Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 29 RPU- "Street/Strip" B/SR Build - Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This one is mostly welded (all I could do in the fixture), happy with the weight, 8-1/2 lbs with the hardware. IMG_4617.JPG IMG_4618.JPG

2. Those ladder bars are over the top! They look like sculpture.

3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,
    I really like the strips of aluminum trick. I made the mistake of trying to have the diagonals intersect the joint of the uprights and the longitudinal pieces. Way too much work and it doesn't even look good.
    I also like how the weld will capture the bung, upright and tube. Very cool!

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’ll have to try that flat strap method for miter angles, thanks for sharing that. Those ladder bars came out nice and like you said, a little personal touch. Cool.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,
    Just thinking, you could've made the bracing Capital M, Capital S. :D

loudbang and brEad like this.
  6. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Very nice work! They are a piece of art.

loudbang, Stogy and 31Apickup like this.
  7. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

loudbang, j hansen and Stogy like this.
  8. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Hey Marty. Those are some stout ladder bars. That's a lot of fitting and welding too, looks great.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. j hansen

j hansen

Clear coat!

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Marty, besides being beautiful those would win tech week hands down and your camera work really picks up the quality of your fitment and welding, did you use the camera that you got from Roo?
    I agree with Larry, it would be a shame to cover them with paint.
    On the other hand satin nickel sure would look good in my opinion, I used the scotchbrite method on mine to get the satin effect before plating.

bchctybob and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. AmishMike

AmishMike

Great ladder bars - but: for street use you have no allowance for any side motion with clevis one end & solid rod end on frame end. On my drag car I have heim joint on frame end for minimal angle change in rear. Hard to explain. Drive into driveway one wheel up suspension must/should allow rear to angle; seems you put lot of stress on clevis. Jack up just one side of rear to test. I building street modified with parallel 4 bar ( & panhard ) want to use heim on frame & small tie rod ends on front axle ( single bracket ) for lots of freedom to move. Rear will most likely have heim & Johnny joint held between twin brackets.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mike, I think you missed something I posted earlier, the solid rod ends will be for the strip and minimal street use. For long term street driving, I will use urethane ends. The bars will be pinched in the front, like So-Cal or P&J, and the mounts will be proper width for the poly ends, and will require spacers when the solid ends are in place. IMG_1076.JPG IMG_4591.JPG

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Doug, I like the idea of satin nickel, but where do you get any plating done in Oregon ? I haven't used the camera Roo sent, yet, but I will soon. See you around !

1947knuck, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  14. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Marty, I kind of agree with Mike, you may want to think about heim joints for the front. Any articulation between the frame and rear will try to break things. If you launch hard and lift one wheel more than the other you will get twist between the frame and rear.

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dale, I can always install high quality heims, and the bars will have the bolt on retainer loops, required by tech.

1947knuck, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. AmishMike

AmishMike

Saw bushing rod ends in early pics, wondered u never used. U the expect & yes drag inspectors will require those retainer loops. Never liked idea of front split A-bones & let axle flex take the strain. Ford had good idea of A-bones mounted center of car & let articulate on old rough roads. Love the car.

17. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Marty, I believe that would be a good idea. Nice talking to you today. We need to do that more often.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I was told that I needed a dropped headlight bar, and a chopped windshield and a V8.

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Marty, I had my electroless nickel plating done at TFC Plating, they are down Johnson Creek blvd. from Precision Castparts around 64th.

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

John, I really do have "A need for seed".

21. You guys might be overthinking this. My first RPU ran split '39 bones, and a torque arm along the right side of the drive shaft. The bones used stock ford rod ends and the torque arm used a large Heim joint threaded into a bronze bushing that slid inside a piece of tubing on the front of the arm. The arm bolted solid to the bell pattern on the QC. In 6 years of racing we never once had a problem with the rear end/arm mounting. Tore up some ring gears with the V8 QC. Fixed that with a larger Champ QC. After that it was a new clutch disc every two weekends. But that's another story.

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dean, I didn't realize you changed to a Champ rear axle, about what year did you make the change ?

23. Early '64 Marty. After tearing up the first ring and pinion, we welded a boss on the right axle bell and made a brass screw, I believe it was threaded 3/4-20, that screwed against the ring gear. This backed up the ring gear and kept it from moving away from the pinion. This worked for a few months, then, at the Winternationals, of all weekends, first pass on Saturday, the entire rear section of the QC busted completely off, and shot rearward about 15 feet. Indian Bob Beezer was doing his dance behind the roadster, and that flying QC half really put some pep in his step for a minute! I won't go into the thrash that got the car in line for eliminations at 2PM. So next we went to a Cook spool and axles. Got a few months with that, then destroyed another center section. Deciding that was enough, we pulled the Champ rear end out of our Bonneville Stude, and no more rear end problems. The roadster used a cross spring, and the Stude ran parallel leaf springs. Dad welded up some ingenious mounts that dutchman clamped to the axle housings and served as cross spring mounts. When an El Mirage weekend came along, we could swap the QC back into the Stude in under an hour.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  24. rooman

rooman

I am with Dean on the "overthinking" deal. There are lots of drag race cars out there with ladder bars and solid rod ends and pretty much all of them have the ladder bars parallel whereas in Marty's case the front of the bars are close together (same as the P & J style street rod deal which has its origins in the Chevy pick up trailing arm package). Putting heims at the front of the bars won't let them articulate any more than with the solid ends because the ball in the heim can't rotate unless the bars move up and down relative to each other. If the bars came to a single point and there was just one heim then articulation would be possible but then you have basically what Ford used for years with the torque tube. With the bushed ends that Marty plans to use on the street there will be more than enough articulation.
    Also, look at Marty's track roadsters which use split wishbones spaced the width of the frame rails--lots of street miles on them with no adverse effects.

Roo

25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I hate to correct you my friend, but the "truck arm" originated with the '49 Olds ! America's first Muscle Car, in my mind. Thanks for your input ! 2012-10-02 174202.jpg

26. AmishMike

AmishMike

NASCAR boys run truck arm rear for years - May still

27. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Isn't this a more traditional version of the ladder bar/ Truck arm rear end setup?
    [​IMG]
    Another example - this one utilising a torque arm
    [​IMG]
    Stole the pics from the interweb, so Kudos to the owners.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Is it too late to build it as a COE ? Nah, I moved the body ahead to install the ladder bars ! More tomorrow. IMG_4624.JPG

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Today, I got the ladder bar crossmember tube, bent and fit into place, along with a rough ladder bar mock-up. The solid rod ends should arrive tomorrow, then I can fab the link plates, looking at having multiple holes for adjustment. IMG_4629.JPG IMG_4630.JPG IMG_4638.JPG IMG_4632.JPG IMG_4637.JPG IMG_4639.JPG

30. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Atwater Mike, bchctybob, OFT and 2 others like this.