Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Ever hear the term Road Dog?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 18, 2020.

1. I was thinking of my late friend and fellow Hamber Randy Nash used that term regularly to describe himself, he was always looking for a reason to leave his residence in West Columbia & hit the road.

It wasn't unusual for Randy (Deuce Roadster) and his bride to drive his roadster or coupe to the upstate to hit the McDonald's cruise in's, he showed up practically every month and many people that met him was sure he lived locally instead of driving the 266 miles for a monthly cruise in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It wasn't unusual for Randy to arise early on Sunday after getting home around 2 A.M. and lay down another 220 mile round trip to Charleston,S.C. for lunch.

This one is from the LA Roadster Show.

[​IMG]

Brenda took this photo of Randy on the last All Deuce Run, sadly it was the last time we saw him.

[​IMG]

I remember Tom Hassell (seadog) say that if you looked up the term Southern Gentleman in the dictionary you might find a photo of Randy, I totally agree but there is another term that described my old friend and I smile every time I here it, Road Dog, he loved to ride! HRP

[​IMG]

2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I’ve been called a road warrior but never a road dog.:D

3. A few guys used to call me a dog of war.
    Because I’d show up, get a bunch of shit done, piss all the lazy guys off by saving their asses then I was asked to leave.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    VANDENPLAS, winduptoy, raven and 4 others like this.
  4. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I’ve heard piece of s#*t cars called ....road apples.

5. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Had an employee we called "Shop Dog" . He was loyal and entertaining.....And he smelled really bad.

6. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

We've always used the term Road Dogs for beers while driving.....

7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Road Dogs, Road Warriors. Both terms used in my unit in Iraq for our platoon names because we did convoy security missions.(we were "Road Warriors)

We had a car group at Ft. Ord during the 1970's, and we were called the Road Dogs. We made runs along the coast and the Interstates during the weekends when we didn't have duty.
    It was nice meeting other people with hot rods who were doing the same thing.

Just Gary, Texas Webb, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

He's back!
    Danny, I always smile when you honor Randy, gone but not forgotten.
    A good friend is never truly gone!

VANDENPLAS, Chavezk21, seadog and 8 others like this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

Troopers I worked with always used the term "Road Dog" to differentiate us from the "Office pouges" that never had to patrol the roads.

EDIT: just remembered Road Dogs was made into an unofficial emblem.

road_dog.jpg

10. I had a real good friend that more people knew as Road Dirt than by his real name Danny S. He even had it on his uniform name patch.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

11. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just heard the term ' Road Dog' now. I've got a buddy that I call 'Dinosaur Dog' as he runs all 48 states in a 1955 Kenworth conventional. He has owned the truck since he was 17 and is the same age as his truck. He is the Top Dino Road Dog come to think of it....Road Dogs love to drive.

12. In my generation a "road dog" is a open alcohol container being consumed while in operation of a motor vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve heard of ‘rode hard and put away wet’.

WB69, loudbang, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Every Time you show Randy I think of the time he spent in my booth at the Street Rod Nats just talking about hot rods and deuces in particular. Was lucky to have had dinner with him and his wife several times at the headquarters hotel. Yes, a true southern gentleman and for sure a Road Dog.

15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here. We always had a case of "road dogs" in the back seat on Fri./Sat. night. That was way back when drunk driving on the weekend was the standard practice.:eek:

16. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The real " Road Dog "
    road dog.jpg

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

This is what I thought of too. ^^^^^^^^^^^

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Somebody stuck the name road dog on us truckers. SirrusXM even has a truckers channel called Road Dog Trucking channel. It was called The Open Road channel on XM before the merger. When Sirrus bought XM and merged them together, I sent them an email telling them I didn't like somebody calling me a dog. They apologized, but never changed the name back. I quit listening to that channel after that because they screwed it up and took off all the knowledgeable guys that knew trucking and put on a bunch of idiots and clowns who didn't have a clue.
    So, don't call me a dog or we might have problems....the road dog was my 25 lb Boston Terrier who rode with me a few years. She stays at home now, she's too damn heavy to pick up and put in the truck anymore, about 35 lbs now!

19. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Randy was always up for a road trip yes he was a road dog.

One day I ask danny where randy lived and he said Columbia I thought he was pulling my leg he was always in Anderson. he was a good guy

HOTRODPRIMER and loudbang like this.
  20. Used to be a good local southern rock/rockabilly band called "Bird Dog and the Road Kings".

21. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Danny, thanks for mentioning Randy; I think of him most times when I open the door to my shop. Randy's '40 (my avatar) is right inside the door. He was a good guy. As he appeared in that last photo, I called him "2/3 Randy" , in reference to all the size he had lost.

vic

Louie, HOTRODPRIMER and loudbang like this.
  22. raven

raven

Randy truly was a consummate gentleman. Sorely missed by those who had the pleasure of knowing him.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. I remember you asking me that and you thought I was BSing you. HRP

lo c dan and loudbang like this.
  24. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always heard it used to describe bikers who lived on the road, wanderers.

loudbang and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. 41woodie

41woodie

That's the first place I saw it used, was a photo in Walnecks

loudbang and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. Good to hear from you Vic, Randy lost a lot of weight after the 5 bypass surgery and his health improved for several years, unfortunately going on dialysis and the surgery for a faulty heart valve was too much to overcome.

I talked to his wife earlier this week and she is doing well. HRP

47ragtop, lo c dan, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  27. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I saw randys 40 after he was hit from behind in Georgia, his body man did magic and randy told me he even used the original trunk lid.

I have a picture I will post.

28. My Janice girl always used hordog a lot in her descriptions......lucky...not at me......

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

30. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I found the picture, randy was waiting for the light to change and the guy that hit him never slowed down.

[​IMG]