any body but just covering some bases. I am glad you're preserving part of your family's history. Stay safe Jim T.

verno30 likes this.
  18. goldmountain

goldmountain

Now that we see where to stash the car, where do you store the forklift?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha Ha. I thought about a forklift but I used the hoist to get the car on the racking.

I live about a mile from where I work. We have a 15,000# forklift with some 6' forks on it. I thought about bringing it home to load the Chevy but the hoist worked just fine.