Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What inspired your online name

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by in the weeds, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn’t want to use my given name (imagine surviving grade school with a name like Art).

Nicknames are given to you by others, and it’s presumptuous to assume your own, or so I’ve heard.

For years I’ve travelled with my neighbor, a dear friend and internationally known Hot Rod Artist, to most of the “gatherings” in the Northeast. I photograph cars, while he deals art work and composes the articles for magazine submission (not so much any more!).

He nicknamed me, and @ 70, I’m sticking with it.

2. A house painters wagon. :D :D :D

3. trollst

trollst

As a young man I rode with a rough crowd, became known as the Troll, someone bad tempered and willing to spread destruction, did not play well with others. I've grown into a mild mannered old bastard now, but still not to be fooled with.

4. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Used My Real Name In Case A Olde Friend Or Enemy Wanted To Communicate But Should Have Gone With Owen Hayes (O1As)... 0433c6_36c7ca59f11946c0993d856daadca5b2_jpg_srz_368_251_75_22_0_50_1_20_0.jpg

5. Nothing special, I happened to have a Link Wray song on when I joined up. If it was timed different it might have been Howling Wolf or The Who Quadrophenia.

6. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Always liked old cars, but especially Mercs. Something about Mercs gets in your blood. Will own one till I can't drive anymore.

7. Owned a couple 36s so that and what's short for my name ( I've been called a lot of STUFF)......VOILA!!! Now that I'm down to just my 36 Chevy, I may have to step up my game. Not real exciting I know. Mitch

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That qualifies as a big ass truck IMO. Love it.

Hombre, Deuces, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  9. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I have all my favorite Chevys and Fords.

10. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Was nicknamed Gomez by a friend at work since I'm part of the Adams family and I've done 4 Model A's so just seemed right.

11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

and "Wolfman Jack" had already been taken, right?;)

12. pitman

pitman

Double-entended! ;)
    Ask Cad-Lasalle.
    He'd always make the rod shows!

13. My best friend (RIP)and I moved to Oregon in the early '80's, his wife found a caption in one the small books. It showed a body man and a upholsterer, working on a Kustom. As his name is Bob (Bodyman) and I'm Sam(Trimmer), we decided on BS Kustoms.

14. To pickup Chicks!

cadillac 014.jpg

15. And up til now i thought you was bitchy Bob!!! Guess you gotta slow down and actually look at the name sometimes :D

16. LOL, I thought that also.

Boneyard51, Slopok, Hombre and 5 others like this.
  17. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Years ago I read a story about a guy racing in mexico in a Mustang from Mexico city to Acapulco, his navigator spoke English with a such a heavy Spanish accent so if he could take a corner at fullthrottle he would call out FOOL, FOOL, meaning take the corner at fullthrottle, years later I had the same experience with a Mexican navigator, the difference was because I have no talent as a race car driver and the contraption I was driving when I went into a corner at fullthrottle the navigator wasn't kidding when he yelled out Fool.

Attached Files:

18. Wow! That is a cool story. My first impression of you will forever be changed! ;):cool:

19. It's a long story. Here's the short...

Took a vacation to MT one summer and it forever changed my life.
    Some one gave me the nickname while I was in FL, and it stuck.
    I actually moved there for a few years.
    I started using it for my signature.
    As they say, "The rest is history!" ;)

20. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not very original when it comes up to making up names. I just went with the motorcycle I was riding at the time (Honda VTX1800). I was lucky enough to ride that bike to both coasts, following the Lewis and Clark trail going west and an Iron Butt on the east bound trip. The fall after the Iron Butt my riding buddy passed away, my shoulder deteriorated and now my "screen name" is a close to a motorcycle as I will ever come.

21. goldmountain

goldmountain

My ancestors came up with it. Scan-200416-0001.jpg

22. Lepus

Lepus

Mine is not car related.My wife and I have had 3 pet rabbits. Lepus ( appropriately pronounced leap-us ) is the genus of hares and jack rabbits.

23. I have owned one of my 1931 Dodge Brothers coupes since I was 15. I am now 67. I now own two 1931 Dodge Brothers coupes, hence the name "31Dodger". I go by "Keiser 31" on the AACA site. 16 year old John.jpg John Keiser and 1931 DB DH6.jpg

24. buford_59

buford_59

Buford is a long time nick name. Bedford is my last name, I'm 6'-4" and not small in stature. Walking Tall and Buford T. Pusser came out. Buf or Buford really stuck. I was also known as the "Ogre" in my hockey days and yes I carried a big stick. I'm also very big into Buicks ('59 wagon, '59 2 dr. post and '39 sedan). My daughter gave me buford_59 as my e-mail address and used it for my handle. My vanity plate is also BUFORD.

DoUg

25. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cheech and Chong 1967

26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In 1942,I should of ask Mom,but I could not talk yet.
    I have used my art name on a few places over the years;
    "The Bat" out of hell
    I used it doing pinstriping an crazy car T-shirts along with painting names on cars all in the late 1950s an early 60s.
    I got that as a nickname from my fellow teens in the late 1950s,I liked Bacardi rum.
    But I'm old enough now,that I've been called things I can't even spell !!!! 4716667_orig.jpg

27. Are you related to Tyrone Shoelaces?

rbrewer, CobraJoe, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  28. partssaloon

partssaloon

Have owned and been in the parts business most all my life, now retired. I always had it in the back of my head if I built another store I would make it look like an old saloon and decorate the interior the same way. My avatar is the storage shed in my back yard that holds my automotive stuff. (compressor, sandblaster, parts etc.)

29. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

From West Aussie, could only be Sandgroper. Besides all the cool aliases were already taken, lol.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

I discovered the old car hobby in 1961 when I was 10 years old, I was always the youngest guy in a car group. Model T & A Fords have always been my main interest, along with race cars and speed equipment. There was a monthly newsletter out of California called HOT LINE in the 1970's, very much like the HAMB. The editor Bill LaRosa started calling me "TheKid". When I joined the HAMB I was collecting parts to build a sister bike to the '37 Harley 45 Dad bought new, so I combined the two into The37Kid. I'll hit 70 in December, the Harley project turned into college payment money for the kids. If I could finish the Bobtail T race car in my avatar, and put the 1911 Hupmobile back together I'd be happy. Gave up on understanding wiring. Bob DSCF6248.JPG

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020