Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A question 49 fordolet??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Apr 16, 2020.

1. 90B0951A-0E61-4ADF-B1B8-433C10F8033D.jpeg 5CB159B2-5848-47F5-8332-039ACCD340D2.jpeg 3F898B4C-D619-4F44-B65D-77E84A54F577.jpeg Hey guys I got a question.

found a guy selling a 49 4 door shoebox.
    Clean car, built in the 90’s
    It’s a clean driver, smoothed, door poppers power trunk, newer bucket seats, some silly 90’s stuff on it ( Continental kit !!)

anyways power steering, power brakes drives very nice.

buuuuuuuuuttttttttt

it’s got a 305 Chevy and th350 for drive train!!

It’s well done install and drives great, just wondering what you guys think of value etc of a ford not having a ford in it.

catdad49 and chevy57dude like this.
  2. It would not bother me.

hotrodharry2 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. You do want to get back home don’t you ?

4. SBC/auto in running condition is a saleable item, especially if you can demonstrate them while still in the car. Nice chrome, Cragars. The visor would unbolt easily. Any rust issues? Love a bullet nose shoebox!

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. The car is clean
    Some scratches and scuffs on the paint but still very presentable

the chrome is great

Glass is good

it’s got newer bucket seats and a back seat, they are low slung buckets so it doesn’t look horrible, if I where to pull the trigger I might go back to stock bench seats or a older mustang, falcon etc bucket to make it look a little more period correct.

305/350 rear out of an s10 disc brakes on the front lowered uprights
    Blocks and air shocks on the rear.
    Power steering

drives great, if I pull the trigger on this only stuff it really needs is the conti kit removed, I’m on the fence with the visor
    Clean up the wiring and drive it

I was just in the fence with the sbc.

I know it’s a 79’s or 80’ssmog motor but I don’t really care about going fast, just cheap reliable fun that I can drive

catdad49 likes this.
  6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Low and slow!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. Hard to say.
    It's one of those debates, not unlike what brand of oil/spark plugs, etc. to use.
    Purists would have a hard time with it..but doubt there are many of those on this forum.
    SBC's have a large acceptance for obvious reasons, in many different applications.
    Good luck.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. I'd be more bothered by those two extra doors than the chevy motor.

Suzy, 62rebel, nochop and 6 others like this.
  9. For a driver, possibly back date the engine with some older valve covers and air cleaner. You could go the full route & find an intake with a fill tube.

town sedan and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. Slopok

Slopok

If it was powered by a Dodge, then I'd pass on it!:eek:;):rolleyes:

11. Hahahahaha!!!!!

Tri-power37 likes this.

12. Lol, I was thinking about this option as well.
    I do have a set of old edelebrock valve covers with no oil fill that I’ve kept for years.would look nice and grab an older style air filter assembly for it, maybe paint the engine blue ! Lol

the four doors don’t bother me in the least, most of my cars have been 4 doors as all you old nuggets drive the price of two doors through the roof where is young guys can’t afford them !!
    Lol

Tri-power37, catdad49 and chevy57dude like this.
  13. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Things like the visor, continental kit, twin spots & skirts were very common add on's back in late 40's thru late 50's and some combination of those went on many of the cool cars of that time period. We even removed the door and trunk handles and used starter solenoids to activate the latches but did not have the remote actuators like today. HHad to have a hidden push button somewhere to get in. Jimmie

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. If the price is right, buy it, drive it, enjoy it, and keep the hood shut in public.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what fence are you on? will I be accepted by others for having a non-original drivetrain fence? is one brand of motor more reliable than another fence? resale value fence? sounds like the car will provide you miles of smiles - especially after doing some personal preference changes - before you bolt on valve covers without breathers you make sure that there are good ways for motor to breath - being able to put oil in motor is a good thing too - if is in your financial comfort zone, sounds like a good driver to buy - right now car deals have really slowed down - so be sure to do some negotiations on price

16. @Jalopy Joker

I could care less about it having a 305 Chevy.
    I know with a flathead and dressed up it would be loads more $$$$

the price is good to me anyways.
    I just didn’t want to get stuck with something no one else would want.

I guess the “norm “ would have been a 302 or 351 kind of what I was expecting.

but if it doesn’t really effect value in a negative way the caresis waresis!!!

And no I’m not a guy that gets my briefs in a bunch of people question my sanity !!
    Lol

I guess this stems from me having the merc advertised and getting a bunch of wing nuts questioning why it’s a 302 and not a 390 why the interior is not original ( it’s got a galaxie 500 xl interior in it)
    I get pushed and respond, it’s for sale for xx,xxx NOT the 35-45 k it would be if it was original numbers matching !!!!
    Just frustrating sometimes,

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

Looks to me like a car that would have a 305 in it....nothing about the rest of the car says it should have a powerful engine.

If it's still for sale, and you like the price, and the car, then buy it. You won't be able to get your money back on it, but that's not usually why we buy cars, is it? If you're looking to flip it, good luck...

Tri-power37 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. @squirrel

not interested in flipping
    I buy what I like and have fun.

I have been lucky and never lost on a car, always seem to get my money back out of it ( not including my labour as I look at it as my hobby and not something I make money doing)

just don’t want to loose it all when eventually I get board with it and start looking at something else

Truckdoctor Andy and Tri-power37 like this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

The other guys who might have bought it at the current price, didn't buy it. So why would they buy it from you for the same price? :)

I don't know what to say...good luck with your decision.

Tri-power37, VANDENPLAS and 57 Fargo like this.
  20. :rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:

Why are you always so logical, and sensible ????

5480A6F5-6309-4A1C-A50B-AC716C1F06B6.jpeg

21. Yank the wedding tackle hanging out the back of it, drop it a ton and drive it.

22. The 305 wouldn’t be an issue for me. It’s a cruiser, not a drag car.
    The continental kit, newer seats and visor would be gone. I think the wheels would do the same. Chrome steelies or stock wheels and caps.

23. wvenfield

wvenfield

If you like it buy it. Outside of checking/changing the oil there isn't much reason there to pop the hood open anyway.

24. fuzzface

fuzzface

how many model a's are running around without a ford engine? They don't care and some bring good dollars.

you are not buying it to restore to original manufactures specs but to enjoy it.

wouldn't bother me at all.

25. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

1927 ford with a 49 Olds engine and 37 LaSalle trans. I like it a lot and Chevy engines too!:):cool::p:D:rolleyes: cold or wet.jpg

Tri-power37, 40FORDPU and VANDENPLAS like this.
  26. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Nice looking car to me the things that don’t suit the car in my small opinion are NOT the 305 or the 4 doors. It looks way to busy with the visor, continental kit, spot lights ,pinstriped flames and the style of wheels. The skirts look good but there seems to be 1 skirt missing.
    The SBC looks good in there but it could really be dressed up in a more nostalgic way.

The good news is it looks like a great car and the cosmetic changes you want could be fun and relatively easy to make.
    I just looked at the pictures again .....front seats look wierd.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. goldmountain

goldmountain

Chevy engines are traditional, just don't mention 305.

VANDENPLAS and Tri-power37 like this.
  28. It’s a dyslexic 350

Nostrebor, Tri-power37 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  29. hahahahaha :D

anthony myrick likes this.
  30. SBC's in a car are not a deal breaker; more the opposite. Most people, who would like to get in to the hobby, assume SBC, and automatics. I think it would be easier to move , if you wanted to sell later on.Why change what's already there, AND, running good. Now, if it was hurting, or dead, then do what you feel is best.
    Change the dress up items, if you have them.