Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Like weird/rare stuff? I found this '40 Merc 4-door convertible...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Abomination

Abomination

So, I was poking around on Lincoln, NE Craigslist, just because, and found this rare little gem:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd never seen one before, or even knew something like this existed!

And no, I didn't post the link. It's kind of a faux-pas, I guess. But y'all are smart people. There's more than enough info here for folks to track it down if they want to see it for themselves. I just thought it was cool.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    wicarnut and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Abomination

Abomination

The guy says it's a one-year-only body, and of the 879 made, probably 24 still exist.

The late Merc flatty is rebuilt and it's had a 12v conversion done, but the Weiland "FR" (Full Race) long stud heads, SP oval top 97s, Harmon and Collins dual-point distributor, and Fentons just sweeten the deal.

It was awesome enough to post it here. Hell, it was awesome enough for me to wonder where I could get $39k for 10 whole minutes...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Abomination

Abomination

It's some dude named Alton in Hastings, Ne. Anybody know him/seen the car in person?

4. partssaloon

partssaloon

We have one here in town, very nice!

5. Abomination

Abomination

I have kids, and have become a fan of the "Shut up and get your own door" advantage more-doors provide of late. Hence, the appeal.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Abomination

Abomination

7. Abomination

Abomination

The old Merc brochures are really cool. So are their ads.

That's quite the modern looking cowboy in '40... he probably smokes Marlboros.

[​IMG]

Hollywood-East likes this.
  8. Abomination

Abomination

9. When I moved to San Francisco in 1956, I saw a white chopped Mercury 4 door convertible coming out of the Stockton Tunnel in San Francisco. I will always remember that because it was the first custom / hot rod that I saw in California.

kidcampbell71 and Hnstray like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep

11. The Harold Ohanesian is my favourite custom ever, that roof, wow!

from Kustomrama
    Harold-ohanesian-1940-mercury.jpg

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`m thinking a few more than 24 exist. I have to finish a top on one for a guy who lives notrh of Auburn Nebraska when the Top manufacture opens back up(Corona shut down) so I can order more material. It`s been a fun car to work on.

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The car brochures from that era all had ‘artwork’ vs photos......and all the people were about half-size.....really made the cars look big and roomy....:D

That “estimated 24 still exist” is typically based on a Club registry for people who are joiners and usually restorers as well. The hot rod cars won’t show up there.

No matter....this looks like a really nice car!

Ray

14. brady1929

brady1929

Damn, that's beautiful.

15. There was a fellow in the northwest suburbs of Philly who had one (Bala Cynwyd area) back in the 80's- always enjoyed seeing him tooling around in it!