Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How to remove self etch primer from metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Christopher26, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Christopher26

Christopher26

Hello everyone, I have a 61 GMC, stripped it to bare metal, and used Eastwood’s high build self etch on it bc I was told by a couple old timers that the metal has to be etched after stripped bare.

Made sense to me seeing how I’m not really a body guy. But after doing some research and talking w Eastwood’s tech guys and a few others I was told that I’d be better off stripping the self etch off and putting epoxy on since this is my daily driver and I’ll be doing the body work over the spring and summer and that epoxy is a better primer for that and that self etch does not fair well in those conditions.

So after I get back to bare metal I was told that I can wipe it down with acetone and that would get rid of any etch residues before I spray the epoxy, is there any other options or ways to do it or is that the best idea? Just want to be sure before I put it on so I don’t have any more issues and have to strip it again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Instead of talking to Eastwood’s “tech guys” you need to talk to actual paint experts about this. Self etch primer has never been designed to put on in heavy coats. It is supposed to be put on very thin, and then the primer/surfacer on in heavy coats

3. C Corso

C Corso

Fellow Long Islander Here,
    I would think rather than strip the etch you could just epoxy over it.

4. Christopher26

Christopher26

You can’t epoxy over the self etch, it’s right on the can, I didn’t realize it either till after I got it, but had it in bare steel and didn’t want it to flash rust. Where about on the island you at Corso?

5. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Why would Eastwood even have a "highbuild etch primer" as said self etch goes on very thin then your primer of choice. High build etch makes no sense at all. Ralphie

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  6. Christopher26

Christopher26

Not really sure Ralphie. Like I said I’m not a body guy and went by a recommendation from an old timer and don’t think it was the best idea for me, maybe a different scenario but not for driving everyday and living in New England in the spring haha

7. Acetone will work and is probably the easiest. You could sand it off as well but wear some proper respiration because the dust is not something you want in your lungs.

8. Christopher26

Christopher26

And the acetone will neutralize anything in the self etch that would react with the epoxy if I’m thinking right K13 correct ?

9. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Acetone should clean it up pretty quick. Try not to smoke. When you spoke to the old-timer he probably used a zinc rich vinyl primer back in the day. The stuff was killer. Have to go to an industrial coatings company to get it today. Is this something you're gonna drive every day that would be exposed to salt air and also road salt?

10. It will remove everything but you should still do a quick sand again before applying the epoxy. That will remove any residue/surface contaminants that may be left behind. If it has been sitting with just etch on it for a while you could even have corrosions (might not be able to see it yet but it could still be there) starting on the panels that needs to be sanded off.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  11. Christopher26

Christopher26

Yes Pat, it’s exposed to everyday driving hazards, that’s why I’m switching to epoxy, I did not know at the time that etch wouldn’t give me any kind of corrosion protection, but yeas he prob had the super lethal stuff of the old days haha. Was thinking I’d take it off w sandpaper then wipe it down w acetone but got right might be worth sanding again beer the epoxy. I just did the etch two weeks ago so it’s fairly fresh but it’ll be in primer for a while till I finish the body work and patch panels that’s why I’m goin with epoxy

12. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I have the same problem in North Jersey. All hills and curves in salt everywhere Dodge pickup truck beds last about four years here before the wheel arches rust away. Good luck to you and your project.

13. Guess i don't get it. If you've already put a self etching primer over bare metal, then put some 2K urethane over that. Yeah epoxy over self etching is a waste of epoxy. But I'm lost.

14. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

asking "old timers" about paint is like asking old timers about computers, paint changes at a rapid pace and what may have worked for "old timers" may not work anymore.

reading the paint can is always a good idea, so is asking the guy at the paint store.

16. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Most of the paint the old timers used the been outlawed

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And for the very reason that it makes them remember the past wrong.*

*Posted from the kitchen. As to why I came in here, I have no idea.

clem likes this.