Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3 speed Borg Warner overdrive no reverse.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Danger, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Danger

Danger

Had my 3 speed and overdrive rebuilt put it in the car and no reverse! I have 1-2-3 but nothing for reverse.
    Things I’ve checked-
    Solenoid is in correct
    Solenoid is not engaged
    Nothing changes with control lever in or out
    Hard to tell on stands but in gear at speed and when the relay and solenoid fire off it doesn’t seem to switch into OD. Like it’s already in overdrive?
    Car will roll backwards if not in gear
    Car will roll backward if running and in reverse, clutch out. But not when the motor is shut off. Like is coming out of gear when the motor is spinning.
    I know it’s in R gear, disconnected lineage and pull the lever manually.

Things to note

I have bypassed the reverse lockout switch.
    Transmission was working fine before rebuild just needed a new pinion gear.

On removal the reverse lock out switch broke off but I’m not using it so I don’t think that could be the issue.

Thanks I’m advance guys!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. squirrel

squirrel

so you don't have reverse lockout working, and you're wondering why reverse lockout doesn't work? Hmmm....

sunbeam and olscrounger like this.
  3. Danger

Danger

It’s a relay so that OD can’t be engaged while in reverse.

4. Danger

Danger

IMG_8057.JPG

5. :D:D

6. squirrel

squirrel

Oh, I thought you were talking about the mechanical lockout rod.

7. 62rebel

62rebel

Well, be glad you can't get reverse to work with O/D engaged. Turn a nice piece into junk in seconds.

j-jock likes this.
  8. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the reverse lockout switch is redundant and was discontinued after 1950. there is a mechanical lockout for reverse--a shift rail that goes into the 3-speed gearbox and is actuated by the reverse shift lever, locking out the overdrive. could that be the problem? i rebuilt mine years ago and was unable to find a replacement switch, so i just fabbed a cover and gasket for the o.d. and don't use it. if you remove the shift cover, you'll see the shift rail

9. donsz

donsz

I've had this problem, and I don't remember exactly what I did to fix it, but I "think" (I know you said the solenoid is installed correctly, so I may have mis-remembered this):
    - What I think I did, the solenoid shaft has a sort of "knob" on the end and it needs to engage a mechanism
    (see illustration) upon install (I think a twist and turn will get it done before bolting it in).
    don
    pawl.jpg

Cosmo49, dan c, Baumi and 1 other person like this.
  10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

You shouldn't be trying to reverse with the OD cable pushed in. Try putting the cable with the arm secured in the forward position hold it with mechs wire or zip tie. Also assure your reverse selector is moving it's full travel.

11. Danger

Danger

I did the check to make sure it was in properly but I may remove and reinstall just to be sure.
    IMG_8057.JPG

12. Danger

Danger

It should work whether the OD cable is pushed in or out as long as the OD solenoid is not engaged. I did remove the linkage and shifted it into reverse by hand, it’s going into reverse I can hear the gears catch.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  13. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I worked on a lot of R-10 and R-11 o/d's but it's been many years. IIRC we used to jump the solenoid to extend it, get it into and rotated to the pawl, and when you disconnected the power it pulled in and you knew you had it right. Hopefully someone with more recent experience or a better memory will chime in.

dan c and Danger like this.
  14. Danger

Danger

I’ll try that later today and see if anything changes. Thanks.

15. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi! I just happen to have my transmission apart for a rebuild. I just bench tested what could make your trans stay out of reverse, and my best bet would be the 1st and reverse sliding gear does not engage into the reverse idler gear (fixed inside the trans housing , passenger side).Maybe your shift linkage is binding or misadjusted... If you have your car on jack stands, you could try and remove the shifter cover and see if you can push the sliding gear further back to engage with the reverse idler gear.

IMG_0061.JPG IMG_0071.JPG
    This is the 1st and reverse sliding gear IMG_0070.JPG
    the reverse idler is on the far end of the housing
    IMG_0067.JPG

Danger likes this.
  16. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that's what the guy at 5th avenue says.

17. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i'm going by the ford service manual, which says shifts into reverse with od knob "in" is o.k.

Baumi likes this.
  18. Danger

Danger

Thanks for the pictures, I pulled the transmission out today and dropped it off at the transmission guys shop. Haven’t tore it apart but it seems like the manual control shift rail is not working right, like not connected or turned so that it’s not in the grove. Should have it figured out tomorrow and I’ll return and report what we found. Thanks for the info guys!

Baumi likes this.
  19. Danger

Danger

OK so after tearing the transmission apart we found that the manual control fork was not in the correct slot. So the overdrive rod could not move forward or backward. This made sense because when I would push or pull the overdrive rod in or out it felt like nothing was moving inside the transmission. Got the fork put in the correct position all buttoned up works like a champ. Hope this helps somebody later on down the road. If you move the overdrive on the transmission by hand the lever should have spring to it FYI. Thanks for all the input guys.

bondojunkie, Baumi and squirrel like this.
  20. Danger

Danger

[​IMG]

21. Danger

Danger

[​IMG]

bondojunkie and CME1 like this.
  22. jaracer

jaracer

That makes sense. When you pull the OD cable out, it locks the sun gear into the planet carries which in effect makes the OD unit act like a solid output shaft. The reason you can't backup without this happening is that the overrunning clutch simply overruns when you turn the trans output counter clockwise. The reverse rod is suppose to move the sun gear into the planet carrier when you put it in reverse with the OD cable pushed in. That's what was happening in your trans.

Danger and Baumi like this.
  23. donsz

donsz

Thanks for providing your remediation, always enjoy seeing what the solution turned out to be.
    don

Danger likes this.