Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to rebuild Model A door latches

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Probesport, Jan 11, 2012.

1. I found a few pictures here on the HAMB but no tutorial so I figured I would take some pictures along the way of redoing mine - I hope it helps someone out. The pictures are mostly of the drivers side locking latch from a 1930 Tudor.

Rebuilding

I started with removing the springs (most were broken) and sandblasting the latches

[​IMG]

Then I disassembled the latches and painted them, nothing too difficult here, the pin holding the catch needs to be driven out with a punch. The lever needs to be freed from the assembly, which I did by bending the outer tab a bit.

[​IMG]

First the big spring gets put on the lever like so

[​IMG]

Then placed in the latch assembly

[​IMG]

I then used a small bench vise and a socket to press it back together.

[​IMG]

The door lock spring goes in like so

[​IMG]

Now it's time for the latch spring and drive rivet

[​IMG]

I used the same small vise to flatten out the bottom of the drive rivet.

[​IMG]

And here is the completed assembly ready to be installed. The spring tab sticks out for a reason, and the assembly may feel weak or loose - this is resolved shortly.

[​IMG]

Oil or grease the springs and any moving parts to allow for easy movement and eliminate squeaks & rattles.

[​IMG]

INSTALLATION

This is the latch ready to be installed, note the spring tab sticking out.

[​IMG]

Push the spring tab in the door with a big screwdriver (or whatever)

[​IMG]

Everything should push in now, then just put your screws in and enjoy your new latches.

[​IMG]

Additional note:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. scooterseats

scooterseats
    from East Texas

Great how to, thanks. Seeing your latch has reminded me of my Dad's Model A that he used for a work car from about 1950 - 1958. The driver side door latch had a section of Red rubber inner tube folded up and inserted in the open space behind the latch to provide the return spring that evidently was broken. As far as I know, this was still there when he sold the car in 1958 for $55. Poor folks had poor ways back then.

3. I completely understand, I have this hole in my driver's door (you can see it to the left of the handle below) that had a big long spring going from the door to the latch itself. It wasn't painted & covered up on the outside so I didn't notice it until I took the latch out and was baffled by this goofy spring. It was well rusted and worn so I am assuming it had been there for some time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    Just Gary likes this.
  4. boutlaw

boutlaw

Thanks Probesport. Very informative.

5. Bluedot

Bluedot

If I ever get my flippin' handles out of the doors, this tutorial will be terrific for putting things back together. Thanks Probesport! Much appreciated.

6. I was reading about your woes there. I don't have the patience for those issues and would probably end up cutting the handles off :)

7. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Great info Probesport. My next project is my '31 coupe after my '39 olds coupe. Always looking for how to tips. Thanks.

8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Thanks for posting the info. A couple things I would suggest is to check the wear marks on the existing latch parts, in some cases, they need to be welded up. Also look for sharp edges, as they shorten the spring life. Found this out by having a latch with new springs fail after several years.

9. Nice suggestions, I will add them to the first post.

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I struggled with mine but got them done.. Thanks for posting because I know I will forget the next time.......

11. Excellent tech article. Thanks!

hipster likes this.
  12. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Awesome. Just did it. Thanks for taking the time.

13. Calderon

Calderon
    from Amarillo

awesome info, I have been looking on line for this very info..... Taking my doors apart as we speak.

14. rgriesbeck

rgriesbeck
    from Vancouver

Thank you sooooooo much, previous owner put "poppers" in, this post saved me!! Putting back to proper now!

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  15. Also check to see that the holes aren't wallered out for the hinge pin. If so, either weld and redrill, or drill it out and use a bigger diameter pin.