Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Have a quick question about seam sealer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Overdrivex, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Overdrivex

Overdrivex

Is seam sealer meant to only be used inside of a car, or can seam sealer be used on the outside as well? I would like to use it to seal up the edge of a quarter panel at the bottom of the wheel well, but I'm worried about if it will hold up. Looking at the 3M Urethane Seam Sealer which says its for interior/exterior work or the Eastwood Seam Sealer in a caulking cartridge.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  2. Seam sealer can be used inside and out

CobraJoe likes this.
  3. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have seen people use it on leaky windshields. so yeah go ahead.

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I personally like 3m two part seam sealer, it's expensive but it's the best....

5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

A two part seam sealer is the best, as said it’s expensive but will do a much better job

CobraJoe likes this.
  6. Overdrivex

Overdrivex

I'll get some of the two part seam sealer then since the consensus is that it will do a better job. Thanks!

7. Make sure ya ask for the inexpensive gun too..PN 08571

8. Crest brand seam sealer is amazing. I highly recommend it. Used by Mercedes body shops I know of.

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

I guess you meant that as humor. On ebay that gun is $60 to $100

10. Yep...most people buying that and using it are earning a living using...

s55mercury66 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

TIGER SEAL is great stuff reasonably priced.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  12. Dirk35

Dirk35

Like the other guys said, seam sealer is for both inside and outside. Go look in the back of any pickup bed after about 1960, you'll see the seam sealer and how the factory applied it. Then it just gets painted over.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  13. Overdrivex

Overdrivex

Thanks guys! Looks like I should be okay to use the seam sealer then. So I should use two part sealer, as mentioned before for best results then?

14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

What does the label say?

15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Two words: Expanding Foam :D

16. Overdrivex

Overdrivex

I've got another quick question. I found something called 3M Cavity Wax Plus. I was thinking of applying that after using some Eastwood Internal Frame Coating. My question is, how often will I have to recoat with the cavity wax to keep everything protected? Would you guys recommend Fluid Film instead of the 3M stuff?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  17. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Cavity Wax is an oily/wax mixture that is meant for inner panels and panels that are boxed in with little access. It works well. Once you apply it, it's there. Good stuff.

Bugguts likes this.
  18. Overdrivex

Overdrivex

Thanks! Is there a specific type/brand you recommend? Seems like a lot of people recommend Fluid Film based on my research.

19. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

It can be used both inside and out. Some hold their shape, and some flow more. Also when buying it, consider if it can go over bare metal, some are made to go over sanded primer. I work in a body shop, there are 1000 different seam sealers depending on what you want to do.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Overdrivex

Overdrivex

Awesome thanks! Do you have any experience on how Fluid Film reacts with seam sealer? I just don't want to apply fluid film and then have my seam sealer coming right off.

21. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Isn't Fluid film a corrosion protection / cavity wax type product? I would assume it it's already applied, you will need to thoroughly clean and degrease the area before applying seam sealer.

22. We use the 3m 8852 cavity wax at work. I apply it any time a door is opened...new outer panel, repairs to existing panel, or salvage door shell. Once it's in there, it's in there

I prefer two-part sealers, they're epoxy based.

Urethane sometimes get used in visible areas where it is factory-applied after e-coating, typically in late-model import car trunk areas.

23. Overdrivex

Overdrivex

I would probably apply the seam sealer before using Fluid Film. My concern is once the Fluid Film is on, I'm sure that some may come in contact with the seam sealer, so I just don't want it to loosen the sealer.

Awesome thanks! I looked at the 3M cavity wax, but it is quite a bit more expensive. Do you think its worth the extra cost over fluid film? I would be buying the aerosol cans if that makes any kind of a difference.

Are two-part sealers easy to work with? My worry is that one of the seams I have to seal I will be applying it vertically...so I just don't want it to be hard to work with and dripping all over me.

24. make sure your seal sealer or whatever you decide to use is 100% done drying and hard before applying paint. You don't want to have something soft and kicking under primer.

25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

For cavity wax I've used WaxOyl, I believe it's made in Britain. Excellent product and reasonable price, especially factoring in th epeace of mind it brings.

26. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Waxoyl, fluid film, cavity wax, Inner panel protector are all calcium sulfonate coatings. This is the active ingredient in undercoating. A lot of these coatings use waxes and oils. Principal behind this type of calcium sulfonate are millions of platelets that block the oxygen. Are all good products. I usually in cavities I treat first with Phosphoric Acid then the Permanent Rust Sealer primer and then I'll spray the calcium sulfonate in. As Remo says Why take a chance?

32SEDAN likes this.
  27. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Couple of important things to remember. Seam sealer should be used BEFORE cavity wax. 3m brand is pricey $$, but for the most part, 3m has quality products. Other brands can be fine, if they are equivalent to more costly products. In your situation, if I understand correctly, the product will be used on your own car, and you hopefully don't want to have product issues. That said, maybe spending a bit more $$ (not like this is an ongoing expense for your project) would be more in line with your long term goal of preserving the car as best you can. JMHO, and good luck.

The37Kid likes this.
  28. Overdrivex

Overdrivex

Thank you everyone! I will probably use the 3M products then since I want this done right and don't want to have issues down the road.

29. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

.great tack no connection to u pol

30. Overdrivex

Overdrivex

That looks pretty good! However, most here seem to recommend a 2 part sealer rather than one that comes in a tube that you use in a caulk gun.

Another note, after applying seam sealer on top of epoxy primer, can I put high build primer over it before painting? My process was going to be:

1.) Epoxy Primer
    2.) Body Filler
    3.) Seam Sealer (is this when I should seam seal?)
    4.) Epoxy Primer
    5.) High Build Primer
    6.) Topcoat
    7.) Clearcoat
    8.) Cavity Wax/Fluid Film etc.