Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage It found me (Retirement)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Congrats. Getting a severance at 65 is quite a bonus as 65 (at least here) is the typical retirement age and any layoff north of that usually means no severance.
    Stay busy with your projects and stay in shape!

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That’s why I was fortunate enough to be covered by a collective agreement throughout my teaching career that spelled out the amount of severance paid per year of service.

Involuntary downsizing redundancy got severance pay.

Under normal circumstances retiring would not get you a severance package.

This time around they were motivated to offer voluntary departure so accepting it worked out perfectly for me.

We don’t have a mandatory retirement age here so I could have kept working longer.

I’m glad that I didn’t.
    It’s all about the timing :cool::D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  3. Butch M

Butch M

Congrats I just retired in January from UPS its been great so far Good luck

Deuces, loudbang and Blue One like this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent surprise development. Happy for you. And you had the winter to finish up some last things on your rpu and you're almost finished. Perfect timing. Gonna be a good year.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, Blue One and loudbang like this.
  5. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

....plus you will be doing things YOU want to do.

Deuces, Blue One and loudbang like this.
  6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You worked your ass off your whole life. You worked your ass off to build this hot rod.
    I'd say you deserve it.
    I hope you enjoy it more than you ever imagined you would.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Stepped away from the full time gig at 32. Everything was paid and providing a good income so I figured I'd better go everywhere and see everything I wanted to while I was young and fit enough to do it. Standby flights were cheap, no bullshit at the airports like there is now, so you pretty much could go anywhere at the drop of a hat. When I got tired of airplane food, I ditched the suitcase and passport for a Bridgeport and a welder and settled down in my shop. Five years ago I grabbed SS at 62 cuz I figured they owed me and I wasn't getting any younger.

Doing nothing isn't that easy either. When you're doing nothing, how do you know when you're done?

03GMCSonoma, Deuces, Blues4U and 4 others like this.
  8. Congratulations on retirement and also being able to get the severance package. Much nicer going out the door with a smile on your face! Enjoy your new phase of life.

loudbang, Deuces and Blue One like this.
  9. spanners

spanners

The best part of retirement for me was after getting up to an alarm to go to work from when I was 14 year old, no alarm clock. The second was more time in the shed and a bonus was losing weight because I was more active, not sitting in a truck all day and half the night.

10. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be 65 in October and will pull the plug then and just work part time. Can't wait, I've got enough to keep me busy for longer than I'll probably be around.

11. Congrats!
    I always thought it odd that people got a nice watch when they retired. I’ve been retired for over a year now and rarely look at a clock. Hell most times I can’t tell you what day it is. Staying busy and enjoying life.

12. Larry,
    You can come out and teach me how to properly use my TIG if you get bored!
    Congrats on the retirement . You’ll never be busier. lol

13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Congrats on your retirement. I retired in 2009 from Homeland security. They told me I could go at 59 1/2 . I gave them 4 extra days because it gave me an extra month on my retirement.
    now I get to work on what I want to not what came in the shop.

dirty old man, loudbang and Blue One like this.
  14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Congrats! I hope you have as much fun as I have had., and that is a lot!

15. Congratulations Larry
    Welcome to the best job you ever had. 8 years and counting for me

16. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on retiring. I retired two years ago and there never seems to be time enough to work on my toys.
    Looking back I wish I had retires a year or two earlier but drawing SS and working full time made me a bit greedy and I really enjoyed the young folks I worked with. I don't miss the grind but I miss those young folk
    The only piece of advice I am going to give is lock those damned credit cards up and save up the money to pay for something including trips even though you may use the card rather than cash and then pay the full tab off on the card.
    One of my long time friends (mom held me over his crib to show me the baby when I was one) is a world class welder who is pretty well retired but takes on specialty jobs that he can do in his shop that pay real well. He actually is busier than he wants to be.

X-cpe, loudbang, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

5 more years for me....:rolleyes:

Congrats!..... ;)

Blue One, jim snow and loudbang like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Retirement walks into the bar.

everyone stops.

you could hear a pin drop.

where is that asshole?!

entire bar turns and points at the back of the bar towards you.

At least that’s how I see it happening lol.

Congrats ;)

20. mnjeff

mnjeff

Just starting year three after 42 years in a brewery...Would rather move under a bridge and eat Alpo than go back to work! Congratulations, you are gonna love it, and remember that you have earned and deserve this....

21. I will be retired 4 years this June. No idea where the time has gone. As to the "stay busy" comment? Amen. Other than a daily nap, my schedule is full and I have no idea how anything got done around the house and shop while I was working. You are blessed.

Blue One and TomT like this.
  22. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

I'm retired too. I was actually downsized last summer about 3 months before I turned 65. I intended to work until 66, but... My former employer paid me 3 months salary and benefits as severance, so I have no reason to complain. I thought about getting another job, but haven't, and probably won't unless money gets too tight. So far it has worked out well and I agree it's the best job I ever had.

dirty old man and Blue One like this.
  23. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

I'm four years into retirement....I use to install ceramic tile...and the ole body is pretty beat up....last 5 years of working I worked for Home Depot helping in the flooring dept.....I have been in the old car hobby since1982....before I got out of the trade I decided to turn my hobby into a little side business selling antique car parts....you could always advertise by word of mouth or in print and start up your own small business teaching how to weld....you won't get rich but you will make a lot of new friends and help the hobby in your own way....

Blue One likes this.
  24. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Blue One likes this.
  25. Congratulations. After 55 years in the workplace, I'm retiring 6 months from next Thursday, counting the hours.

dirty old man and Blue One like this.
  26. snelson57

snelson57

I hope it finds me. I’m planning to be ready in 9 yrs when I turn 55 and my youngest graduates high school.

Blue One likes this.
  27. Make the most of each day! Time will really start to fly now. I have been retired for many years and always managed to keep busy. The problem now is my body is wearing out. Again, enjoy every day . Stay Well!

dirty old man, j3harleys and Blue One like this.
  28. j3harleys

j3harleys

The problem with retirement is there is no more vacations, now it's just a trip, And the problem with a trip is you don't know when you have to go get home.

jim snow and Blue One like this.
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks Tim
    :D I successfully hid out for a while but he found me :D
    I surrendered without a fight. :cool: :D

dirty old man and Tim like this.
  30. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Welcome to the club. Oct. 1996 for me.