Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What inspired your online name

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by in the weeds, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd because I'm into arcane intellectual stuff like critical analyses of technological history. Understanding that the real historic Luddites of c.1820 weren't against technology, but were users of technology pissed off about control over their technology being usurped by someone else, gives me a lot of sympathy for them. I'm just as pissed off about the course of automotive technology over the past half century (especially given that a lot of it was motivated by considerations more cynical than is generally understood) because it could have been completely different.

raven, 1Nimrod, s55mercury66 and 6 others like this.
  2. mongo4u2

mongo4u2
    from sparta

"Blazing Saddles " When Alex Karas walks into the street , Me , Mongo ! mongo.jpg

j-jock, 1Nimrod, Hombre and 10 others like this.
  3. My moniker goes back more than 40 years and at a time before primer was considered to be a finished color, every car I had owned seemed to have a coat of red oxide primer when it started looking bad I would shoot a fresh coat and loved the hot rod look.

Our car club attended a show at Stone Mountain Georgia just a few days after getting my model A truck on the road with the primer still so fresh you smell it ten feet away.

[​IMG]

My wife and I strolled around the parking lot eyeing other cars at the show and when we got back to the area the rest of the club members had set up camp we saw a sign in front of the truck that had "BEST PAINT AWARD" wrote in one of my friends? best crayola crayon script on the back of a 24 can Budweiser cardboard box stating the paint job was by "HOTRODPRIMER",the name stuck and I still hear it from few of the old timers in the club that was in attendance. HRP

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    j-jock, raven, hotrodharry2 and 20 others like this.
  4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kiwi 4d, never owned a chev. So it was obvious kiwi ford.
    Many years ago on my 40th birthday my wife surprised me with a personal licence plate MY 4DV8 . Had a buddy here in his 60 flat top chev sedan . His plate said 4DSUCK . He commented on mine and said why are you driving a coupe , when you’re plate says MY 4door V8. Quick as a flash my wife says “ why does your plate say Four doors suck!!”

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    j-jock, 1Nimrod, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  5. CobraJoe

CobraJoe

I started building my first Cobra back in 1997, it was actually going to be a anniversary gift for my wife at the time. Fast forward to August of 1998 and my wife told me she wanted a divorce, and oh yeah, she wanted the Cobra too , so like any other pissed off, soon-to-divorced husband would do, I sold it so she couldn't get it. Seeing that I built the motor, wired it, did the body work, paint, etc. all myself. I ended up making a tidy $12,000.00 profit. I quickly invested the money into an even better "kit" with a lot of upgrades; independent suspension, pin drive wheels, Smith's gauges etc... so when she wanted the money from the sale, I told her she could have the "kit" when it came in and she could build it herself.
    Long story short, everyone had wanted my first Cobra after I sold it and when they found out I was building a second one, they lined up to buy it. It didn't take long to figure out I could make a pretty good living building these things on the side. So I approached a good friend I have known since childhood and told him that there was good money to be made. I already had the shop, so he and I started Nor East Cobras Inc in 1999. Most people new me a by name (Joe) and I was spending a lot of time at Factory Five Racing who produced the body & chassis components but did not build complete cars. Dave Smith (the owner) had a lot of people who wanted turn key cars but didn't have the ability to build them so he would send them to me as I was only 12 minutes away. They would remember my first name, but never my last so it didn't take long before everybody was calling me Cobra Joe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  6. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

My name is Drake. The first forum I ever joined, back in 1999, was car related. I drove a ‘67 Chevy at the time. Not wanting to have a different user name on every forum I joined since, I just stuck with what I got

1Nimrod, loudbang, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  7. My problem is obvious.

j-jock, Gangrene, 1Nimrod and 9 others like this.
  8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!...

Funny stuff. LOL
    And interesting.

Kinda silly, but Rickybop is a nickname my wife gave me when we were still dating and she figured out that I like old cars and old music.
    Thought a time or two about changing it to something "cooler". But especially now that she's gone, I wouldn't do that.
    So, you know... bop shoo bop.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

j-jock, 2bubbas, raven and 21 others like this.
  10. v8flat44

v8flat44

Hombre, T H A N K S for your service !!!!!!!!!!!

loudbang, Hombre, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well mine goes back fifty plus years ago. Back when I was in school I was quite thin, over six foot and a buck and a quarter! I also hung out at the salvage yards ( boneyards) after school , looking for rare car parts! Gordy Walker, hung the nickname “ Boneyard” on me, back about 1965! As time moved on my nickname was shorten to “Bones” ,..... so... I guess I have a nick-nick name!
    But every time I try to use “ Boneyard “ or “ Bones” on a forum, it’s already taken. So I simply add 51 to the end of it!

By the way...... I am twice the man I was in high school, tipping the scales at 250 lbs! But folks still call me “ Bones” ........ just not as many anymore!

Bones

12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ya got me a little "misty" with your posts...I think Rickybop is a wonderful name.

j-jock, 2bubbas, charleyw and 9 others like this.
  13. 41 coupe

41 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from bristol pa

I had just finished my 41 willys coupe when I joined the hamb and I thought I would never get rid of it, but I did.

1Nimrod, loudbang, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  14. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

I don't know. _IGP4055 copyRGB.jpg

j-jock, 1Nimrod, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Rickybop, I, too, am a member of that club! Not a club you want to be in! Your post effected me also! Never change that name! Ever!
    My second wife’s birthday is today, also.

Bones

j-jock, 1Nimrod, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I had the nickname of Bones for years myself. A lot of folks never even knew my name, they all just called me Bones.

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Dang, Blues4U, I knew there was something I liked about you , besides your vast knowledge! Lol
    That’s the way it was with me, back years ago!
    I had a few friends that I actually did not know their real name!
    One comes to mind when a friend of mine was talking about Everett Rowland. I said I don’t know that guy! He said what do you mean! I saw you and him hanging out together the other day! Long pause............ oh , you probably know him as “ ZIP”! I asked, oh is that his real name! True story and I had been hanging with him for 4/5 years!

Bones

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Like a lot of folks I hung around and read the HAMB for quite awhile before joining. One day some thread got me excited and I wanted to reply to it, so I had to join, and then I had to come up with a name. I didn't want to use the same handle I've used on musician sites for years (hasserl), so I just came up with the handle I use here, and then later on I wished I hadn't, but it's too late now. As I already said, I'm a musician. It's not my day job, it's not how I support the family, it's what I do to maintain sanity, but I end up working more gigs than a lot of pro's that I know, at times I've been playing up to ~15 gigs per month. Just before the lockdown I was doing ~6 - 8 gigs per month. And though I grew up playing rock & roll, as I got older I drifted to the blues. So that's it, as Albert King sang, I'll Play the Blues For You.
    27072791_10210804306092248_5271679971591035720_n.jpg

j-jock, raven, hotrodharry2 and 24 others like this.
  19. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Danny that’s a great story. Your club members had a great sense of humor

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I one of my old groups, we had four Johns! So we had, Norton John, Yamaha John, Harley John..... for obvious reasons...... Then we had “ Damit John” ...... because that was his wife’s most common phrase! Lol

Bones

21. what about John Worfin, John Yaya, John small berries?

22. I'm from Connecticut and I own a 1932 Ford. That was easy!

23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Never thought about that! Lol
    Our group were pertty simple folks!

Bones

24. I had a guy that worked for me that rode a Kawasaki, i called him Jap bike Johnny lol. We all had HD's. A guy walked in the shop one day looking at my 89 springer and said how much would you take for it and not back out on me? So i priced it, he bought it, and John looked at me and said "what's up NO BIKE LLOYD" :rolleyes::D

loudbang, 67drake, Lepus and 6 others like this.
  25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speaking of Johns...my name is actually John.

A lot of folks, especially younger folks, don't know that Jack is a nickname for John. the example I have to use is, JFK was also known a Jack Kennedy. If you are born Catholic, you have to be named after a saint. There is no St. Jack (or Saint Bill, Steve, Mike etc.) thus, the nicknames.

Incidentally, I always hated the name John...it reminded me of a toilet.:eek:

26. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

27. Bet nobody can guess what the color of my hair was.

j-jock, 1Nimrod, loudbang and 10 others like this.
  28. 6sally6

6sally6

I drive a.............forbidden word car and its a 66 (also forbidden) I love the old 60's song by Wilson Pickett about a (forbidden word) car and his woman's name was Sally!!
    6sally6

j-jock, 1Nimrod, Blues4U and 9 others like this.
  29. I feel like a criminal for just reading that ;):D

30. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Well here it goes , years ago we were riding on the bikes and stopped to gas up . First ride on my scooter with the new 5 color candy flames . I’m fueling up and a van pulls in opposite of me . The sliding door flys open and these two young boys come over and are wanting to get to close to my bike . It was scalding hot , I’m gassin up trying to keep these boys from getting burnt badly from touching it . One of the says “ that’s cool where did you get it ?” My answer to him was “ I BUILT IT WHILE I WAS IN PRISON ! “ His Mother over hears this and screams at the two of them get over here away from him . She proceeds to shove them in the van slam the door and scream at me “ why did you say that to my boys ? They will never be the same , you have ruined there minds for ever ! “ I stood there and looked stupid at her as she walked off and got in and drove off . All at once I hear “ well old Death Row Dave , you did it now ! “ From that day on it stuck !

j-jock, raven, hotrodharry2 and 15 others like this.