Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Glass '32 5 Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Splitbudaba, Feb 6, 2017.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

"Based on the iconic “double-hump” or “camel-back” (fuelie) cylinder heads of the ‘60s and early ‘70s—including the famed 461 Fuelie heads—the DHC 175 castings are modern aluminum versions with straight spark-plug locations and improved 60cc combustion chambers. The small cross-section intake runners measure 175cc, and will flow nearly 260 cfm at .500-inch lift out of the box. The exhaust ports are cast at 74cc, and flow almost 200 cfm at .500-inch lift. All of these performance numbers are an improvement over the factory originals".

Splitbudaba likes this.
  2. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Love a set, trouble the $1300 price tag. The budget just can’t stretch that far!

loudbang likes this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a set online made somewhere west of LA for a 396 I built a few years ago. They were closed camber and high comp, square ports, nice castings actually. Dropped them off at my machine shop and had them disassembled and re-worked. Ran those hard for a few years before selling the car last year.

loudbang and Splitbudaba like this.
  4. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Do you remember what the machine work cost?

loudbang likes this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had the seats re-cut, new retainers, had them touched on the deck machine (not quite flat). Don't recall the number exactly but less than $250. I always pay cash and don't ask for a receipt on little stuff.

6. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Sure has gotten more expensive. I guess the hardened seats runs the cost up. I’m retired and on SS so the cheapest way has a definite advantage ! I did like the idea of using the old heads for the look and it raises the compression up to about 9.2 to 1.

Baron and loudbang like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are days I look forward to retiring, then I buy some parts and I'm thankful I still have a paycheck. Drove the 442 today to work, PW motor on the driver side wont roll the window up anymore. New motor ordered, more $ spent. Driving old cars is expensive!

8. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

AMEN!! I am trying to finish our new home and build my coupe! Sometimes I don’t have enough money or time! But look on the bright side, I always have something to do !!

9. Those aluminum double hump heads are all looks, they don't flow for shit, I was thinking of getting those for the engine I have to build for the 57 p/u until I seen some flow tests on them.

Baron, loudbang and Splitbudaba like this.
  10. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Good to know, that really takes them off the list! I might be nuts but I must pull the heads for springs and a mild port job, so while they are off I might fill the accessory bolt holes and grind off the markings. Fab a double hump plate and epoxy it in places. Apply a coat of high temp epoxy, shape it and use my pin de-scaler to give it the texture. Fake camel humps, just like fake boobs! What do you think?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    swade41 and loudbang like this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

Fake humps are good, one doesn't play with them as much as fake boobs. :)

Lil32, wfo guy, Baron and 2 others like this.
  12. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

That sounds like a could be famous quote, could go viral!

13. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Just watched Ford vs. Ferrari! Loved it, brought back many memories from the 60’s when I watched it on our black and white Philco tv and read about it in Motortrend and other car magazines! I remembered how I felt about cars the way I did back then. Time to get back on my coupe!!!! Passion fades, thank god for memories!

14. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Well, decided to go with the old camel bump 461 heads. Like the look and compression increase. I just have to decide on the seats, I saw where alot of guys don’t replace the seats in a light weight, low usage car! Might not do them and see what happens. I will get them hot tanked and checked for cracks. Then I will port them and then a three angle valve job and stay with the 1.94 valves. Anybody need a brand new set of heads off my crate motor that has never been fired? What’s a good price for them also? Head p/n 93438649.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  15. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

35A0F62D-C788-4EC5-A3DA-2FAF0556E53F.jpeg Finally some progress on my coupe! Bought a Fast Shaft a few years ago, pulled the u- joints out, cleaned the ugly white paint off, checked the u-joints and reassembled with the yoke and slide it into place! Fits good, now on to seat mounts!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to see you back on the 5W. Keep at it. :)

17. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

1934DBCF-6EE8-489E-83B9-AF625F24C430.jpeg 9F471076-B675-464E-92BC-FBFBC27BE259.jpeg Wow, got some more work done, amazing!! Finished up the seat mount, except final holes in floor to grab the steel cross bars! Cut my Hurst shifter almost all the way through, laid it over for leg clearance and welded it back up. Works great, can’t wait to give it a try!

DenverFlash, loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  18. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Instead of cutting the shifter next time,try this. Done it a few times and works excellent. Love your build. Glad to see your back on it. Deuce Rdstr  floor 3 20 20 a.jpg

31hotrodguy, loudbang and Splitbudaba like this.
  19. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I have seen that before, still might add spacers and cut it up higher and bend it back to straighten it up! Need the seat in to decide. Thanks! Glad to be back on her myself, kinda therapeutic!! How I have missed my garage time!!

loudbang and Baron like this.
  20. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I just clamped my shift lever in the vise just above the bolt holes, heated the lever with a torch and bent it. Didn't even hurt any chrome that you could see, boot covered it all!
    SPark

100_3589.JPG

21. daveh1932

daveh1932
    from UK

Good to see you are making progress again. I love Hurst shifters, I had a 5 speed manual in my last rod, had to have a Hurst on it, it screams hot rod!

DenverFlash, loudbang and Splitbudaba like this.
  22. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

A neat trick is to have the chambers cut like the factory did on the 2.02 heads. Helps a bit.
    As for not running harden seats I’ve had heads were they were totally sunk in and others that looked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I hear what you are saying! I have let reality win, the crate heads have hardened seats and are brand new. Budget doesn’t help! I got some quotes from local machine shops, most are over $750 if I supply some parts. Last evening I was working on the coupe, long story short, I might reshape the ends on my heads to make them look like camel humps. Would be interesting to see if anybody would ever realize that?!!! Still want to match port them and unshroud the bowls! How many guys can say they have a fake 32’ with fake camel bump heads?

24. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Your car looks great, yes feels great to be back on my coupe! Retirement has it’s rewards.

loudbang likes this.
  25. glrbird

glrbird

You will a light car, fresh engine, 4 speed. I don’t think spending money on heads is money wise. Run it as is, additives in the tank and modify engine later. It’s going to be cool car with or without different heads.

26. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Agreed, my goal is the look. I see it in my head and I will make it look that way. 0 to 60 times are not so important any more! And thanks, I like the way you think!

41 coupe, 31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  27. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

DC99F1F5-076B-45A8-9608-9DCC7B3D3072.jpeg C045CED4-AC9E-4163-B686-C3258FBEBA83.jpeg C6FA1E5A-EE8E-436C-8339-CF74C0793FD6.jpeg 3FAF1E85-6AE3-4C59-B60C-E84982E9F3A3.jpeg Well, worked on the coupe since noon, took the rear axles and brakes off , detailed them and painted all the bare metal. Now I need the o’rings for the axle bearings, then assemble it and fill it up with lube! The brake assemblies are from John’s Industries! It was great working on her again!! I feel calm!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  28. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

FCD6AD99-E31F-4293-A61D-EB1BE42FDD3D.jpeg Worked on the seats, yeah Tupperware for now. The seat covers had a Jazz logo patch sewed to the head rest. Did not care for that, found these online! Much more appropriate, don’t you think?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  29. loudbang

loudbang

30. That's what was done to both shifters on my Model A and '32. Smokes the chrome a bit but does the trick!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Splitbudaba and loudbang like this.