Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Took a little trip......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Apr 17, 2020.

1. trollst

trollst

So, got a call from an old, dear friend, long timer in my life, the kind you have deep respect for, he got cancer, went for surgery, was told he was in the clear, came home with a big hole in him. Ten or so days later, after some more examination, he was told to finalize his affairs, it didn't look good. He's got a rare, aggressive killer to deal with, they'll schedule some chemo, so....thats where he's at.
    What to do? Pile into my twenty year old tired hot rod, and head out three hours to see him while he's still here, and I'll share the trip. So....nine o clock thursday morning, I get into old mary, light her up here in Princeton, and head for the first gas stop, Keremeos, about 45 minutes, through some desert country, temp around -2 celcius, (28 or so for you furriners), no heater in the old girl. Push her harder to get some heat in the cab, no traffic due to the bug, everybody staying home, sun is out, it'll warm up, only the toes are cold.Make my gas stop, clean the windshield, chat with the curious, explain why I'm stupid enough to drive a hot rod in freezing weather without a heater, and then pile into mary for the rest of the trip, 19 gallons of gas on board. DSC07687.JPG DSC07602.JPG DSC07603.JPG DSC07604.JPG DSC07605.JPG DSC07606.JPG Some roadside stuff around Keremeos, cool little fruit town, any kind you like, a little early yet, around may you can get some cherries, then peaches, make sure to walk into one of the many fruit stands there. Back up to speed, going toward Grand Forks, next past Cawston, more fruit, more old trucks, DSC07612.JPG DSC07615.JPG DSC07616.JPG DSC07620.JPG Then, some warmth, my toes aren't suffering any more. Booking it hard to the Richter Pass, over the hill, on to BCT's neck of the woods, Osoyoos. Also the home of JF customs, DSC07628.JPG More to come peeps, stay tuned. Gotta take the garbage to the dump, hang on, as Arnold said....I'll be back.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Glad you are able to see him. Sending prayers to him and his family.

town sedan, Desoto291Hemi and Thor1 like this.
  3. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry to hear the bad news about your friend. I'm sure he will enjoy your company, hope you guys can raise a little hell what ever that may entail, all things considered. I will follow along and even though he don't know me from Adam give him my best.
    Great pictures.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It's wonderful that you honor your friend with a visit that he will
    always remember as he begins the journey home.

town sedan, 61Cruiser and Thor1 like this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for sharing

town sedan and Thor1 like this.
  6. town sedan

town sedan

Sucks about your friend, it's good for the both of you that you were able to make the trip.
    Thanks for the pictures even though they remind me I've been in the flatlands too long.
    -Dave

Thor1 likes this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Tough time of life for most of us, watching our friends die. Everytime I read a post like this, I get to thinking of how many friends have gone on!
    Good for you going and seeing him! Better than attending the funeral. Sorry about your’s and his troubles.

Bones

8. Your journey and description reminds me of Rumbleseat's journeys, a regular on the Ford Barn til he passed. Sorry about your friend and hoping for the best.

9. Nice truck. Sorry about your buddy. Cancer sucks. Have heart. The Doctors told my baby brother, 60, the same thing a year ago. Prayers and determination have brought him to the point of " well maybe we were wrong" from the Dr.

Ben

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Trollst, I admire your dedication to your friend. I'm sure he appreciated it.

11. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

You are a great friend!

Sorry for your friend’s health problems.

town sedan, 61Cruiser and Thor1 like this.
  12. catdad49

catdad49

Friends.......most of us don't have many, but the ones we do.............well, you know who they are. Bless you for being that kind of friend.........I'm sure your friend appreciates you, too. Safe Travels, Carp.

Thor1 and town sedan like this.
  13. belair

belair

Your friend has a good friend.

catdad49, town sedan and Thor1 like this.
  14. trollst

trollst

DSC07631.JPG DSC07632.JPG Cresting the pass to Osoyoos, down to a great little tourist town, touted as the warmest spot in canada, the merican border is a mile or two south, popular entry point into canada, most southerly town in the Okanagan valley, also a big fruit town. DSC07626.JPG DSC07626.JPG Past JF's shop, high end builder guy, competed for the riddler, well known in the big boy circles, sometimes makes an appearance on the popular Rust Valley reality show. No stop there, keep on going, through town, up the Anarchist, a steep winding highway out of town with a stop to show you guys the other side of Osoyoos. DSC07631.JPG DSC07633.JPG Then, over the top, my old girl is running strong, a tired old 64 327, bored to 331, 300 horse cam, camel hump heads, earned her money going up there. On to more desert country, finally hit Bridesville, a tiny hamlet full of "who the fuck are you, and what are you doing here" people, this place is literally in bumfuck nowhere. DSC07640.JPG DSC07641.JPG DSC07643.JPG DSC07644.JPG DSC07646.JPG DSC07647.JPG DSC07648.JPG DSC07649.JPG DSC07650.JPG DSC07652.JPG DSC07653.JPG At the butt end of town, there is of all things here in the wild west, an Ostrich farm, this is genuinely a weird place. OH! gotta go, time to feed my mutts. Back soon.

Attached Files:

15. trollst

trollst

Out of there, back on the highway, south to Rock Creek, nothing special about Rock Creek, ranching town, start of Boundary country, big silver mining stuff in the early 1900's. Beautiful open range country, really nice to drive a hot rod in, lots of old falling down buildings and 100 year old ranches, here's pics of the ostrich ranch. DSC07654.JPG DSC07655.JPG Some shots of the country..... DSC07657.JPG Then, into Rock Creek..... DSC07658.JPG DSC07659.JPG DSC07660.JPG DSC07661.JPG DSC07662.JPG DSC07663.JPG Flatter more open country now, follow the river in places, got to wind old mary out, temps up in the 14 celcius range, (60's for you furriners), getting warmer, on to Midway. Why Midway you ask? Cause its midway between Rock Creek and Greenwood, the smallest city in canada. DSC07664.JPG DSC07665.JPG DSC07667.JPG DSC07668.JPG So, lets beat feet to Greenwood, a place I got my first job in a logging camp, I learned how to get drunk there, and I learned NOT to get drunk there, I lived in the hotel, the restaurant was run by a woman named Alice, and was called.....you guessed it, Alices restaurant....she nursed me back to health from several violent hangovers, one that lasted four days and nearly killed me. Its where I developed the nickname The Troll, and it all ended when a forest fire came through. We were all in the bar, I was 18, the forestry guys backed a crummy up to the back door and blocked the front door, guess where I went, yes, into the crummy. Hottest, hardest 12 days I ever worked. DSC07672.JPG DSC07674.JPG DSC07675.JPG DSC07676.JPG DSC07677.JPG DSC07678.JPG DSC07679.JPG DSC07680.JPG DSC07681.JPG DSC07682.JPG DSC07683.JPG Now, next stop, Grand Forks, completion of three hours straight in a hot rod, temps near 20 degrees now, (72 for you furriners), go spend a couple hours with my friend Bob, make sure what needs said gets said, so, I push mary again, run the last 40 or so minutes with some dread, some trepidation, what to say to my good friend? DSC07684.JPG DSC07685.JPG I arrived at his house, we walked through his hoard, we talked like old times, talked about dying, and how he hoped he'd make the year, as he had a lot to do, a couple cars to put together, and a lifetime of good stuff to pass on. He was having trouble, got a broken rib, the day was gorgeous, country air was everything you could imagine......and I knew I wouldn't see him again.
    I fired mary up, backed out of the yard, and could hardly control myself, I poked mary hard, got on the highway and poked mary harder. I ran my old girl real hard home, lots of very high speed over some mountain passes, time went quickly, and I realised how fortunate I was, took three hours to get there, and two and a half to get home. Good friends are to be treasured, life is hard without them. Here's mary. DSC07686.JPG DSC07687.JPG DSC07688.JPG

Thor1, charleyw, catdad49 and 18 others like this.
  16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My prayers are with you and your friend and families . I’m a 28 years stage 4 survivor myself . I was 32 , and I can not forget the Dr telling me “ you have a 20% chance to make it 5 years “. I have 2 small kids at the time , very very hard times mentally and physically . It really made me think about all the many many things we take for granted in our daily routine . It made me realize that friendships are for ever , even if they pass they are always with you watchin out for and having a laugh or two with you . I’m sorry , if I can be of any help , please ask .

Thor1, catdad49, raven and 3 others like this.
  17. You're a good friend.

18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

What can I say? At 82 myself, an still living in the same town in which I was born and raised and in fact living in the same house my family built in 1941 and we moved in with me 4 yrs. old just before Pearl Harbor. My roots are deep here and every day almost, the obituary in the barely surviving local newspaper carries bad news, often about people younger than I, and many of whom I knew, keeps me looking over my shoulder.
    But the only way to survive and maintain your sanity, is to keep on keeping on. Continue to build and maintain the cars you have, and plan for future projects, some of which I doubt I'll ever get "around to it".
    I do try and maintain contact with my old racing buddies, and they do mean a lot to me.

Thor1, catdad49, R A Wrench and 3 others like this.
  19. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

If you make it to your "golden years", people come and go in your life. Some can't go fast enough, others like your friend stay till the end. You sir are a true friend to your friend! I broke my heart reading your post.

Thor1, catdad49, trollst and 2 others like this.
  20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

trollst... I'm not bullshittin... that was very touching. I sure hadn't planned on traveling across Canada this morning with tears in my eyes... could hardly see the beautiful scenery. But I'm glad you took us along... for you and us.
    You're a good man.
    You're a good friend.
    We're lucky to have you here.
    We're with you in spirit.
    Bless your friend so much.
    And you, too.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Always hard to tell someone goodbye like that then waiting to get the notice down the road. The drive home had to be hard. You may not be able to be there in person but the phone calls can be precious. As said by others, you're a good friend. The kind we all hope for.

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You live in Canada
    Get some heat in your truck before taking us somewhere again.
    Our toes were cold!

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1, 61Cruiser, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  23. You did the right thing. We can all learn a lesson from you.

24. town sedan

town sedan

No matter how prepared you are it's always hard. I'm glad you were able to make the trip.
    -Dave

Thor1, catdad49 and trollst like this.
  25. trollst

trollst

Thanks guys, his name is Bob Skillings, he's been a great friend to me, helped me understand the talent I have with building cars, had been very encouraging when I built my first T bucket, turned out he knew my wife from childhood, something I didn't know the first couple years I met him. I'm sure there are members here that know him, when you read this, you guys call him. 250-442-1238. He can use the lift, I'm sure its gonna be a rough road. LeRoy.

26. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

trollst,sir you are a great man. I hate to hear about your friend. .Things like that are a real gut punch. You have done a great thing there and I am glad that you were able to go.

27. All right. For all us " furriners", what is a crummy?

Nice travelogue, even if the reason for same is emotional.

Ben

trollst, catdad49 and town sedan like this.
  28. Jagman

Jagman

I think everything that needs to be said has been, so good on you is all I have.

But a question - if you live on one side of the border there on the lake, can you boat on up (or down) to the other side without a fuss?

29. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I wish the best for your friend. I hope when my time comes, I have at least one friend like you, sir.

trollst, Thor1 and town sedan like this.