Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Greasemonkey's 37 Chevrolet Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemonkey54, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Its been waaaaaay to long since i last worked on the car. Had a busy October so far on everything but the car. Tonight i removed the gauges and all the wiring under the dash. I also got the master cylinder and all the plumbing out of the car.

I also noticed the pictures are down. I will see what I can do to bring them back

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. raymay

raymay

My Chopped 37 Chevy Sedan dash. Mounted one of my AC/ heat vents, radio and switches in the center.

IMG_6227.JPG

volvobrynk and greasemonkey54 like this.
  3. Your gauge cluster looks similar to my plans. Where are your other ac vents?

4. raymay

raymay

The round vents are on either side of the dash and one in the middle.

IMG_6233.JPG IMG_6234.JPG

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  5. Thought I had a free weekend to work on the car... HAAA!

Dishwasher started leaking and warped my kitchen floor. I'm a house mechanic this weekend instead. Maybe next weekend

Attached Files:

6. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Ugh, I hate water leaks. Good luck with that. I'm being house electrician this weekend, removing and redoing some legal but ugly work done by professionals to bring it up to current code compliance.

greasemonkey54 and volvobrynk like this.
  7. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Matt did you ever get your rear tires and wheels ?

8. No sir. Im still trying to schedule a time with my dad to get the rear from his storage spot. I want to mount the rear before ordering rims and tires

9. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah yes the house...the place you go when you just can't keep your eyes open anymore in the garage. That needs attention too.

10. Was able to get the rear today, 59 Ford 9 inch dad salvaged from a wagon around 1990.

Attached Files:

11. That rearend should work good, the width is right.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  12. Which is????

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Thats what I've heard. Dad knew a guy who put one in a 38 so he grabbed it for the car when he saw the wagon.

Degreased and cleaned up the outside of the axle today. This weekend should bring more updates as long as the house doesn't break or i get sick again

14. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Matt what's shake'n on the 2 dr ?

15. 57-59 Ford Rearend is approx 58.5 inches width at wheel mounting surface. Which is just nice for the 37 Chevy sedan. A 55-57 Chevy rear will also work, but is a bit wider at approx 60.5 inches.

16. Thanks for the update.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. Not much has happened lately. Got my 9 inch taken apart. The center section appears to be in good shape, bearings turn free and it has 3.56 gears. The axles need new bearings and the bolt pattern changed.

The axle is about the same width as the factory axle but needs the spring perches moved out 1 inch each.

Unfortunately its been slow going for me lately.

lothiandon1940 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  18. Its been a while with no work until the last 2 days. I removed the front brakes, steering linkages, and shocks and out back removed the rear axle and shocks and springs. I still need to remove the steering box and the front springs to replace the bushings and the spindles to replace the kingpins.

Attached Files:

19. Also this disassembly has been fun seeing how stuff was done back then. The friction shocks, tie rods, torque tube, etc. Its all cool and different

20. Not much happening this weekend. Possibly some clean up while waiting on parts. Next weekend i have a friend welding new perches on my rear.

lothiandon1940 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  21. Way too long since last update. I was in a car accident and out of service for a little while, then decided to move to Florida. When that was decided the car needed to be put back together. I installed the 9inch rear, rebuilt the rear spring hangers/bushings, installed my motor and trans, and reinstalled the front sheet metal. 20160412_205315.jpg 20160413_172741.jpg 20160413_230115.jpg

22. Wow it's been 4 years exactly since I've posted in this thread. Unfortunately there has been zero progress on the car. Since then I moved from MD to FL and between moving costs and new home expenses, exploring our new area and watching my daughter grow I haven't finished cleaning the garage or car. With the Corona virus I've had extra time at home to clean out the garage finally. This evening the car got pushed out for a bath. Once back in the garage I sat behind the wheel for a while (on a beach chair) while going over my notes and dreaming. I will be ordering some parts soon and starting to work on the ol car again. 20200414_192734.jpg 20200414_220138.jpg

23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Glad you hung on to it, you’ll be glad you did.

24. Keep pushing forward with the '37, Matt. Lookin' good...........Hope to see you drive it up to Maryland sometime in the future..........Don.

Bowtie Coupe and greasemonkey54 like this.
  25. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

yeah, I'd like to see it at the Rod Round-Up in Cumberland

Attached Files:

26. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I first built my 38 Chevy I used a short water pump and mechanical fan with a clutch/brake combo off of the firewall. I set the motor fairly close to the firewall and it fit. I didn't really like the dual truck clutch/brake master cylinder hanging off of the firewall so I modified the original floor mount pedals to operated the brake and clutch which necessitated moving the engine ahead and to the right so the brake pedal had adequate room. That forced the move to a pusher electric fan. It works, but not that well probably because there is no shroud on it and it probably just isn't enough fan. Driving down the road it's just fine.

I probably should have done more mock ups to determine just how far forward I needed to move the engine, I would encourage you to do likewise:)

27. Thanks for the tip. If you are willing to listen one of the best ways to learn is by seeing what others did before you. I plan on doing lots of mock ups to get everything as close as I can

28. Did some research over the last few days and ordered the rear end mounting kit from Butch's Cool Stuff. Hopefully it doesn't take forever to ship. I've got a little more organizing in the garage to do and then I will start teardown

29. Got a delivery from Butch's cool stuff today! 20200428_120050.jpg 20200428_120132.jpg 20200428_120117_1588091199543.jpg