Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage It found me (Retirement)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Well guys I have searched for retirement threads and also read the various ones that have popped up from time to time.

Some of them have been and are entertaining such as the retirement workload thread just to name one.

I had been thinking about what retirement might be like and had done some planning however I was thinking I’d go a little bit longer.

Some of you may be aware that for the last 22 years I have been teaching my trade (Welding) and have really enjoyed the job, helping the students in their apprenticeship careers.

Having summers off and all that was great too.

This year our provincial government decided to cut funding to post secondary education institutions by a lot.

That along with lower student numbers meant that staff would be reduced.

My seniority meant that I was going to be able to stay for as long as I wanted however they offered an attractive severance package so to make a long story shorter, I accepted the offer and today is my first day of retirement.

I’m happy about it, I’ve got lots to keep me busy, finishing my RPU, just upholstery left now and once this virus thing has passed we can spend some time in Texas while it’s cold up here.

My first project is changing my shop lighting over to LEDs.

I’ll be 66 this July so you could say that I made it :cool::D

DIYGUY, 47ragtop, vtx1800 and 56 others like this.
  2. Great that you can go on your terms.
    If you're changing 4' flourescent lights to LED, best to get the tubes that take line voltage, eliminating the ballast altogether, IMHO.

rbrewer, loudbang, upspirate and 2 others like this.
  3. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will now find that you have very little time for your interests. I don't know why but it worked that way for me. 10 years in and still enjoying it

Deuces, dirty old man, Baron and 5 others like this.
  4. Jokester

Jokester

Congratulations. It won't be long til you wonder how you ever had time to work.

Keep busy.

.bjb

5. Slopok

Slopok

The only problem with retirement is there's no days off!;) Enjoy

neilswheels, Deuces, Mr48chev and 8 others like this.
  6. Congratulations...hope to be in your shoes in 11 years...as long as we get back to work, start building cars, and people have jobs to buy them I should be alright..oh yeah..that 90K I lost in my 401K can come back too.

7. 2935ford

2935ford

Congrats! Retirement is a good gig. I've been at it now for 18 years and so far, not much compares to it!

Deuces, zipoleon, dana barlow and 4 others like this.
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My electrician son got me a good deal on a box of Sylvania LED tubes that eliminate the ballasts.
    Should be good. 5000K

9. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Congrats man!. I'm shooting for about ten years if all goes well.. One of my new hire millennial coworkers asked awhile back if I ever thought about retirement.

"Every damned day!"

10. Congratulations Larry, I won't take you long to realize how you ever got anything done when you were employed! :D HRP

Deuces, TomT, ct1932ford and 5 others like this.
  11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The powers that be at work started making things a bit difficult for me in order to nudge me into retirement. I planned on working a while longer and I had enough seniority so they couldn't force me out. Regardless I ran the numbers and it didn't make sense to stay and fight them so I pulled the pin. That was over 10 years ago and I don't regret my decision one bit. I still remember the first Sunday afternoon after retirement when I didn't have that "Oh shit, I have to go to work tomorrow and I didn't get everything done I needed to this weekend feeling". Congrats on your retirement, you'll love it.

47ragtop, vtx1800, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Retirement is the best job I've ever had:D

13. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

I HAVE BEEN RETIRED FOR 3 YEARS AND LOVE IT
    NO WAY IN HELL WOULD I GO BACK TO WORK M-F
    WELL ITS TIME FOR A BUD

14. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good for you!
    You can work and make more money or not work and make more years....you'll like the led's, they're bright as arc flash and no ballast buzzing....Congratulations!

15. williebill

williebill

Congratulations. This virus thing has my biz shut down, except I go in every day to get the mail, do a little work, etc.
    I've been wondering if this is what retirement might feel like.
    Right away my sleep schedule went to hell. And I noticed that the days go by really fast.
    Glad you got to go out on your terms. Sucks about your old program, though.

Deuces, rbrewer, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  16. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Well Im 63, trying to make it until January. But this virus has me thinking..............

47ragtop, Deuces, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  17. I have made some bad decisions in my life, but retiring at the first opportunity is not one of them, its the best decision I ever made. I have not regretted it one day. It is so great to not have to worry about making it in to work during bad weather or putting up with bosses that are young enough to be your grand kids and never worked the job they are supervising.
    You can always get a part time job or gig to supplement your income and work your hours if you want to. I did that for a while and it was so much nicer than a 40hr or longer work week.
    Congrats! Enjoy! Sleep in!

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

The good news about retirement is your ability to do what you want. The bad news is you make a lot less money then when you worked full time. The most important retirement item is a good health care plan. Your going to need it.

19. trollst

trollst

Congrats man, you'll love it, takes a little adjustment, but it'll be the best thing you've ever done.

Deuces, loudbang and Blue One like this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks Danny if I ever need any help figuring this retirement thing out I know who to ask. :cool::D

Deuces, dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  21. catdad49

catdad49

Congratulations! I see that you have already found the key to a Happy retirement........keeping busy. The even better part is that if you don't get it done today there's always tomorrow. Enjoy!

22. jim snow

jim snow

Congrats, I’m coming up on 5 years at the end of June. Best decision I ever made. Snowman

23. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Blue One: You made the right decision.
    Time really flies after you retire.
    Stay healthy and enjoy every moment.
    CONGRATS.

24. Latigo

Latigo

Good for you! I’ve been retired for 5 years now. Left at 64 1/2 in good health. Loved my job as a park ranger but retired just because I could and have never regretted it. Yes, your income is less but I’ve found I spend a lot less too. Stay healthy.

25. Congrats.
    Walking out of the classroom is tough.
    They are making changes here also. Looks like my current teaching gig is ok for now but I don’t expect it to go much longer.
    No where close to retirement yet. A friend of mine retired a couple month ago and stays busier more now than before retirement.

Have fun and enjoy.

26. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

47ragtop, catdad49, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  27. Congratulations. It’s 14 years since I retired. I have enjoyed every day. Sometimes I do a lot, sometimes very little, but the worst retirement day I’ve had is still better than the worst working days.

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks guys health and health insurance was mentioned and we have that covered.
    Teaching for the past 22 years has meant that I was able to remain healthier than a lot of other Welders working in industry.

I’ve never smoked and I’m in pretty good health.

We were able to sign up for Supplemental health insurance with the ARTA (Alberta Retired Teachers Association) to replace my employee group plan for extended health benefits for drugs vision and dental benefits.

Along with that comes travel insurance for up to 90 days out of country and the important part is that as a retired teacher as you get older travel insurance remains and premiums never increase.

So along with the Alberta health plan we’ll be fine.

29. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats from one 66 year old to another! Ya made it! Now start whacking them projects out one after another!:D