Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wheel cylinders recommendation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mitch 36, Apr 16, 2020.

1. I have searched and came up almost empty, nothing current, have ANY of you found a quality manufactured wheel cylinder? The 10 bolts wheel cylinder in my 36 just sprung a gusher so after 40 years its about time for replacement. I’m sure all are over sea built so if even Wagners or AC Delcos are deemed junk, I’ll just go ahead and rebuild what I got if they aren’t all pitted too badly. Thanks in advance, Mitch.

2. No one??? Nobody buys wheel cylinders anymore? Come on some has to have a clue of what’s the best of the crap that’s out there. Mine are pitted pretty good so they’ll probably need sleeving so new is the way I gotta go for now. Help a brother out will ya?

3. squirrel

squirrel

trying to understand this sentence...do you have a GM 10 bolt rear end? and you need to find quality wheel cylinders for it?

Generally if the new cylinders you buy cost less than $10 each, the quality is suspect. If the same source has a version that costs $20-30 each, they might be better. or maybe not.

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I wonder if Ecklers would have a SS line or at least premium parts?

5. Thanks Squirrel, 72 Nova 10bolt is what I meant to type ( got it free when I built the truck 40 years ago). Cylinders are deeply pitted,,,toast,,probably need sleeving and I don’t want to do that right now. It’s been a long long time since I’ve bought wheel cylinders so I’ll take my chances with NAPA , at least they are close incase they have a “VIRUS”and don’t work out( leak or something ). Mitch.

6. Thanks OldIron, I check it out. Mitch

7. squirrel

squirrel

That's probably a good idea. You can usually read on the box, where the part was made....

8. I'm figuring China like most of the parts these days but ya never know. Thanks

9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

10. I've been using Raybestos brake parts for years but I suspect they are being made in China these days.

bobss396 likes this.
  11. Thanks guys, ordered two from Napa, I'll drive down the mountain soon as the snow slows down and see what they look like. Got my fingers crossed! Mitch.

anthony myrick likes this.
  12. And thanks oldiron440 for the leg work :)

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

The last wheel cylinders I bought were from NAPA for my 56 Chevy. They were about $15.00 each and made in the USA.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Desoto291Hemi and squirrel like this.
  14. 2935ford

2935ford

Don't know about the rest of you folks but I have had no luck at all with offshore wheel cylinders. I find originals to rebuild.

15. yep.....moving slow but I hunt out the NOS ones as I can.........

16. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

This topic just came up on another site I'm on, must be the season, I've given up on new cylinders, they crap out fairly fast and usually come with metric bleeder screws,I've been having the ones I work on stainless sleeved, BUT its been taking up to 3 weeks to get them done.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

Wheel cylinders aren't that complex. If you buy a new one, take it apart to make sure the bore isn't rough, the cups are good shape and pliable, there is some lube or fluid in there to keep the parts from sticking, and check the bleeder and line threads for burrs and accuracy. If all checks out OK, reassemble and run it. If the bore is rough, run your little hone through to smooth it then clean and reassemble. It's not rocket surgery.

18. Haven’t found a non overseas wheel cyl
    But I haven’t had an issue from the generic autozone ones either.
    Bought a bunch of em. Never returned one. Put lots of miles on em

19. I finally used up my stash of old stock WC kits. The kits for my Ford were more than new wheel cylinders. I got Raybestos wheel cylinders from Rock Auto for $8 each. Took them apart, guts were clean so I used them. 10k miles later they don't leak and the car stops well.

town sedan and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  20. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I try to hone and rebuild if at all possible on my old stuff. Just me and one of my anal things I guess.

2935ford and town sedan like this.
  21. The pair I got from Napa appear to be Raybestos, they checked out good so on the truck they went. Gonna bleed them now and hopefully no leakage, crossing my fingers. Thanks all, Mitch.

22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Most NAPA brake cylinders I’ve purchased in the last 5 years were made in Mexico and no issues so far

23. Yea, my boxes were marked CHINA. We'll see how it goes, calling it a day for now, back at it tomorrow.

24. sdluck

sdluck