Register now to get rid of these ads!

New and hoping for boat tail help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carterjamison1, Apr 16, 2020.

1. True, and those would be far more practical, or I guess I should say more fun, always better to go with a buddy

2. 4ty

4ty

Some of the Model A vendors used to offer a Speedster body kit. You might try over on FordBarn Model A site.
    Paul in CT

town sedan likes this.
  3. Shane Lach

Shane Lach

I built a body from 20 gauge steel and no experience. It takes a lot of trial and error but you can make it happen. Do lots of research. Save photos of cars you like and cars you don't like so you don't end up making the same mistakes. My tail section was made from 4 pieces using a home made shrinking fork, nylon hammer, and some harbor freight dollies. I'd do a couple things different but you can get by with minimal tooling.

IMG_20200322_165200.jpg IMG_20200322_165246.jpg IMG_20200127_181328.jpg

This thing is built on a model T frame and front axle, model a rear axle, as well as some hopes and dreams.

Best of luck and don't be afraid to dive in and step out of your comfort zone. It's the only way to learn!

Flipper, Kume, rusty valley and 18 others like this.
  4. Japper

Japper

That will be a great project. Look at some local Model A clubs, these guys have a lot of parts and many times a chassis you could get for a good price. Good people too. Usually with all the running gear.

Good luck

Japper

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

town sedan likes this.
  5. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

Shane, your car has fine proportions. I would love to some build pictures.

6. A friend has a "T" bucket, but only up to the dashboard. The rest of the bucket is unique in that what looks like cut down door openings are older Chevy stepside rear fenders upside down with filler material across the back. Has other features that make it non-traditional, but cool use of parts. If I can find a pic, I'll post.
    RB

7. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine was already called out earlier in this thread by @Squablow. Period Model T-type body by Mercury Body Corp retrofitted to Model A Chassis. Titled as Model A. Seats two.

IMG_1735.JPG

Advantage of an A platform is they are plentiful, reliable, and have a conventional 3-pedal driving configuration (unlike a T, which can be mind-boggling). The challenge for boat tail application is the width of the frame at rear. You must either pinch the frame or come up with a creative solution. My solution was these frame covers (dubbed "fenderettes" by @Late to the Party) made from the side portions of a '36 Ford humpback trunk lid.
    taillight1.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Brought this one back. Quick reminder... please no kit car/vw crap. Keep it traditional.

thanks!

9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yea - no VW / Kit Car Crap......

If that doesn’t scare the beegeebers out ya - nothing will.....:)

I did have fun Private Messaging Ryan to let him know he was the one that deleted it originally.
    Asleep at the wheel .....haha

BamaMav and town sedan like this.
  10. town sedan

town sedan

Thank you, both. Hope we haven't chassed carterjamisonl off.
    It must be rough with all the new members showing up everyday. As I've said before this is a very special place, mostly due to all of Ryan's and the moderators hard never ending work.
    -Dave

Stogy likes this.
  11. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No worries. I think @Stogy talked him off that ledge. Anyway, we've done all we can to lead @Carterjamison1 to water; up to him to drink.

town sedan and Stogy like this.
  12. 66gmc

66gmc

Wow great job!!!

13. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Please, try to avoid using the word "k*t" !:(

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well if Carterjamison1 is still among us that second photo in post 1 is not a kit car. That is a real deal car participating in an event in Europe.
    As Ryan (head honcho) and a number of others said, we don't do kit cars here. On the other hand there a good number of us who really like and are into cars that look like The early Indy two seat roadsters of the late twenties and up into the mid 30's or the European Grand Prix cars of the same era.
    I'm working on one now that is a mix match of pieces and when it is done the only thing I want people that look at it to think is "old race car" It won't look like anything that actually existed but hopefully carries the look and feel of a late 20's early 30's two seat boat tail race car.

15. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Model Ts are great fun. Here is an original Model T speedster assembled in the 1920s using a period Kuempel Red-I-Kut speedster body.

sp2.jpg sp3.jpg sp7.jpg

16. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    chryslerfan55, Tman and j hansen like this.
  17. chryslerfan55 likes this.