Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Serial number on flathead?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 64Pony, Apr 17, 2020.

1. 64Pony

64Pony

Hi, I’ve been reading a lot of information on where serial numbers should be on flatheads, I’m just not seeing it on mine. This was out of a 40 pickup, had just the letter A cast on the head and based on the bore size I believe it’s a 221. Did these have serial numbers?I found some casted numbers but not sure if they mean anything. This is my first flathead and plan is to keep it. Was curious on decoding if possible. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  2. Congratulations on your Flathead !
    I am new to Flatheads myself,,,,I’m not sure about any serial numbers on these engines.
    There wasn’t any on mine .

Tommy

3. cs39ford

cs39ford

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

There is really not much decoding of those old serial numbers, they do not provide the degree of information that modern VIN’s do. You already know that it is a 221 and that it came out of a 40 pickup, there really isn’t much more to learn.

5. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

And like @cs39ford said, if the transmission that you have is original to the motor, the vehicle serial number should be stamped on the top front of the transmission.

cs39ford likes this.
  6. flatjack

flatjack

The number would be 18-xxxxxxx. Then look it up on Van Pelts website.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. 64Pony

64Pony

Finally got around to pulling a couple pistons out and was not expecting 3 ring pistons and 8ba rods. Are these aftermarket pistons? Any idea on how I can tell if they are forged/cast. There are no numbers on them but they do have a slight dome(high compression?). Curious on what I actually have here.[​IMG]

8. Looks like you might have a stroked motor. Did you measure the stroke? How far down the piston can go in the cylinder. Original stroke is 3-3/4”. That might have a 4” merc crank. 8ba rods use insert bearings while the 40 block used full floating bearings. Dome pistons too. Does it have adjustable lifters? Might even have a big cam in it. Any names on the cam snout?

9. 64Pony

64Pony

Checked the stroke. It’s 3 3/4. The mystery piston is 3” in length. The entire lifter area is caked in sludge so I can’t see much. Going to dig into that next. I need to order one of those flathead valve removers.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is there a number stamped on the top of the transmission close to the block mounting surfaces? You might have to do some scraping and cleaning.

Looks like it has been running, so it must have a later (8BA) crankshaft as well. Those insert rods won't survive long on a "one-hole" crankshaft.

11. That is an unusual ring pack on that piston ?

Look at it really close .

Tommy