Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this SBC camshaft ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by USMC4LIFE, Apr 19, 2020.

1. USMC4LIFE

USMC4LIFE
    from Eastern NC

Pulled this cam from a 355 SBC that I got really cheap. Had a double roller timing chain and new cam bearings, however the cam is worn nearly flat on most lobes. I would like to know the manufacture and specs of the cam. Someone out there has to know what the heck this is....

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  2. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Cast in parts just identify the camshaft blank, CWC makes camshaft blanks for the OEM(be it Chevy, Caterpillar or Cadillac) D4 and 1579 are most likely just generic identifiers of what it is for(SBC).

U
    11-41-94

Those will be the numbers you will need to search for.

porknbeaner and loudbang like this.
  3. Reminds me of a factory cam .

Ooh - Rahh .

Tommy

loudbang, jimmy six and USMC4LIFE like this.
  4. Did you have to drive the lifters out with a punch?

Truckdoctor Andy and loudbang like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Figuring out what a cam like that is, can be very challenging. There are a few companies that make a lot of cams for different resellers, and they use internal number systems that are not listed in catalogs anywhere.

But with the lobes the way they are, I can easily tell you that it's just a piece of scrap iron (which you already know).

Is there some particular reason you want to know what the grind was?

loudbang and USMC4LIFE like this.
  6. USMC4LIFE

USMC4LIFE
    from Eastern NC

Lifters were already removed.

loudbang likes this.
  7. USMC4LIFE

USMC4LIFE
    from Eastern NC

Just to figure out what they were "attempting" to build. I can tell the engine has minimal run time.

loudbang likes this.
  8. USMC4LIFE

USMC4LIFE
    from Eastern NC

OOH-RAH!

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

10. squirrel

squirrel

that guy never got an answer to his question.

11. As said before, the camshaft is scrap. That being said, if it s a stock camshaft look behind the number four main journal, if there is two round dots it is a two barrel with small heads..a long diamond is a four barrel with power pack heads. These will work with either solid or hyd. lifters. I think the one with a square is for hyd . Lifters only. It's many years ,so I'm not sure about the last one.

loudbang likes this.
  12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Read your profile. I see you have an OT car listed. I happen to have a brass belt buckle of that car, Z-28. I've been wanting to give it to someone who could use it, FREE, and I'll handle the shipping too since you're serving. Just send me your name/address in a PM, and I'll take care of it. Can't help with the camshaft, but THANKS for YOUR SERVICE!!! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. USMC4LIFE

USMC4LIFE
    from Eastern NC

14. squirrel

squirrel

It's probably a question you won't find the answer to.....time to move on, pick the cam that you need to work with the rest of the engine and the car, be sure to get the appropriate valve springs, and check all clearances as you would when installing a different cam in any engine.

I've long ago given up trying to understand the things that other people do.

Truckdoctor Andy and town sedan like this.
  15. Well we can tell one thing for sure from these numbers. It was manufactured in the Nov. 41, 1994.

I also thought of some other goofy chit to say but I am really just bumping this one to the top. ;)

16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

sounds like a point to the right direction if he’s sure it’s a summit brand

17. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Clearly, it is the 11th day of the 41st week of '94. I think it was a Wednesday.

porknbeaner likes this.